Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2009, 07:46 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Haha, this thread needs a Timeout and a Restart.

05-27-2009, 07:49 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Settle down, folks!

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by JCPentax Quote
Finally, please keep things civilized (or I will just stop posting here)
Seems you already have...
And you wonder why...

Come on, people! This thread is an "olive branch" (google it) no matter what color. If you want "answers from Pentax" (as opposed to 3rd hand speculation) make them feel welcome and disprove whatever misgivings they might have by being patient and accepting of their opinions. So far, this thread has only shown me that, indeed, the forums on Dpreview are more civilized (or at least more mature in dealing with Pentax people).

That said, I had most of my K-7 questions answered by David and Dan of Pentax Canada last weekend (while playing with a pre-prod. K-7!). One thing that I *am* wondering is:

- if the AEB and mirror-lockup functions can be "decoupled" from that single menu, so that we can have MLU *during* AEB. With the current "one-shutter press AEB" Custom function, this seems like a no-brainer, outside of how to do it in the K-7 menu interface I saw.

-Mark
05-27-2009, 07:50 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

although I have not seen a single answer yet, I will post my 2 questions.

1) will the K7 support TTL flash also, for use with non A lenses

2) will the K7 address the metering problems with non A lenses that have plagued the K10D and K20D. either by correcting the metering, or allowing input of maximum lens aperture (just like focal length) and compensating for errors when stopped down by the green button
05-27-2009, 08:11 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by walter Quote
What is the maximum number of pictures the time-lapse feature can be configured for? (I'm hoping it's more than the 99 of my K20D)

Thanks!
Still 99 images.

05-27-2009, 08:15 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
Ok relax guys... why don't we get back to the original purpose of this thread?
Which is asking questions for K-7 features
John C is very helpful at DPreview. I'd asked a couple of questions over there and he answered promptly in a concise and good manner too.

Maybe John hasn't known enough good people here in this forum yet.
I'm sure he'll change his POV once he gets to know most of us here.

So welcome aboard, John.
My first question is: Is it possible for Pentax to update K-7's firmware in the future regarding video mode just like what Canon did to 5DM2? Full aperture, shutter speed, ISO...and maybe functioning AF too?

Also, Adam (the admin) and I was trying to contact Pentax USA to see if we at PentaxForums can get a loaner for K-7 for full review since we just open a full section for a Complete & Exclusive Pentax Camera review. Do you think this is possible?
We have several highly capable/world class photographer here in this forum that are willing to support.

Thanks John for doing this. You and Pentax are a good example of a big company that truly listen to their customers.

Cheers,

We have some further information on video, but are waiting to get approval to share.

For a review sample, you will have to check with Michelle Marting in PR. It likely wouldn't be any of the samples we have now (they are all spoken for), but possibly down the road.
05-27-2009, 08:20 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
My questions:

1. What options exactly are in the bracketing menu? The same as K20?
I.e. 3/5 images with max. +/-2?

2. Can the Auto-ISO limits be set with the ISO button?
I see that the limits setting is now within the menu, which is not very comfortable.

3. What is the difference between the Program Lines "Minimize DoF" and "Action"?

4. Can you combine Bracketing with MLU? How?

1) You can set bracketing using the shutter release, self timer, or remote control. You can also set 3 or 5 images, and the range is +/- 5 EV. This is all accessed through the same menu option, which really makes is much more effective than a dedicated button.

2) No, but it can be accessed through the quick menu (press of the INFO button).

3) They will actually be relatively similar (doing the same thing in a different way).

4) No, auto bracketing and MLU are accessed through the same menu. It looks like it is one or the other.
05-27-2009, 08:22 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
O.K. - I ignore the somewhat strange introduction, despite agreeing completely with Mike – and ask my 2 questions about the K7:

- can the long exposure time noise reduction be switched off?

- will the firmware update cycle be improved? Because the K10 still would need an update, but has been banned into the Pentax Nirvana

Thanks,
Ben
First question was answered previously, but yes it can.

Firmware is updated when our engineers feel it is necessary.

05-27-2009, 08:25 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Hi John. Thanks for stopping by. I think a lot of us have followed the DPreview threads, so those basics are pretty well covered. I have a different kind of question, which is: how much technical influence does Pentax USA have?

I ask because, in asking questions of Pentax about my K10D and then again in researching for my flash guide, I often got the response that Pentax Japan doesn't provide that information to Pentax USA. In fact, this is the standard response to 90% of questions to which the answer can't just be found in the manual in the first place. (I want to be clear that Pentax customer support has been very helpful overall, though.)

Adding to this, I noticed the comment about the early information that the K100D had rotational SR being due to a mistranslation, and your recent comment that you wouldn't know if the K-7 comes with a fancy neck strap until it ships.

All of this adds up to a sense that Pentax USA is basically an importer and reseller of what's essentially another company's product. A dedicated, exclusive importer with a close relationship, of course, but still basically removed.

Is this characterization unfair?
Most defenitely unfair. We do have input but product developement and engineering is ALL done in Japan. Not sure if you have worked with a Japanese company before or not, but there are cultural and language barriers (I have lived in Japan, but don't speak the language, so can get around some of the cultural stuff).

And to be honest, some of the more technical information on flashes is defenitely hard to come by. I don't know if they are trade secrets, or some other reason, but this has always been the issue (for my 14 years at Pentax).
05-27-2009, 08:27 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
That was one terrible way to start. In case you are unaware, many gravitated here due to a lot of infighting at dpreview... Think of it as Pentax/dpreview/ ellis island. Apparently the witchhunt bannings and friend supporters leaving has culled the herd...

Apparently neither do we... but we forgive you. (sorry for the assumption of speaking for the masses)

Seems you already have...

Me too but let's give it a rest.....

This and other posts kind of prove my point.

P.S. I have followed the Pentax Forums since they started, so don't be too hasty to make assumptions.
05-27-2009, 08:30 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
On K20D the on/off collar can be set to do one or the other. Both have their place.

1. On K7 is it possible to access both without going into menu? Seperate controls would be nice.
2. Have we lost the choice between 2 sec & 3 sec mirror lockup?
3. Can the dark frame subtraction noise reduction be absolutely turned off? This K20D feature caused me to keep the K10D as backup instead of buying 2nd K20D.
4. Will BG4 grip have a harder to hit accidently shutter button?
thanks
barondla
1) Same set-up as on the previous models (with the exception of Live View, which has its own button.)

2) Yes, there is an option for the 2-second timer or MLU.

3) Already answered, but yes.

4) Nope, about the same (and I certainly understand your frustration on this one.)
05-27-2009, 08:31 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Thanks for taking the time to do this, John.

I read somewhere that there are some improvements to manual focus for the K-7 over previous models. Besides the 100% viewfinder coverage, what would these improvements be referring to? How would you rate the manual focus capability of the K-7 versus the K20D?

I've been monitoring both threads on DPreview but I don't think that has been touched on yet, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks.
05-27-2009, 08:33 AM   #27
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
O.K. he may know a thing or two, but there seem to be a few things he doesn't quite get:

1. You can't appoint yourself as a Moderator "This thread is for feature questions only. Any questions about image quality, high ISO noise, etc. will be ignored." and "Before asking questions here, please check the two DP Review threads below. If it was asked in either of these threads, and it is not a quick response, I am not going to answer it here:"

2. "the DP Review forums are a bit more civilized, so I pick them first." IS offensive, he had to have realized that it would be offensive, so the preceding comment of "(but not to offend anyone here)" is pretty much meaningless.

Neither do I. The comment "and remember....as far as I know, I am the only person from Pentax posting here (at least with the amount of knowledge I have - not to brag). If you don't hear it from me, and this applies to any post, take it with a big grain of salt." just may qualify you as the most arrogant, egotistical, self righteous person to ever post here; but hey, no offense intended and welcome to the forum.
Another post proving my point. I am not moderating this forum, but I can certainly decide who and what I respond to. My comment about the grain of salt has to do with the huge number of rumors found here. I guess I am willing to give the "official" point of view.
05-27-2009, 08:36 AM   #28
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
And you wonder why...

Come on, people! This thread is an "olive branch" (google it) no matter what color. If you want "answers from Pentax" (as opposed to 3rd hand speculation) make them feel welcome and disprove whatever misgivings they might have by being patient and accepting of their opinions. So far, this thread has only shown me that, indeed, the forums on Dpreview are more civilized (or at least more mature in dealing with Pentax people).

That said, I had most of my K-7 questions answered by David and Dan of Pentax Canada last weekend (while playing with a pre-prod. K-7!). One thing that I *am* wondering is:

- if the AEB and mirror-lockup functions can be "decoupled" from that single menu, so that we can have MLU *during* AEB. With the current "one-shutter press AEB" Custom function, this seems like a no-brainer, outside of how to do it in the K-7 menu interface I saw.

-Mark
I agree it is not perfect. It almost seems like our engineers gave up one thing to have more control in another. I won't judge if it is right or wrong because I haven't used AEB since the film days.
05-27-2009, 08:38 AM   #29
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
although I have not seen a single answer yet, I will post my 2 questions.

1) will the K7 support TTL flash also, for use with non A lenses

2) will the K7 address the metering problems with non A lenses that have plagued the K10D and K20D. either by correcting the metering, or allowing input of maximum lens aperture (just like focal length) and compensating for errors when stopped down by the green button
You guys need to let me get some sleep.

1) I am not really sure on this one.

2) I am sure it is always a goal to improve the performance. Hopefully the new metering system and aperture control mechanism will help here.
05-27-2009, 08:40 AM   #30
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Thanks for taking the time to do this, John.

I read somewhere that there are some improvements to manual focus for the K-7 over previous models. Besides the 100% viewfinder coverage, what would these improvements be referring to? How would you rate the manual focus capability of the K-7 versus the K20D?

I've been monitoring both threads on DPreview but I don't think that has been touched on yet, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks.
This mainly has to do with the brightness of the focusing screens. The image you see through the viewfinder will be brighter and crisper; therefore, it will be easier to manually focus.