Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2009, 09:34 PM   #76

Is the plan to have faster contrast detect AF by using SDM lenses with new chips?

If so, can existing SDM lenses be easily upgraded to take advantage of the new faster contrast detect AF?

I think Roland Mabo alluded to something about this.

Thanks for the great support.

05-27-2009, 09:49 PM   #77
Veteran Member

John,

Is there any chance that we will get possibility to remap RAW button to some other function.

I never use RAW button on my K20D. I often use bracketing button on K20D. The fact that bracketing button is gone from K-7 is vary sad for me.

Also little poll made in this forum shows that much more Pentaxians are using bracketing button than RAW button:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/60149-raw-bracketi...k10d-k20d.html

Please puch Pentax Japan to allow assignment to RAW button some other function, for example bracketing button
05-27-2009, 10:09 PM   #78
Forum Member

Hi John,

Here's my questions.

1. Is there a limit to how much barrel distortion the K-7 can correct? i.e., could it "de-fish" or correct the DA 10-17 fisheye?

2. Are all types of chromatic aberations fixed?

3. Is vignetting corrected in camera as well?

4. Is the "in-camera" RAW converter the same or has it been improved?

Thanks!
05-27-2009, 10:15 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by anthropas Quote
Hi John,

Here's my questions.

1. Is there a limit to how much barrel distortion the K-7 can correct? i.e., could it "de-fish" or correct the DA 10-17 fisheye?

Thanks!

That, my friend, is an awesome question. If that is the case, I just might re-purchase the 10-17 :-D

05-27-2009, 10:18 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JCPentax Quote
You buy the camera with the coupon in the box and the lens with a rebate within a reasonable time. Submit the coupon and your receipt and in a few weeks you get the gift card (it works just like a regular Visa.)

And yes, this is essentially a rebate tied to the purchase of the camera.
Ah, great to hear. One more question, what's a "reasonable time"? Would it include purchasing the 16-50 before the K-7? :-D I'm all jittery about my new future setup of a K-7 + *16-50mm that I'm dying to buy what I can buy now, now (despite the fact I won't even be able to use it, since I've already sold my K20D :-DDDD Maybe I'll try mounting it on my Super Program :-DDD).
05-27-2009, 11:47 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
"Don't know if this question is allowed. Why was not K-7 provided with "uncrippled KAF2 mount"? That would have been great for a camera of that calibre. We could have avoided that extra step of pressing the green button (for stopped down metering)."
This kind of comment always blows me away. Pentax offers an unprecended level of backward lens compatibility, but it is still criticized.
Yes, because it could be better.
Nikon provides an aperture coupler. Pentax doesn't. Why?
Metering with M and K lenses is a mess. This is documented here exhaustively.
Backward lens compatibility isn't really that great.

Btw. the Green Button functionality has been added only after massive pressure from users in the istD.
So, Pentax, please, give us the stop-down coupler back.
If the K7 would have had it, I would have said "Wow", but so ...

05-28-2009, 12:57 AM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Yes, because it could be better.
Nikon provides an aperture coupler. Pentax doesn't. Why?
Metering with M and K lenses is a mess. This is documented here exhaustively.
Backward lens compatibility isn't really that great.

Btw. the Green Button functionality has been added only after massive pressure from users in the istD.
So, Pentax, please, give us the stop-down coupler back.
If the K7 would have had it, I would have said "Wow", but so ...

I have to agree and disagree with you here. A brief (and hopefully factual ) history.
*ist-D was sold on the premise of backward compatibility but in reality was quite crippled. This was later rectified in a firmware release (conspiracy theory 1: It was a test as to the acceptance of a very limited amount of backward compatibility in order to drive new lens sales).
Next *ist series were all fine (DS, DL ect). K100 was fine K10/20 and, I assume, 200 now have a new problem with manual metering/older lenses due to the new bright matte screen. This was just an unfortunate side effect of the new marketing goal of making a brighter viewfinder. Possibly this screen was cheaper to manufacture as well (sort of conspiracy theory #2 and you could add a second attempt at #1 if you want). This did actually keep me from upgrading my D. I did get a K200 for work but would not make it "my camera".
As to the coupler, as nice as it would be I find that there just has to be things thrown out along the line. Nobody wants to believe it and it hurts more when it's your "favorite thing".
Kudos for Pentax actually driving backward compatibility into other brands and I believe they truely influenced the big 2 here. Trend seemed to be going the other way...
until I see the image quality of the k-7 and how it handles "m" lenses I'm still not sold but it's looking good so far.
It's always up to maketing to make mountains out of mole hills.......

05-28-2009, 01:21 AM   #83

Video and K-Series lenses

I haven't seen this asked, so here it goes:

1. How will the aperture control in video work with older, K non-A or M42 lenses? Will the camera stop them down while shooting? Will a M42 lens set to "manual" aperture (some lenses have that option) effectively give real-time aperture control, as it stops down independent to the camera?

2. Will AE work in video? Will we be able to effectively choose a shutter speed and make it "stick"?

Also, slightly off-topic, can a older lens be modded to get rid of the "clicks" in aperture ring operation (just a short answer or a pm, I don't want to derail the thread)?

The reason I ask is that I still have a K 50mm f/1.2 I held on to and would buy the K7 if only to shoot video with it
05-28-2009, 02:01 AM   #84
Veteran Member

Jeff you are right about almost everything.
I disagree with you on this one:
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
As to the coupler, as nice as it would be I find that there just has to be things thrown out along the line.
That's exactly the question.
Millions of lenses would benefit greatly from this feature.
It would not be that costly.
It would show dedication on the part of Pentax.
05-28-2009, 02:08 AM   #85
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by anthropas Quote
Hi John,

Here's my questions.

I read somewhere the correction did not work on the 10-17mm but as it wasn't here I would take that with a big grain of salt until it is confirmed.
05-28-2009, 02:09 AM   #86
Veteran Member

1) Yes, the actual eyepiece "rails" that the magnifier attached to is the same.

2) I am left eye dominant and haven't had a problem

***Funny aside, when I shot film I noticed a color shift between my right and left eyes (once heard it was due to high blood pressure). So, when I shot Velvia, I looked through the viewfinder with my left eye, and when I shot Kodachrome I would look through my right.****

3) We are including a rebate coupon with all K-7's shipped in the US (if you don't get the coupon, you likely have a grey market camera). They are numbered, and no copies are accepted (to keep fraud down). The rebate is paid out in the form of a Visa gift card. The coupon includes the following:

DA 17-70 - $90
DA 55-300 - $60
DA 10-17 - $90
DA 40 Limited - $60
DA* 16-50 - $100
AF 360FGZ - $25
AF 540FGZ - $25
8x36 DCF NV binos - $30
10x36 DCF NV binos - $30
8x25 UCF WP - $20
10x25 UCF WP - $20

4) While the timeline in the post looks "offocial" I suspect it is a fake. We have not seen any updated lens roadmap and when they distribute this type of thing is comes to all countries. I know everyone in the marketing department in Japan that puts these together and none of them would leak this.

As far as availability on the K-7 and the two new WR lenses, we are looking at early to mid-July.

Thanks for your info. Looking forward to it
05-28-2009, 02:21 AM   #87

1-4) No. Once you cycle the power the four way controller reverts back to function buttons.

5) Yes, I can change the focus point, change the aperture, then go back and change focus points again without having to press the OK button.

6) Yes, same as above.
for this question, is it possible to add a feature:
1. allow user to change the focal point once we click the AF / shutter button.
2. remap the raw button to function like this?
05-28-2009, 02:56 AM   #88
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
I read somewhere the correction did not work on the 10-17mm but as it wasn't here I would take that with a big grain of salt until it is confirmed.
Not that it didnt work, but it was disabled because distortion is part of the point of a fisheye
05-28-2009, 04:28 AM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
John
Also little poll made in this forum shows that much more Pentaxians are using bracketing button than RAW button:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/60149-raw-bracketi...k10d-k20d.html
You maybe right, but not only is that poll very unscientific, your sample size is way too small to draw
any real conclusions.

Now, what I want is to reassign is the delete button. I rarely use it (memory is cheap!) and would hate to hit it by accident.
05-28-2009, 05:06 AM   #90

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Outdoor enthusiast's Dream

Again, thank you for all the attention you're giving to the questions here.

This is more of a suggestion... With the nicely compact all metal body, weather seal, cold resistance, faster FPS rate AND 1/8000th shutter speed Pentax really needs to market this camera in outdoor sports or National Geographic type magazines. The K-7 has extraordinary adventure travel potential. Couple that with the battery grip that accepts AA's and HD video and its a real no-brainer.

..and of course if you stumble across a clean SMC Pentax-A 20mm F2.8 in a street market in Dakar for $50 - you can just clip it on the front of your K-7 , no worries about it not being compatible.

Last edited by theprisoner6; 05-28-2009 at 05:18 AM. Reason: typo