Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2007, 06:56 AM   #16
dbh
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Another option: I have my camera set for RAW only, but before doing that I set it for the smallest size, medium quality, bright and +1 sharp JPG.

Now when shooting I get only RAW files, but when I feel like it, pressing the RAW button adds a small JPG. Might be nice to be able to customize this button, however I'd likely end up setting it to do that anyway.
--
dbh

04-24-2007, 09:42 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
I worry not just about the space, but also about the management of the files. Whenever you have duplicate files, you have to worry about which one is the "master" - the one you want to keep.

Not saying this is not a solvable problem. I'm just glad not to have it. If I were to start shooting Raw+JPEG, I'd have to establish some new and careful rules about handling image files.
I've posted my workflow in the "other" forum, but a long, long time ago. What I do is use a master firewire drive to back up my SD cards. They go into a directory named by the date and possibly a one or two word description of the main subject matter. For example:

20070424_Devils_Punchbowl

Under that directory, I have a JPEG directory that holds the camera produced JPEG images, (if I shot in JPEG mode). There might also be a PEF directory, if I shot in RAW (especially with the DS and K100D). With the K10D, there may be a DNG directory which will contain the camera produced DNG files.

On the DS and K100D, the DNG directory contained the Adobe DNG Converter created DNG files from the original PEF files. I went through the trouble of converting PEF to DNG, just in case future software no longer supported PEF files.

Finally, a directory might contain a "browse" sub-directory, which contains Adobe Bridge created reduced resolution JPEG images created from the PEF (or DNG) files. These are use for only computer browse purposes and are never given out to anyone.

When I've collected 4Gb of data, I backup to three DVD disks. One I keep at work, one at home, and the third for use as a working copy. Only when I verify the three disks do I delete the files off of the firewire drive.

I label the disks with a sharpie with the camera body and a sequential series number. On the bottom, I list the inclusive dates and inclusive frame numbers. (I'm up to DVD #25 for my first DS body, DVD disk #3 for the second DS body, DVD disk #10 for the K10D, and only DVD disk #4 for the K100D. The DS bodies have pretty much been retired and will be sold soon to someone who may be able to make use of them.)

System works for me. Only thing I still need is to create is a text file of the directory names from each disk. That way, I can easily search by date and/or subject matter, (based on the directory name). This past weekend, my daughter asked for some pictures from a family function. I had to ask the date of the function. Knowing that, I went right to the appropriate disk and burned her images onto a new disk.

QuoteQuote:
I shoot PEF because the files are so much smaller than DNG. And I don't see the conversion step. Lightroom automatically converts files to DNG upon import. The process of conversion is invisible to me.
I'll have to compare the sizes of the PEF and DNG files again. Looks like PEF files are now much smaller than DNG files. If so, I'll switch my K10D to PEF and revert to the old procedure to create DNG files using the Adobe DNG converter.

I'll still shoot PEF+, as the JPEG files are useful (for me). Thanks for the info. I'm learning something from this thread.
04-24-2007, 10:25 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am thinking that the next new computer anyone buys will easily handle multiple RAW conversions etc... dont worry about the CPU, it will quickly catch up.

Also, the disk space... just gets cheaper.

But, Will get it right by me (as usual), its the management of the files. Dont do the wrong thing to make the computer's job easier! it works for you. Organize the files and the process to streamline what you have to do.

also, Picasa2 shows me my RAW files, no need to avoid RAW to save $$ on SW either. although I do wonder if Picasa is showing the embedded thumbnail or processing the RAW?
04-24-2007, 11:30 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
When I've collected 4Gb of data, I backup to three DVD disks. One I keep at work, one at home, and the third for use as a working copy. Only when I verify the three disks do I delete the files off of the firewire drive.
It seems that a main difference between your workflow and mine is that you do not delete image files until you've backed up EVERYTHING. That is no doubt the safest procedure. It is not however the easiest. I actually tend to review images right in Lightroom while it's still importing them from the card. If a photo really sucks - completely out of focus or simply a piece of krap - I mark it for deletion, and when the import process is finished, I filter the image set to find those marked files, review them quickly to confirm they're all losers, and then I delete them immediately. The downside of course is that it's possible I could make a mistake. But it's a small chance and has never happened. And the upside is that I don't waste storage space on lousy files and I don't have to keep wading through them as I post-process.

But this workflow works well for me because I only have ONE original of each file, namely, the Raw file. If it's a loser, I only have to delete one file. If it's worth keeping, I always keep the Raw - even if I don't convert it to JPEG and share it with anyone. I end up with two entire systems - Raw originals in one folder hierarchy, processed JPEGS in another. There are no more than half as many files in the processed folders as in the original folders. I am a little looser about backing up the JPEGs, too, I confess. The files that really matter to me are the Raw originals, and those get saved to CD as soon as the import is done.

Many, many different ways to skin this cat!

Will