Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2009, 10:25 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jfsavage Quote
I only ever looked at the lower end Olympus cameras, and they were 'keyhole viewfinders', which removed Olympus from my consideration immediately. How does the E-3 compare with the K20 - have they managed to make it as big and bright? If they have, then bigger viewfinders should be possible for APS-C cameras as well. One of the things I loved about the Canon 5D was the viewfinder.
Pretty much the same size I guess! I was pleasantly surprised when I used the E-3, the viewfinder's great. The proportions are different though, it's 'squarer' hehe. Pretty cool though.

I know what you mean about the other Oly viewfinders but the E-3 was great.

One thing I really pretty cool is the eyepiece shutter hehe.

I ALMOST bought the E-3 over the K20D. It's a real pleasure to use, it's a very fast and responsive system, and they have the best zooms that are sealed too! Imagine the coverage of these two lenses:

# ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-60mm (24-120mm) 1:2.8-4.0 SWD
# ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 50-200mm (100-400mm) 1:2.8-3.5 SWD

You've got effective FOV of 24mm-400mm in 2 lenses, with f/2.8-4 and f/2.8/3.5! And those two lenses are VERY sharp all the way to the corners!

The deal-killer was the sensor

From dpreview:

Viewfinder

One of the big differences between the E-3 and just about every other Four-Thirds SLR ever made is that Olympus has put a huge amount of effort into producing a viewfinder that doesn't suffer from the 'looking down a tunnel' problem arising from the smaller sensor format. And to its credit the result is very impressive; with a true 100% field of view and 1.15x magnification it's as good as most APS sensor cameras, and a good deal better than many. There is an eyepiece shutter (for ensuring accurate metering in live view mode) and a dioptre adjustment dial just to the right of the eyepiece.

Comparing the E-3's viewfinder directly to the Nikon D300 and the Canon EOS 40D it's obvious that Olympus has done a superb job of overcoming the limitations imposed by the smaller format - it's easily as big and as bright (in fact the 4:3 format means it's actually slightly larger).

The viewfinder isn't only bigger and brighter than previous E-System cameras; there's differences in what you see when you look through it too. Obviously there's now more focus points (up from three to 11), but we were also pleased to see that Olympus has moved the (redesigned) information display back to the bottom of the frame too (consumer level E-system cameras have their information displays to he right of the frame, which is much more difficult to see).

Viewfinder information is comprehensive and, importantly, includes ISO sensitivity.

06-04-2009, 12:25 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Those are pretty impressive specs. My big camera is .7x with 100% -- I can't even imagine what 1.15x on FF would be like! The viewfinder shutter is a nice feature to have too; I thought it seemed a little silly at first but have found it useful on my 1Ds (the others don't have it).
06-07-2009, 11:18 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
Guys, I tried, on very limited funds, to snag a pentax DSLR, but could not. I then caught a E-500 olympus. Yes the VF is very small but crisp. But the big supprise is the pictures. People are always talking specs. but the eye sees more than specs. Go take a look before passing judgement, based on someone elses "numbers". I still intend to buy a Pentax mostly on two differances.

1 VF
2 Pentax is headed in the direction I want to go.(I think) Who can be sure?

I am especially interested in the new smaller K-7. After hands-on I may not like it.

Just some thoughts from an old man that has never been able to find that "perfect" camera.

I currently have 7 or 8 and 2 on the way, all but one a mix of Olympus and Pentax. One Maxxum 9000

I'm still looking. It's half the fun of photography for me.

Steve N
06-08-2009, 03:05 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by snkenai Quote
Guys, I tried, on very limited funds, to snag a pentax DSLR, but could not. I then caught a E-500 olympus. Yes the VF is very small but crisp. But the big supprise is the pictures. People are always talking specs. but the eye sees more than specs. Go take a look before passing judgement, based on someone elses "numbers". I still intend to buy a Pentax mostly on two differances.

1 VF
2 Pentax is headed in the direction I want to go.(I think) Who can be sure?

I am especially interested in the new smaller K-7. After hands-on I may not like it.

Just some thoughts from an old man that has never been able to find that "perfect" camera.

I currently have 7 or 8 and 2 on the way, all but one a mix of Olympus and Pentax. One Maxxum 9000

I'm still looking. It's half the fun of photography for me.

Steve N
DSLR's now have much better quality than 35mm film, and FF DSLR is getting close to medium format (120) film. I tried the Olympus, but the VF was a killer for me, but different things are important for different people. If Olympus had produced a DSLR that was half the size of the Pentax, I might have gone with Olympus anyway.