Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2009, 08:46 AM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
A few P&S compacts and advanced Bridge-Cameras still possess viewfinders (obviously electronic ones), so you can visually see these 'boxes' tracking a person's face. I'm interested to learn what will happen in the instance of the K-7's optical TTL viewfinder ?

Best regards
Richard
Face detection only works on Live View. Similar to compact cameras, it picks up on shadow structures created by the eyes, nose and mouth. Once it locks on a subject, it will follow it as long as another larger or closer face doesn't appear.

The K-7 will detect up to 16 faces (unless this changes in final firmware) and will always focus on the closest or largest face.

06-02-2009, 11:59 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JCPentax Quote
Defenitely.
Thank you for your answer, John.
Actually, I had meant this somewhat in jest.
I am a bit worried with the amount of characteristics from P&S cameras Pentax' Flagship seems to exhibit.
For me, the K7 seems to be loaded with functions I would never use (I'm sure the list gets familiar: video, face recognition, live view).
Next to the fact that I do (would) have to pay for these, there is also the fact that they add useless (for me, granted) hardware and software: new possibilities for defects, problems etc.
I already mentioned on this board that I am a true believer in Murphy.

I want to stress - before I ruffle someones feathers - that I find a lot I do like in the K7 as well.
06-04-2009, 10:21 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Bart

I concur with you 100% when you said:

QuoteQuote:
For me, the K7 seems to be loaded with functions I would never use: video, face recognition, live view. There is also the fact that they add useless (for me, granted) hardware and software: new possibilities for defects, problems etc.
Being a fully paid-up member of the Luddite Association, I'm naturally well prepared for the inevitable torrent of brickbats which will follow from the 'me-too' technological brigade…..they could probably have learned a thing or two from Ansel Adams ! Nevertheless, what seriously concerns me is Pentax's ham-fisted implementation of certain issues and how 'feature-creep' regularly causes them to take their 'eye-off-the-ball'. Observe the infuriating limitation of the K-7's integral 99-frame intervalometer for instance. It's pretty clear to me that none of the design team have EVER used a dedicated intervalometer before, so I'd love a chance to meet the brilliant engineers(s) who dreamt-up that particular blunder…!
What on earth is the use of including such a potentially invaluable function in the initial specification and then implementing it in such a half-baked fashion ? Anyone volunteering for their frontal lobotomy yet !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 06-04-2009 at 11:39 AM.
06-04-2009, 11:43 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are we sure that 99 is the absolute limit? I've noticed that some external intervalometers advertise "1-399, +unlimited."

The Phottix TR-90 is one, and the one on eBay by seller Gadget Infinity is another. That seems to indicate that one can set the timer to quit or shut off at 399 (or earlier), or just let it run until batteries (its or the camera's) are exhausted.

06-05-2009, 08:23 AM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Duck Dodgers Quote
Are we sure that 99 is the absolute limit? I've noticed that some external intervalometers advertise "1-399, +unlimited."

The Phottix TR-90 is one, and the one on eBay by seller Gadget Infinity is another. That seems to indicate that one can set the timer to quit or shut off at 399 (or earlier), or just let it run until batteries (its or the camera's) are exhausted.
Yes. The K-7 I have in my hands only goes to 99, same as the K20D.

Edit: Just realized you may be talking about a third party intervalometer.
06-05-2009, 08:41 AM   #21
Igilligan

About face detection and metering

If I remember correctly, with my Fuji S6000 the 'Face detection' also adjusts the metering on the faces... Is that the same with the K7? Or is it as and (andreas) said it is just a focus feature?
06-05-2009, 09:32 PM   #22
Veteran Member

That's what I know too, there are compacts that meter for the faces.
06-06-2009, 06:50 PM   #23

I hope the normal phase-detect AF has improved enough that I don't get those annoying photos where the background behind a group of people is what's in focus.

It's so unbearable (in either manual or auto selection) that I've basically given up and use MF. But when I hand my camera over to others, that's still a problem since I wouldn't count on them MFing properly.

06-06-2009, 09:37 PM   #24
Veteran Member

There are videos on youtube of the K-7 and its contrast AF. Looks pretty good.