Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2009, 07:53 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Zplus, for me this was a great and very usefull post.
Thanks

05-30-2009, 07:56 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Can anyone do the same with 24mm lens ? and also 77mm and 100mm ?
05-30-2009, 02:25 PM   #18
Pentaxian

35mm Film SLR had a choice of two formats - Film & Slide Emulsion

DSLR only has one - Print or view on computer screen.

No advanced amateur dslr can even come close to slide shot at 50asa.

I was recently looking at my mountaineering slides shot with Velvia,Superia,Kodak 50asa and projected at a size of 2,5 x 2m - simply no comparison - even slide film has better dynamic range than digital.

My main camera for many years was a Contax 137 Quartz MD - with a 50 & 28mm Zeiss Planar Distigon T lenses and the print finish I could get was close to Ciba Chrome Quality.

Unfortunately the camera died and so did the company and I couldn't source another body in this country so then moved to digital.

Yes I have moved on and can get really really good results from my K10D but nothing like I could get from my Zeiss Planars with film or slides

dyl
05-30-2009, 05:51 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
35mm Film SLR had a choice of two formats - Film & Slide Emulsion

DSLR only has one - Print or view on computer screen.

No advanced amateur dslr can even come close to slide shot at 50asa.

I was recently looking at my mountaineering slides shot with Velvia,Superia,Kodak 50asa and projected at a size of 2,5 x 2m - simply no comparison - even slide film has better dynamic range than digital.

My main camera for many years was a Contax 137 Quartz MD - with a 50 & 28mm Zeiss Planar Distigon T lenses and the print finish I could get was close to Ciba Chrome Quality.

Unfortunately the camera died and so did the company and I couldn't source another body in this country so then moved to digital.

Yes I have moved on and can get really really good results from my K10D but nothing like I could get from my Zeiss Planars with film or slides

dyl
I dunno..I have a K10D and a KM (K2000)...I also have an old Leica and I tell you I'm impressed with the quality of the K10/KM.

I think their capability is in the same ballpark.

05-30-2009, 06:07 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for doing this comparison. This kind of testing is extremely time-consuming, but well worth the effort. The real world difference in DOF between formats is hard to visualize in the mind's eye, but you did a great job showing what it looks like with real images.

Steve

(Did several series of perspective and DOF comparison pictures last year...generated tons of controversy...)
05-31-2009, 06:38 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Some people are missing the point of my original post. Its a comparison of perspective and field of view, not IQ or post processing or anything else. The pictures aren't meant to be pretty. I've somewhat edited the name of the thread to better reflect the meaning of the post.
Also, I'm not sure why this was moved to DSLR section, originally it was in General Pentax Photography, which I thought would be more fitting.

Thanks to all for the kind words.
05-31-2009, 07:07 AM   #22
Veteran Member

As every one said ! thank you for that!!

in a perfect world the K1000 will be digital ( that would be nice wouldn't it )

I am still collecting Pentax 35mm lenses just in case that this dream will ever come true
05-31-2009, 07:08 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zplus Quote
Some people are missing the point of my original post. Its a comparison of perspective and field of view, not IQ or post processing or anything else. The pictures aren't meant to be pretty. I've somewhat edited the name of the thread to better reflect the meaning of the post.
Also, I'm not sure why this was moved to DSLR section, originally it was in General Pentax Photography, which I thought would be more fitting.

Thanks to all for the kind words.
its super clear! don't worry

05-31-2009, 04:00 PM   #24

my test

hi,
I had done something similar a few weeks ago, and seeing your post spurred me on to get my test up on the site.
if you're interested please have a look here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/62006-comparison-a...tml#post618311
05-31-2009, 07:49 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by architorture Quote
hi,
I had done something similar a few weeks ago, and seeing your post spurred me on to get my test up on the site.
if you're interested please have a look here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/62006-comparison-a...tml#post618311
Thanks for posting I'm glad my perspective/fov examples spurred you to post your resolution samples!
You might be interested in Technicalities
Someday I'll own a 645
05-31-2009, 08:16 PM   #26

yes, i had seen that before. Great site/test!

in fact i had that in mind when reviewing my test, that's why i was so surprised that at the same scan resolution the 35mm looked so much worse - i expected them to be equal or the 35mm to win in sheer resolution when viewed at the same enlargement factor since the negative size makes no difference? (the problem shouldn't be my scanner since they were both scanned on the same scanner).

645 is not that expensive now. i got mine three years ago, and it has depreciated since then even more - people are practically giving them away.
06-03-2009, 06:52 AM   #27
Forum Member

Thanks for your test and effort. 'm not here to start a debate FF versus APS-C but for me the changes in DOF are very enlighting!
06-05-2009, 07:15 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Thank you for the shots! I absolutely love the film ones. Makes me want to pick up a cheap film camera to experiment with.
06-05-2009, 07:25 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Great comparo. What method did you use to process and digitize your film shots?
06-06-2009, 08:03 PM   #30

I have an istD and K100D and I must say the digital shots look very soft. I would double-check your PP and/or focusing since the differences at this size should be nil in terms of sharpness (but not other qualities).

Film/35mm/FF has its advantages, but the softness exaggerates the differences a lot here.