Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2009, 04:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K20d- Memory Card error

I did a search on the forums but didnt quite find the solution I was looking for. Im in Costa Rica and have been using my K20d with no problems until today. I was taking photos with my Da 50-135 and got some great shots. when I went to up load photos from my camera to my mac computer, I recieved and error message saying that the card could not be recognized. i looked at the camera screen and there was a "memory card error" message. I always properly eject my camera/ sd cads so i figred the card just got corrupted somehow. Before reformatting it however, I put it in my K10d body that I brought with me and viola. photos. I uploaded them to the computer from the k10d. I then put the card back into the k20d and recieved the same message. I reformat my cards every time I begin a new so I reformatted the card via the camera. I still recieved a memory card error. I then reset the camera to factory setting via the camera menu and still recieved a memory card error. I checked the SD card slot and it appears that nothing is wrong with clean connections and no bent connections. I took another SD card that I have also been using for the past 3 months and put it into the k20d and recieved the same mermory card error message. i put the same card into my K10d and viola, photos......... I then tried 4 other SD cards that I brought with me and i continued to recieve the same error message for each card. ALL cards worked with my K10d....

What is going on?

05-29-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
Forum Member

Ah! I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM!

... I ended up just sending the bugger in to pentax repair in Colorado. The contacts on the SD card read board that communicate with the camera's motherboard were bad/broken. Sad thing is, I had impact damage that I had no idea was there. They voided my warranty but I really had no choice but to go ahead and pay $275. I would have repaired it myself but I didn't want to risk the chance of only ordering the SD card reader module and it ending up actually being the motherboard, which would have been a hassle to order and a bugger to solder and install, along with I wouldn't have been able to calibrate the new motherboard to my K20D's hardware.

I'm bummed that that had happened. I used my camera only a few hours earlier with NO PROBLEMS, didnt bump it or anything and... out of no where my SD card reader in the camera totally took a crap on me.

I got it back after two very long and painful weeks as I had to use my K200D that has a broken top status screen in the mean time... Got it back SUPER clean, works perfect.
05-29-2009, 05:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steve500 Quote
.. The contacts on the SD card read board that communicate with the camera's motherboard were bad/broken. Sad thing is, I had impact damage that I had no idea was there....
A friend of mine had the same trouble. He dropped his K20D and one of the contacts broken.
05-29-2009, 06:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ddhytz Quote
A friend of mine had the same trouble. He dropped his K20D and one of the contacts broken.
shucks. I was afraid of hearing something like this. I was going to photography my cousins wedding in a short two weeks time so I guess Ill have to work with my K10d for now. thanks a bunch!

05-29-2009, 06:13 PM   #5
Damn Brit

It's possible there is some residual condensation in the K20 from your trip to Costa Rica.
Why don't you try a hairdryer on it with the card door open?

Use your K10,it's better for weddings.
06-08-2009, 11:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just got my Pentax K20D back from Colorado after getting the Memory card error. Well honestly I didm't get it back, they sent me a new one with only 36 actuations. Problem was one of the pins in the SD socket was bent. Apparently they couldn't fix it so I got a new camera instead. It did take 25 business days rather than the 15-20 they quote on the Pentax site.