Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2009, 05:46 AM   #46
Veteran Member

I think you just have bad luck. It can happen with any company and product. For years I was very unlucky, it was always me who bought the "lemons" from every product. It was really frustrating. Now I'm more lucky and the lemons avoid me I hope your case will have a happy end.

07-10-2009, 09:19 AM   #47

my k-m was the first 'expensive' electronic i had that broke and was not my fault. it sucks but it happens.

it's being repaired right now. 15-20 business days
07-19-2009, 11:19 AM   #48
Forum Member

Original Poster
It's now the third week of my K-m re-pair. Hopefully I'll get my camera back this week and it won't require a re-re-repair. Since buying this camera new in March 09 it's been in the shop six weeks. I hope other K-m owners haven't been as unlucky as me.
07-19-2009, 11:38 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Wow reading these stories scares me a lot. I have a K2000 and owned it for 2 weeks now and no problems. Hopefully mine won't break. I hope for the best with your camera and hopefully it'll all be ok. I'm planning to take photography class in college during spring. Good thing I didn't take it this fall because if the camera lasts through fall, that means it most likely isn't defective in any way. Do you know what's now wrong with your camera? Since you and eyou both own K-m's maybe it might not affect the K2000 although they're both the same =/

07-19-2009, 11:54 AM   #50
Forum Member

Original Poster
My K-m was first repaired under warranty because of a variety of battery power issues, such as being told the battery was dead with a fresh set of Energizer Lithium batteries. The Pentax Canada fix was to replace the battery compartment door.

The second in warranty repair was because the battery compartment door became the on/off switch. That is, if I switched the camera on with the official on/off switch, nothing happened until I opened and closed the door.

There were some other issues as well, such as the camera operating when the on/off switch was in the off position.

Trouble is, I don't think that the Pentax Canada repair mechanics read the full symptom description, just a summary. So anything to do with power on/off issues they replace the battery compartment door as a standard operating procedure.

Wouldn't it be nice if they could plug a fault analyser into the USB port and get a reading from the camera operating log, or perhaps they cold activate a built in test program to identify exactly what is going on.
07-19-2009, 12:09 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kitkat Quote
Well, my K-m has failed again - similar to the original problem, but with a new twist. I just replaced the batteries with a fresh set of Energizer Advanced Lithiums. Turned the camera on - nothing! Turn off, then on, then off, and so on. Could not get the camera to activate. I opened the battery compartment door to check that the batteries were installed correctly - they were. When I closed the door the camera turned on! I had left the power switch in the on position.
With flash, there were some safety problems. Fully charged batteries would not work, because it would be found too high voltage. But when slightly used, then the flash would function. Maybe some of the same problem.

I've had some problems with electronic products that wouldn't function as they should. It is annoying, when it is just sometimes that the problem occurs, as technicians don't have all day for one product. And can't just sit and wait for it, not to work
07-21-2009, 05:01 AM   #52

No probems with my K-m

I have had my my K-m for eight months, and found occasional problems with Energiser batteries, and now use Eneloops. (Perhaps the Energisers were old).

Apart from that it has taken over 5000 photos, so far without a hiccup.

Anyway, I have dropped the camera three times: I finally managed to drop it so hard the flash no longer pops up, and is now being repaired by Mr Nagami in Mooroolbark in suburban Melbourne, Australia (he works from home). The last time he repaired a camera for me was when he serviced my Pentax 1975 KM in the mid 90's and he did a brilliant job. I see on his card he is Canon accredited, perhaps not Pentax. (I like to support the competent little guy if possible, especially in this economic downtown we Aussies seem to be largely avoiding so far. Fingers crossed and keep spending folks!)
07-21-2009, 05:38 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Perhaps it's the nature of lithium AA that will always have some quirk? Back then when it was 1st introduced, there were stores Nikon bodies and flashes were being killed by these batteries due to higher than 1.5V in reality. Nikon even issued some warnings. Fast forward to just a few years ago, Pentax DSLRs have been working fine with CR-V3 but again, some quirks some users experienced with lithium AAs. Personally I have used only Eneloop in my DSLRs and flashes, no trouble so far.

07-21-2009, 05:55 AM   #54
Forum Member

Original Poster
I would think that, because I tell the camera I'm using lithium batteries (through the menu), there wouldn't be an issue with voltage. What other reason would the camera require to know what type of battery is installed?
07-21-2009, 10:53 AM   #55

just received my k-m back from pentax usa. i wont be able to test it tonite, but it was only in the shop for a week, and then a little longer to send it back.
07-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #56
Site Supporter

how about NiZn batteries? i received a pack of 4 and will test it. it's rated at 1.6v
out of the charger the voltage reads 1.75-1.76. AA lithiums fresh out of the box reads similar at 1.74-1.75v

hopefully these NiZn will be better than the lithium aa's and eneloops.
we'll see
07-23-2009, 09:28 AM   #57

fwiw the repairs made to my camera were for the printed circuit board and/or image sensor.
07-23-2009, 09:46 AM   #58

QuoteOriginally posted by kitkat Quote
I would think that, because I tell the camera I'm using lithium batteries (through the menu), there wouldn't be an issue with voltage. What other reason would the camera require to know what type of battery is installed?
I think that has something to do with the low battery warning. The camera needs to know what batteries are inside, otherwise it may not be able to shutdown correctly (certain types of batteries keep the voltage high and then die almost unexpectedly, while others might decrease the voltage slowly over time before they die).
07-23-2009, 04:43 PM   #59
Forum Member

Original Poster
Got my camera back! No fault found, even though the store staff could replicate the problem. The accompanying tech note says " We adjusted the battery level of camera to factory specification, tried different kinds of batteries and had no problem to power up the camera. Please send in camera with the batteries being used if the can not power up problem occurs again.

Fair enough. I'm also leaving the battery selection on automatic.