Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2009, 09:53 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
My vote would be for Copyright info feature on the K20D as well.
How can we rally together for something like this from Pentax?

Put forward a petition to Pentax and ask pretty please include another firmware with included tasks

cheers

06-08-2009, 10:02 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
An interesting thought was espoused in another thread in the Rumors forum. What if Pentax were compensated for new firmware that adds new features. Apple does it with iPod - 9.95 for 3.0, 29.95 for Snow Leopard. Who wouldn't pay $19.95 for a new firmware version.

Let's say that during the production run bug fixes and firmware upgrades are free. After that time any firmware upgrades are made available for sale for a modest fee. I think that is one way that camera companies need to think instead of always about the high ticket must sell a new camera to our consumer base. Personally, I have only had five Pentax cameras that I bought because I wanted something they delivered, and that was in a span of 33 years.

Just thinking out loud.
06-09-2009, 01:38 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I certainly would be willing to pay a modest fee for new features as well. I am looking at purchasing the K7 but I certainly won't get rid of my K10. It will still make a good backup camera or one to give the miss when she wants to take pictures lol.

P.S. Cupic I like your Avatar
06-09-2009, 03:11 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Me and Boe share something being older than in appearance

cheers

06-09-2009, 03:20 AM   #35
emr

Long term firmware support and new features would be great, but for several reasons we wont see anything really new.

- As K20D is an older model and the new K-7's supposedly better than it, why on earth would they risk its sales by bringing new properties to older models. Older models which have been already sold and cashed-in.

- Any new feature brings the risk of new bugs. While old customers might (or might not) be happy with the new firmware and added features, for Pentax it would mean some - yet small - risk with very little to gain.

We may well see new firmware versions, but if we do, they'll most likely be just bug-fixes or added compatibility for new equipment.
06-09-2009, 04:34 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by WheresWaldo Quote
Telling Pentax USA does nothing, I really believe they are just a marketing company that also has a repair facility. I think all decisions about firmware/features/etc comes from Pentax Japan. That's where the emails need to go.

I know if one of our customers has a real issue and feels slighted, yelling at the sales guys or support doesn't really get a quick response, but getting exec involved will have us jumping at even the smallest of customers. Execs don't like to be bombarded by emails from unhappy customers.
I only yelled one time. It was actually just a question. Anyway, thanks for the redirection. I know the service guys probably hear it all. Being a recent purchaser of the K20d, one can get a little eager to have a problem fixed without a little patience. Sounds to me like the problems originally stated in this thread should not be an issue for Pentax to correct. Thanks
06-09-2009, 08:25 AM   #37
Veteran Member

It ain't gonna happen, but if it did, I'd like to see:

1) The ability to disable long-exposure NR. This is HIGHLY unlikely as the menus of the K-7 indicate it behaves the same way, i.e. it's "auto" or "always on", but NOT "always off".

2) Bracketing approach from the K-7 - There is no need to drop the mirror down between exposures for a bracketing series.

As to the K-7 not replacing the K20 - Nintendo said the same thing about the DS vs. the Game Boy. Look how that worked out in reality.