Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2009, 07:44 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WheresWaldo Quote
Wouldn't that be a hoot! Could you imagine any camera company, say for example 2 or 3 years after a product sunset, releasing the firmware code into the public domain. What a concept.
They wouldn't even have to release it to the public domain; they could still retain the copyright, using a license like the GPL or somesuch. If they kept track of the ideas that people came up with, it would be a pretty cheap investment for innovations, I think.

06-01-2009, 08:09 AM   #17
Veteran Member

As nice of an idea it is, I doubt that'd ever happen. Pentax would NOT want to deal with the fallout from all the tinkerers who think they can tweak the code and brick their cameras.
06-02-2009, 08:50 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I am with the OP. And I am in the camp thinking Pentax won't do it, too.

Of course, this makes people turning away from Pentax in the long term.

It is more severe, actually ...

There could be an Open Source firmware if Pentax opened the specification. But they won't. For one reason already: What if the open source firmware for one particular body grew so popular they couldn't sell an incompatible body anymore? Japanese companies really fear to loose control.
06-02-2009, 10:42 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I am with the OP. And I am in the camp thinking Pentax won't do it, too.

Of course, this makes people turning away from Pentax in the long term.

It is more severe, actually ...

There could be an Open Source firmware if Pentax opened the specification. But they won't. For one reason already: What if the open source firmware for one particular body grew so popular they couldn't sell an incompatible body anymore? Japanese companies really fear to loose control.
Isn't there some open source firmware for some Canon models. I seem to recall that the firmware provided additional features that Canon did not.

06-03-2009, 02:19 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WheresWaldo Quote
Isn't there some open source firmware for some Canon models. I seem to recall that the firmware provided additional features that Canon did not.
Yes, CHDK for Canon PowerShot and IXUS models. It is loaded from SD card as an extension to the Canon firmware each time the camera is powered on. Something which turned out to be possible, not something endorsed by Canon ...
06-03-2009, 02:24 AM   #21
and
Veteran Member

I say dont count on it. Im fairly sure there wont be any. There has often been 1 firmware update released a few months after the initial release to fix up some bugs. after that nothing is done unless there is a real bug that can be fixed. and especially when the camera gets replaced and goes out of production or is near eol
06-03-2009, 04:00 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I agree, but there are exceptions.

The *istDS, introduced 2004, got a firmware upgrade as late as Dec 2006.

06-03-2009, 04:11 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
As nice of an idea it is, I doubt that'd ever happen. Pentax would NOT want to deal with the fallout from all the tinkerers who think they can tweak the code and brick their cameras.
There are several approaches to avoid this. There could be a "driver" layer which takes care of functionality where the camera could physically be broken (i.e. overdriving the SR or autofocus motor). And there are various ways of making it possible to install a good firmware over a completely broken one.

I think more serious concerns are with intellectual property hurdles — did Pentax write all of the code in the firmware, or is some of it purchased? What interactions are there with patents? Etc., etc.
06-03-2009, 07:29 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Nice discussion...

What I'd like to see is a desktop interface to the firmware... I want to be able to remap buttons and change the direction that the wheels increment (although I am getting use to it the way it is, it is still not native)

I'd like the following features when I put a Manual Lens on I get a list of lenses I can edit into the camera to choose from. Use the desktop utility to name each lens and enter setting parameters. When I have a prime lens it locks into that FL and when I choose a zoom it lets me choose only from the real range. Also nice to be able to put in +/- EC for each lens. This with a remap of the raw button on my 20 would work charming.

More users (and the ability to rename through the desktop ap) Ability to set up Custom Modes.

Just off the top of my head... I have many many more features I've thought of and I know that it is programmable. Even if it has to be off loaded through a canon like process with part of the information held on the SD.

M~E.
06-04-2009, 10:28 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by Duck Dodgers Quote
Yeah, I suspect that K20D owners will have at least as much firmware support as we K10D owners saw... i.e., none. I'm convinced that the only reason for the v1.3 "upgrade" was to add SDM support simply to sell more lenses. This belief was further reinforced (to my mind) by the removal (or at least the hiding) of the "debug mode."
Exposing debug mode is not something any camera maker would do. It creates a support disaster.

I suppose they could include a clause in the menu that voids the warranty on cameras with the debug mode accessed. But then, it'd create a probably larger outcry. As much as I didn't like it I say hiding the debug mode was the right move.

It'd probably be a better move if they just enable the 4 lens AF adjustment while disabling the rest of the debug mode, but I guess it's too resource-consuming.
06-08-2009, 11:36 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfier Quote
It'd probably be a better move if they just enable the 4 lens AF adjustment while disabling the rest of the debug mode, but I guess it's too resource-consuming.
We know this won't happen, sad part is that the code is already there and it would probably just take a coder a few hours and a recompile to allow access through the menu.
06-08-2009, 12:41 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Great post. This could be a very good thing and I really agree with 1 & 2.
I see no reson why they don't...but I see no posibility they will do.

the open sourse discution is interresting. I mean Wow if we here in the forum could help the k20d become a even better camera...

still k20d is great and if it's not enough for a user there are a k7 above
06-08-2009, 07:24 PM   #28

I have to agree with the long wait after a long exposure. This has been very nerve racking for me. Some of the places I go at night gives me an uneasy feeling and I do not want to be there no longer than I have to. Not to mention the lost shots. To think I almost went to Nikon. I have made the complaint to Pentax about the NR with no satisfaction. Maybe we ALL need to put some pressure on them and keep sending Emails or calling. Maybe then Pentax will listen to the ones keeping them in business.
06-08-2009, 07:36 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
please oh please fix the remote. I don't want to require 2 people to do quirky long exposures with various items flashed.
06-08-2009, 09:33 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sawsee100 Quote
I have to agree with the long wait after a long exposure. This has been very nerve racking for me. Some of the places I go at night gives me an uneasy feeling and I do not want to be there no longer than I have to. Not to mention the lost shots. To think I almost went to Nikon. I have made the complaint to Pentax about the NR with no satisfaction. Maybe we ALL need to put some pressure on them and keep sending Emails or calling. Maybe then Pentax will listen to the ones keeping them in business.
Telling Pentax USA does nothing, I really believe they are just a marketing company that also has a repair facility. I think all decisions about firmware/features/etc comes from Pentax Japan. That's where the emails need to go.

I know if one of our customers has a real issue and feels slighted, yelling at the sales guys or support doesn't really get a quick response, but getting exec involved will have us jumping at even the smallest of customers. Execs don't like to be bombarded by emails from unhappy customers.