Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2009, 03:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K20D Standard Focus Screen

This morning, prior to heading to a 3K running event for the kids (at a local park with lots of great stuff to photograph!), my focus screen fell out of the camera while I was changing lenses. FYI, when I change lenses - up to this point - I typically hold the body down and power up the camera so the "shake" can release any dust particles outside the body. This AM, the focus screen bounced down on the dining table, which startled the heck out of me, as I've never even messed with the thing. Not knowing how to put it back in and pressed for time, I was extremely bummed to have to leave the K20 at home (on a bluebird day in a context that would've offered so much rich content).

Once home, a YouTube video helped me determine what I needed to do to get the screen back in place and with the aid of a pair of tweezers and some non-latex gloves, I had it back in place in a few minutes. However...

A quick peak through the viewfinder proved what I feared - the screen suffered a couple of scratches when it fell out of the camera and onto the table. I know this is only aesthetics and several test shots proved that the scratches are merely an eyesore, but perhaps it's time to consider the Katz or perhaps just purchase the LL-80 Divided Matte Focus Screen from Adorama or B&H and be done with it. The latter is $45 vs the $200-250 I'd likely spend if I went with the Katz option.

To this point, I've not had any issues with the stock screen and my manually focused macro (and other) shots have come out looking very nice, with focus right where intended. So, taking all of the other major Katz threads into account (yes, I spent about two hours gleaning them today) and also taking into account this last paragraph, should I just deal with the scratched screen, make a slight upgrade to the divided screen (I do like the grid lines offered, which would help make sure land shots are horizontal), or consider the Katz a peek at Heaven and make the jump?

05-30-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AlphaGAK20D Quote
This morning, prior to heading to a 3K running event for the kids (at a local park with lots of great stuff to photograph!), my focus screen fell out of the camera while I was changing lenses. FYI, when I change lenses - up to this point - I typically hold the body down and power up the camera so the "shake" can release any dust particles outside the body. This AM, the focus screen bounced down on the dining table, which startled the heck out of me, as I've never even messed with the thing. Not knowing how to put it back in and pressed for time, I was extremely bummed to have to leave the K20 at home (on a bluebird day in a context that would've offered so much rich content).

Once home, a YouTube video helped me determine what I needed to do to get the screen back in place and with the aid of a pair of tweezers and some non-latex gloves, I had it back in place in a few minutes. However...

A quick peak through the viewfinder proved what I feared - the screen suffered a couple of scratches when it fell out of the camera and onto the table. I know this is only aesthetics and several test shots proved that the scratches are merely an eyesore, but perhaps it's time to consider the Katz or perhaps just purchase the LL-80 Divided Matte Focus Screen from Adorama or B&H and be done with it. The latter is $45 vs the $200-250 I'd likely spend if I went with the Katz option.

To this point, I've not had any issues with the stock screen and my manually focused macro (and other) shots have come out looking very nice, with focus right where intended. So, taking all of the other major Katz threads into account (yes, I spent about two hours gleaning them today) and also taking into account this last paragraph, should I just deal with the scratched screen, make a slight upgrade to the divided screen (I do like the grid lines offered, which would help make sure land shots are horizontal), or consider the Katz a peek at Heaven and make the jump?
While you are at it, buy the LL-60 screen rather than the LL-80. It actually meters pretty well the older lenses without the A aperture setting. The LL-80 does not. If you want my LL-80 it's yours for the shipping. It's slightly scratched, but worth every penny you will pay for it. LOL. I personally dislike the garbage in the middle of the focusing screen, whether split image or microprism or combos thereof. Very annoying with the long lens, and that's when I use it the most.
05-30-2009, 07:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
While you are at it, buy the LL-60 screen rather than the LL-80. It actually meters pretty well the older lenses without the A aperture setting. The LL-80 does not. If you want my LL-80 it's yours for the shipping. It's slightly scratched, but worth every penny you will pay for it. LOL. I personally dislike the garbage in the middle of the focusing screen, whether split image or microprism or combos thereof. Very annoying with the long lens, and that's when I use it the most.
Thanks for the insight and for the offer, Albert. So, the LL-80 is gar-baaage, heh?

I'll check out the LL-60. FYI, all of my shooting to this point has been with the 50 f/1.4, kit 18-55mm, and Sigma 105mm EX DG macro, so no experience at the longer end of things. I do have a couple of Taks that I've not played with much lately, but definitely want to include in consideration for the future. If this means a diff. focus screen, so be it.
05-30-2009, 08:41 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AlphaGAK20D Quote
Thanks for the insight and for the offer, Albert. So, the LL-80 is gar-baaage, heh?

I'll check out the LL-60. FYI, all of my shooting to this point has been with the 50 f/1.4, kit 18-55mm, and Sigma 105mm EX DG macro, so no experience at the longer end of things. I do have a couple of Taks that I've not played with much lately, but definitely want to include in consideration for the future. If this means a diff. focus screen, so be it.
If you plan on using your Takumars, you need the LL-60 grid screen. It took a lot of people on this forum to convince me, but when I bought it, I kicked myself for not grabbing it sooner.