Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2009, 08:23 PM   #1

K2000 - Pop up flash will not pop up.

I just purchased a K2000 and the pop up flash will not pop up. When I push the "pop up" flash button on the back left I hear a slight electrical sound underneath the flash hood but it does not open. Anyone else have this problem or any suggestions?

05-31-2009, 03:03 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I just found the exact same problem with the flash pop-up on my K2000/K-m. Only had it for 6 weeks. Error occurred after using the flash at speed in single shot mode, although I doubt that's the cause. Had used the flash without problems previously. Replaced the batteries but it's not them. Will see whether the Pentax dealer from whom I bought the camera can help and report back later this week! In the meantime, if you come across any helpful advice on the problem, let me know.
05-31-2009, 03:14 AM   #3
Inactive Account

In the meantime, it looks like we're not alone
*ist D - Pop up flash
05-31-2009, 12:33 PM   #4

tkindred // sparky -- dumb question alert

Out of curiousity, when you have the camera in the "Green/AutoPic mode does the flash pop-up
automatically for you?

Tkindred, as your 'funny electrical sound' emitting from your camera, that doesn't
sound too healthy and might definitely be the issue.

Tinkred / Sparky: --- BTW, this is long and boring story which will probably have no effect on your current situation but it is of similar vein

a long while back, I had a situation with my PZ-1 (film) where for
a while the flash would always pop-up and I had to literally tape it closed and would remove the tape when I wanted to use the "built-in" flash and then tape it back up again -- then a while (15-18 months) later I needed to use it, removed the tape but it wouldn't budge and I tried all the wrong things -- tweezers, small screwdrivers, etc... -- to get it to open and with no luck Then one day -- about 12 - 15 months later -- I had my camera in auto mode -- which I rarely did/do -- the flash
popped up and it was good as gold And I never did figure out the problem :confused
:

I work in retail and have sold a few Km/K2000's but we are sold out now and so I can't even check the flash settings in the Fn (function) thingy to see if that might
have any effect on the pop-up flash ....... popping up, so to speak. I think Tkindred
has the right idea in taking the cameras (and lenses) back to the shop where they
were purchased to see if they have any ideas or, at least, contact Pentax to see if they
have any ideas.

Hope it all works out and, in lieu of the built-in flash, you could always price out a Pentax add-on flash --- the AF200FG should be (fairly) reasonably priced, albeit over
a $100

Cheers,

Jack

06-04-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Sent back to Pentax. Estimated 4-6 weeks wait. Pentax Dealer said they'd not come across the problem before.
07-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Pentax replaced the flash PCB (printed circuit board) which seems to have done the trick. It's possible that the flash pops up with such force that it caused internal wiring to come loose/break. I was under warranty so I'm not sure how much it cost, although a quick google suggests a ballpark figure of at least $150 for Nikon cameras with the same problem.
08-17-2009, 08:54 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Broken again! This time the flash pops up, but you can't shoot when using flash. Works fine without flash. Expect it's a similar problem to last time. So it's been sent back again. Hope they replace the damn thing this time - the camera repair team at Pentax have almost seen that camera as much as I have!