Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2007, 10:14 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
"manual set the focus area"
Would be even better if the camera kept a list of lenses and your frontfocus/backfocus setting for the lens (what they had in the debug menu in 1.10 but that was for setting the camera). I'll send them this suggestion.

"step up from the 18-55mm kit lens"
Isn't that what the DA17-70 is? I'm holding out for it because I think it'll be the next kit lens since it has the built-in motor to compete w/ Nikon/Canon's offerings.

I pestered Ned for Pentax to make the 1.5x AF teleconvertor again a while back. Sounds like I should pester that contact us address as well ;-)

Last edited by kenyee; 04-25-2007 at 10:19 AM.
04-26-2007, 06:35 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Did you ask why Pentax is the only "major" camera company that does not support Microsoft Image Components (WIC) for the viewing of PEF files in Vista and XP (subset of tools)?

Out on dpreview one of the people there has created a codec that works -- somewhat -- If a non Pentax employee can do it - why can't Pentax?

Oh -- I asked --- Pentax USA said they were going to be looking into issuing a patch --- Ahhhh - a codec is not a patch ----- Helllllloooooo anyone home?

PDL
Does this count?

PENTAX Support&Service
04-26-2007, 07:19 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
"manual set the focus area"
Would be even better if the camera kept a list of lenses and your frontfocus/backfocus setting for the lens (what they had in the debug menu in 1.10 but that was for setting the camera). I'll send them this suggestion.

"step up from the 18-55mm kit lens"
Isn't that what the DA17-70 is? I'm holding out for it because I think it'll be the next kit lens since it has the built-in motor to compete w/ Nikon/Canon's offerings.

I pestered Ned for Pentax to make the 1.5x AF teleconvertor again a while back. Sounds like I should pester that contact us address as well ;-)
I just wanted to say Welcome to Pentax Forums kenyee
04-27-2007, 01:15 AM   #19
PDL
Pentaxian

Quote from Photomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDL ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you ask why Pentax is the only "major" camera company that does not support Microsoft Image Components (WIC) for the viewing of PEF files in Vista and XP (subset of tools)?

Out on dpreview one of the people there has created a codec that works -- somewhat -- If a non Pentax employee can do it - why can't Pentax?

Oh -- I asked --- Pentax USA said they were going to be looking into issuing a patch --- Ahhhh - a codec is not a patch ----- Helllllloooooo anyone home?

PDL
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does this count?

PENTAX Support&Service
end quote ------------ (could not figure out how to get all I wanted in the quote)

Anyway - yes it does count - I saw the first mention about the codec on dpreview and it was from the site in Japan (and it had been out there since the 19th). Now I have to get off my vertical smile and load Vista (I have it - Ultimate - my son has loaded it on his machine -- no 64 bit drivers for a Wireless card manufactured in 2000 - so he had to go back to 32 bit) (Yeah I am that cheap - wireless cards should be good for 10 years - like my cars --- no?)

Now to find out if my USB 35mm film scanner will work with Vista. Oh Joy - I guess I will have to take back some of the things I have said about PENTAX - not all of them but some. Maybe they are a player now.

Has anyone tested the codec to see if you can embedd copyrights in the image? (You can if you get PhotoInfo from MS on TIFF's and PEF is a proprietary form of TIFF)

PDL - your humbled servant.

04-27-2007, 08:29 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I just wanted to say Welcome to Pentax Forums kenyee
Thanks, little laker. I've been lurking for a while :-)

BTW, anyone know where to get the format spec for PEF? I.e., how to interpret it and convert it to RAW or JPG? Seems to be a more useful format than RAW because of compression...
04-27-2007, 10:12 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
BTW, anyone know where to get the format spec for PEF? I.e., how to interpret it and convert it to RAW or JPG? Seems to be a more useful format than RAW because of compression...
There is no such thing as a Raw format. Raw is a general term, sort of like "digital SLR." Raw simply means "the raw data coming from the sensor." That's why, technically, it ought not to be capitalized. It's not an acronym. It means "raw".

PEF is the Pentax Raw format. Canon, Nikon and other makers have their own proprietary Raw formats (NEF, etc.). Adobe came up with DNG, which is a Raw format that isn't tied to any one camera.

As for compression, Raw and compression are two completely different things. Raw data may, or may not, be compressed. The DNG files produced by the K10D are much larger than the PEF files, which is why I shoot PEF. But I convert to DNG when I import into Lightroom, in part because when Adobe writes DNG (its own format) it uses compression that causes the resulting file to be even smaller than PEF source file.

Bottom line: If you're using a K10D and you want to shoot Raw, you have a choice between two flavors of Raw: PEF or DNG. I prefer to SHOOT PEF because it allows me to get more images on the card. But I convert to DNG upon import into Lightroom because I prefer the DNG for long-term purposes.

If you're using a K100/K110D, you got not choice: PEF is the only flavor of RAw available.

Will
04-27-2007, 12:17 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Thanks. I did dig up Pentax RAW reader code:
Decoding raw digital photos in Linux
Was just curious how the guy knew how to interpret it ;-)