Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2009, 02:10 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Yes, FAT32 maximum file size is 4GiB, however it is definitely not a limiting factor.

If file size reaches 4GiB, camera can automaticallycreate another file and start recording information into new created file. All this process would be seamless to user.

More likely, this limit is added because of EU regulations, so K-7 won't qualify as an video camera and won't get import tax.

On the other hand who would want to film for such prolonger period. Video looks best when filmed in episodes each just a several seconds in length.

05-31-2009, 02:18 PM   #17
Inactive Account

How's about if your camera is permitted to shoot precisely 30m 1sec of video (just once, you
understand !) before it eventually overheats and then explodes in a giant fireball ! Man, that would make a genuinely spectacular movie. Now if only I could remember where I last put down my proper camcorder….
05-31-2009, 02:36 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Yes, FAT32 maximum file size is 4GiB, however it is definitely not a limiting factor.

If file size reaches 4GiB, camera can automaticallycreate another file and start recording information into new created file. All this process would be seamless to user.

More likely, this limit is added because of EU regulations, so K-7 won't qualify as an video camera and won't get import tax.

On the other hand who would want to film for such prolonger period. Video looks best when filmed in episodes each just a several seconds in length.
So, it is possible. That is very different from whats been implied so far. Good to know, if this indeed is true...
05-31-2009, 02:38 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
How's about if your camera is permitted to shoot precisely 30m 1sec of video (just once, you
understand !) before it eventually overheats and then explodes in a giant fireball ! Man, that would make a genuinely spectacular movie. Now if only I could remember where I last put down my proper camcorder….
If this happens, will the SDHC card survive, 'cause that would be even better than what a camcorder could record

05-31-2009, 03:28 PM   #20
Veteran Member

A time lapse video over 30 minutes would be nice. Although something other than DSLR would probably do a much better job...
05-31-2009, 05:33 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I tried to ignore the irrelevant factors that are plaguing this thread, which was intended only to gain further knowledge on the video capabilities of the K-7. But, I have some free time now, and I am willing to ponder some of the possible extraneous factors that everyone is so occupied with...

As has been mentioned before, I don't care whether the K-7 has any video feature at all, it is a DSLR for god sake. But, alas it has it, so why not investigate as to it's capabilities? are we all ok with this ?

Next, I may want to know how fast my car will go, but that doesn't mean I will go that fast...I am happy with ~ 160mph, and will never push higher, but I still would investigate to see what it can do on paper, I may even wonder why it is not going faster given the horsepower, weight and the drag coefficient....hope I didn't lose many here by talking about cars and not camcorders or DSLR's...but, if you are, don't worry, it is sort of irrelevant anyways

Next, what event can possibly need more than 30 min. of continuous video? I was so sure this was a joke as I thought it was the most obvious and didn't need an explanation, but I was wrong. The only reason I ever use a camcorder is to mount it on my roll bar as I drive around the track (aha!, the 160mph ). This from the logistics of the whole matter, would need a camcorder that will record for more than 30 min.( Yes, I did say a camcorder and this is where I will lose most individuals as their brain will inevitably go into circular arguments - I urge you to please resist this temptation and think a little deeper and a little wider. I'll give one clue...I know we are not talking about a camcorder, and I know the k-7 is a dslr.). I am going to leave it that

Now, the above example is rare and very specific to me and certainly not an example that could reasonably be expected to be characterized as obvious. But, take any event that lasts more than 30 minutes, Then by definition that event can indeed be recorded for more than 30 min. Now, if one finds that boring, then things can be edited. But, also at this point try to consider whether this act of boredom be shared by each and every inhabitant. Now, repeat for each and every event that may last for more than 30 minutes. Also, in certain events you can just leave the camera on a tripod and film that entire event without you being present at all. Now, that event may or may not last 30 minutes either, but one can never say, as it all depends on the nature of each event. But, some of these said events, I propose will last longer than 30 minutes...can we agree on that ?

Now, last but not least. Don't forget those wonderful Pentax primes and all the nice wide angle and telephoto lenses, which can all be used on a Pentax DSLR. Again, deeper and wider.....

good luck, you'all.......

Last edited by pcarfan; 05-31-2009 at 06:21 PM.
06-01-2009, 09:24 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I have Canon camcorder which will record to mini DV tape or an SD card. Recording to the card has the same limit although the manual doesn't mention file size limits, just that it will only record appox. 30 min of video if one chooses to use the card. I think the longest single recording I have ever done was an awards night school event I shot at my granddaughters school and it was a 20 minute section of video. Most video I shoot is only a few minutes long per clip and often only a few seconds. For 99% of the time this should not cause any problems. There are times where one might want the video camera running longer such as pcarfan's example or possibly a concert or school play but there are always moments where you can stop. Even camcorders are limited by the size of the tape. Anyone complaining about this has probably never shot video before.
06-01-2009, 10:41 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I have Canon camcorder which will record to mini DV tape or an SD card. Recording to the card has the same limit although the manual doesn't mention file size limits, just that it will only record appox. 30 min of video if one chooses to use the card. I think the longest single recording I have ever done was an awards night school event I shot at my granddaughters school and it was a 20 minute section of video. Most video I shoot is only a few minutes long per clip and often only a few seconds. For 99% of the time this should not cause any problems. There are times where one might want the video camera running longer such as pcarfan's example or possibly a concert or school play but there are always moments where you can stop. Even camcorders are limited by the size of the tape. Anyone complaining about this has probably never shot video before.
If the K-7 can do 5 minutes of 720p, that is 5 minutes more than I expect any dslr to do video. Having said that, how long can the K-7 record in 720p before running out of the 4GB memory? I don't think it can record for 30 min. in 720p?

06-01-2009, 07:46 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
The only reason I ever use a camcorder is to mount it on my roll bar as I drive around the track (aha!, the 160mph ).
You'd probably find K-7 not suitable for this type of use because of CMOS wobble (nor any DSLRs). I believe a CCD sensor based camcorder would yield better video for this purpose.
06-01-2009, 08:16 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is all well and good , but i think the batteries will not last 30mins without a grip ....
It also has limited focusing while in video mode not to mention shake reduction.
I so wish they had in camera panorama stitching and not video.
Cheers Neil
06-02-2009, 09:24 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
If the K-7 can do 5 minutes of 720p, that is 5 minutes more than I expect any dslr to do video. Having said that, how long can the K-7 record in 720p before running out of the 4GB memory? I don't think it can record for 30 min. in 720p?
I'm not up to date on present video so I really don't know off the top of my head how much memory 720p consumes in the file type it uses but that should be in the specs sheet somewhere. I doubt 30 min. but I don't know. 30 min. is a very long video clip for any camcorder much less a DSLR that is designed primarily as a still camera. I'm trying to imagine the time that will be spent editing that. One of the reasons I don't use the camcorder often is the amount of PP time involved to make a decent watchable video. If you think Photoshop can be time consuming and difficult, wait until you start messing with Primiere or similar software.Also, video editing software requires a high end gaming spec computer if you do a lot of it. On my Windows machine, it a 50/50 chance my onboard graphics will crash in the middle of editing. Video consumes a lot of resources.
06-03-2009, 03:20 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by knumbnutz Quote
This is all well and good , but i think the batteries will not last 30mins without a grip ....
It also has limited focusing while in video mode not to mention shake reduction.
I so wish they had in camera panorama stitching and not video.
Cheers Neil
Neil, K-7 video has SR.
06-03-2009, 03:21 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
You'd probably find K-7 not suitable for this type of use because of CMOS wobble (nor any DSLRs). I believe a CCD sensor based camcorder would yield better video for this purpose.
Thanks.........................
06-03-2009, 03:24 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I'm not up to date on present video so I really don't know off the top of my head how much memory 720p consumes in the file type it uses but that should be in the specs sheet somewhere. I doubt 30 min. but I don't know. 30 min. is a very long video clip for any camcorder much less a DSLR that is designed primarily as a still camera. I'm trying to imagine the time that will be spent editing that. One of the reasons I don't use the camcorder often is the amount of PP time involved to make a decent watchable video. If you think Photoshop can be time consuming and difficult, wait until you start messing with Primiere or similar software.Also, video editing software requires a high end gaming spec computer if you do a lot of it. On my Windows machine, it a 50/50 chance my onboard graphics will crash in the middle of editing. Video consumes a lot of resources.
Good point. I was thinking in terms of editing a a tape based camcorder video with my tv top DVD recorder/editor. I wonder whether that would recognize the K-7 with SDHC as an input ?

It looks like at 720p it will record a little over 7 min. uninterrupted.
06-03-2009, 08:56 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I don't have a tv top recorder so I'm not familiar with using them. I can plug my camcorder directly into a tv and playback the tape and I could also plug it into a VHS or other recorder and try to edit the old fashioned way but as slow as computer video editing can be it is way surperior to that method. I don't know if a DVD recorder would recognize the K7. The easiest way to edit would be to use Windows Movie Maker which is already free in Windows and it works pretty good but is kind of limited in what it does. With a program like Premeire you can do cut and splice editing along with exposure and other adjustments you would use in Photoshop plus adding and editing sound tracks also. Just need a fast computer with lots of memory and a decent video card.