Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2009, 08:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can the Russians increase the K-7 4GB video limit with a debug? :)

The K-7 video limit of 4GB was set because of European tariffs. Wouldn't it be cool, if the Pentax engineers leave an easy debug so that someone can release a debug mode to increase the limit, like that of the K10D focus adjustments. I think this should be possible.....

05-31-2009, 08:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I suppose it'd be nice but how many times will you want to record for longer than 30 minutes? give examples
05-31-2009, 08:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Agree with dopeytree. I've never needed to film more than 30 minutes.
05-31-2009, 08:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
I suppose it'd be nice but how many times will you want to record for longer than 30 minutes? give examples
More is always better

So, it can record for 30 min in 720p ?...if true, then that should be good enough for me. Actually no video is fine with me too.

05-31-2009, 08:48 AM   #5

4GB is the maximum file size limit of FAT32, the filesystem on the sdhc card, and it applies to all DSLRs with video at the moment.

The only ways around that are to have the camera automatically switch to a second file, or change which filesystem the camera uses. At the moment there isn't a widespread modern filesystem in use suited for flash cards.
05-31-2009, 08:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just now read that SDHC cards can have a maximum of 32GB, which allows for a bit more than 1hr. of recording. If this is true, then 4GB will not give us 30 min. I would love to see a debug that would allow for the maximum use of upto 32GB, which if the above statement is true will allow for 1 hr. of HD recording. This may fry the circuits though, hah?

Of course, if one cannot imagine a use for video for more than 30 min., then this would be useless

P.S:
OOOpss, the above message appeared as I was typing...here is the reference to 32GB

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&thread=31993915

Mrcrontab, are you sure the max. is 4GB?

Last edited by pcarfan; 05-31-2009 at 08:59 AM.
05-31-2009, 09:03 AM   #7

FILESIZE is 4GB

Just read the damn specs and get on with it!

File Allocation Table - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is the problem with adding video in a still camera. People just can't understand that it's not made for shooting their kids doing a 2 hour nonstop play at school or create a nonstop movie of themselves driving growing a beard. It shoots video - so it should be able to - right ?

If you have need for recordings > 30 minutes each or even > 5 minutes each you should get a VIDEOCAMERA and not a DSLR.

05-31-2009, 09:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sveinmb Quote
FILESIZE is 4GB

Just read the damn specs and get on with it!

File Allocation Table - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is the problem with adding video in a still camera. People just can't understand that it's not made for shooting their kids doing a 2 hour nonstop play at school or create a nonstop movie of themselves driving growing a beard. It shoots video - so it should be able to - right ?

If you have need for recordings > 30 minutes each or even > 5 minutes each you should get a VIDEOCAMERA and not a DSLR.

Hi, Thanks for the link....
05-31-2009, 09:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Its not that bad people all you have to do is either stop and start again or swap your memory card over and carry on - just like swaping a dv tape or film etc.
05-31-2009, 09:47 AM   #10
Veteran Member

There's nothing more boring than one long, continuous video shot. I'm good with 4GB.
05-31-2009, 10:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
Its not that bad people all you have to do is either stop and start again or swap your memory card over and carry on - just like swaping a dv tape or film etc.
Can this be done indefinitely? when would appreciable noise start to appear ? I would think there has to be some cool down period some where. Curious whether anyone know where it would be ?
05-31-2009, 10:05 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Duck Dodgers Quote
There's nothing more boring than one long, continuous video shot. I'm good with 4GB.
DD, true dat!

Do you know how long that 720p movie be with 4GB ?

P.S: Facts gained so far are, the coding will only allow for 4GB max, so my initial questioned is answered, and it is a no. Just a few more blanks to fill in......
05-31-2009, 11:58 AM   #13

There are two limits for video with the K-7: one is the 4GB file size limitation of the FAT32 filesystem used on SDHC; the other is a 30 minute recording limit due to EU import rules.

The length of video the camera can pack into 4GB depends on the bitrate it uses. It's very similar to how different cameras have different raw and JPEG filesizes (and different options for quality) and can therefore fit different numbers of pictures on a card.

Since the K-7 menu seems to have an option for video quality as well as size (much like the JPEG options), we'll most likely have to wait for a production model where someone can do complete tests to get a solid answer. Or the manual, which will probably give estimates.
05-31-2009, 01:35 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Duck Dodgers Quote
Man, you're so right. Specially when made by someone who has no clue on how to film a movie.

Regards,
Luis
05-31-2009, 01:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I am happy if they come out how to make the camera ALWAYS fire the flash.