Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2009, 03:04 PM   #1

Spots on the images

I have noticed during the past week or two that there is a spot showing up in the upper left quadrant of many of my images. Today I tested things a bit more thoroughly and concluded it is internal to the camera (k10d, 18 months old). The images shown in the link were taken with two different lenses. I have the dust removal set to activate at power on.

Any ideas as to the cause and cure?

Thanks,

John Blair

05-31-2009, 03:07 PM   #2

Original Poster
Oooops . . . newbie mucked things up

The link I attempted to insert is:

Snapfish: Share:Registration

Not sure why the insert function does not seem to work.

Sorry,

John Blair
05-31-2009, 03:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
John,

The image that I see is very small, but what you are seeing is most likely a dust particle. The dust removal doesn't totally eliminate some dust particles from sticking to the sensor.

Cause is either dust getting in when you change lens, or the internal dust that can be created as you operate the camera.

I use Eclipse E2 sensor cleaning liquid with the swabs to clean the sensor. Your manual should give you instruction on how to lock the mirror to clean the sensor. There might be some videos here (try search) or in youtube.
05-31-2009, 03:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If it is in the same spot all the time, it i usually dust on the sensor. The dust shaker is not infallible. The subject has been discussed in detail elsewhere in the forums but the basi cure is to lock the mirror up and use a rocket blower to blow the dust off. Canned air is not usually recommended but some forum members do use it for this task. Be careful not to touch the sensor. If this approach doesn't work, there are more sophisticated sensor cleaners available.... Dave

05-31-2009, 03:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have not examined your pictures, since it requires registration to Snapfish to view them. However, spots in the same place regardless of the lens used are on the sensor (or more accurately, on the filter directly covering it). The "sensor-cleaning shake" is not perfect!

You can use a variety of methods to clean it off - very carefully - there are threads here if you search. I use a product called Dust-Aid, which has worked for me exceptionally well to date.
05-31-2009, 03:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Wow - 3 simultaneous replies !
05-31-2009, 04:21 PM   #7

try the rocket blower first. It usually does the trick and is much less risky for the weak stomached
05-31-2009, 06:47 PM   #8

Original Poster
Spots before my eyes . . .

Thanks for the confirmation of dust on the sensor. I suspected it was that but had no idea of the effectiveness of the dust removal. I suppose the offending stuff landed there during the past month as I have been creeping up on a lens/teleconverter combination. For the first year of ownership I probably changed the lenses five times. Fiddling with the lens/teleconverter combinations probably quadrupled that numberin the past two weeks.

Thanks . . . I will follow the least agressive approach suggested and get rid of the spot.

John Blair