Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2009, 09:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Best SD card speed for K-7?

What do you guys think the best type of SD card for the K-7 will be.... considering it does video.

cheers
mike

05-31-2009, 09:57 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
What do you guys think the best type of SD card for the K-7 will be.... considering it does video.
The fastest you can get

By the way, Ted's Cameras recently had sale for Lexar Professional 4GB cards. On K20D they're faster than Sandisk Extreme III. $20 for each. I have bought four of them. I think now I am prepared for K-7 video
06-01-2009, 08:49 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Class 6. It is what was recommended for my HD Canon Video Camera.
06-01-2009, 09:32 AM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Class 6. It is what was recommended for my HD Canon Video Camera.
We asked this in our dicussions with Japan. They recommended class 6 cards, specifically if you are doing video (but it is not necessary with stills).

06-01-2009, 10:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I think you should still pay attention to rated speeds. From Wikipedia, it seems like SDHC Class 6 cards are anywhere from 6 to 45 MB/s, so I'm guessing you want to look for the higher end, which seems to be about 150x or 22.5 MB/s.

For stills, at ~5 fps and ~15 RAW at ~10MB each, that's about 50MB/s, though I imagine the K-7's actual write speed is probably not actually 50MB/s, but maybe half of that. In other words, you might get marginal benefits from using 150x, but probably not from anything faster.

JCPentax, could you clarify this?

Last edited by krypticide; 06-01-2009 at 10:24 AM.
06-01-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
and
Site Supporter

I figure I should go 32gb with a k-7 with those huge videos, not a lot of cards available tho. the sandisk ultra II is available and affordable, dont know if its fast eanough tho, if it is then Im going with that.

with these huge video files they should enable usb host, ie you can bring a 2.5" usb hd, plug it to the usb of the camera, power it off the camera and shoot video directly to it! wouldnt that kick ass. they are dirt cheap too. the camea already has a usb port anyway
06-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Panasonic Class 10

Panasonic recently announced class 10 SD's, fastest currently available.
06-02-2009, 06:47 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snooked Quote
Panasonic recently announced class 10 SD's, fastest currently available.
Just be prepared to remortgage your house if you want one...

06-02-2009, 09:22 AM   #9
and
Site Supporter

Yea the panas are too expensive. The sandisk ultra 2 32gb is qute affordable so if it does the trick then Im going with that one
08-11-2009, 09:59 AM   #10

Best K7

A big thing to remember is that memory card speeds in terms of X are a MAXIMUM speed.
If a card say it is 150x it just means in perfect conditions in can write at 22.5MB/s. It certainly writes much slower for any sustained data writes.

The fact is that a K7 at max specs requires at least 9-10MB/s, and I have seen 150x cards that will not properly write a video, because they are too slow, despite being "150x". Memory cards are so open to misrepresentation, that I really suggest people post on here what they have actually tested to work well on the K7.

The Sandisk Extreme III (both the early 20MB/s and newer 30MB/s cards) have been tested by me and work fine for a K7 recording video at max settings.
These would be my humble recommendation, but I would encourage anyone to post other cards that they have tested with a video at max settings recording at full duration of the memory card without any skipping or lagging.

As for photos, you certainly do not "need" a card faster than a basic class 6 to record photos, but you probably want one. Imagine shooting with the camera at 5 frames per second and well just say the files are only 10MB each for easy math. That is 50MB/s of data you are pumping into the camera's buffer. Do you really want to get it out at only the 6MB/s of a basic class 6 card? I think not.

I personally cannot understand spending $1300 on a world class camera like a K7 and then buying a cheap card to go with it.
You can pick up a 4GB Extreme III for $32 through NewEgg, which is a very small price to pay for enjoying your expensive new camera.
08-11-2009, 10:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grengrad Quote

The Sandisk Extreme III (both the early 20MB/s and newer 30MB/s cards) have been tested by me and work fine for a K7 recording video at max settings.
These would be my humble recommendation, but I would encourage anyone to post other cards that they have tested with a video at max settings recording at full duration of the memory card without any skipping or lagging.

Do you know if scandisc ultra II are also OK ?
08-11-2009, 12:56 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I wouldn't skimp

on SDHC cards. Even shooting stills on my K10D, I can see an immediate differerence (in the time to write the images to the card) between the SanDisk Ultra II and Extreme III (20 MBps version). You will see it on the red LED on the camera back; it the flickers as the data are written to the card.

When shooting bursts of stills or rapid back-to-back images, you still want a fast card. I'm always concerned that the best image of all will be the one I didn't take because the buffer had filled and we were at a dead stop.

If you watch the market carefully, SanDisk will run a rebate special on cards every few months. I got three 8 GB Extreme III for something like USD $20 each after a $90 (total) rebate. I've tried twice and got the rebate just fine both times.

I'm sure there are other fine cards. But after a miscue or two with others, I've stuck with SanDisk and never had a problem. But then, I've only just shy of 20K images in the last two years so I really haven't put much of a strain on them.
08-11-2009, 07:35 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I know that HoodmN's reputation for not have data loss is impressive to say the least, but has anyone tried them with video? Specifically with the K7 if anyone has had such experience. BTW I don't mind there price for peace of mind.
08-11-2009, 08:04 PM   #14

i got the sandisk extreme III (3)
bro...she boots.
08-12-2009, 09:35 AM   #15
Banned

I use a 16GB Sandisk Extreme III 30mb/sec SDHC card and they just came out with a 32GB version.