Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2009, 11:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

USB Memory usage by K-7 while recording video?

Hello
I am very impressed by the K-7 and plan to buy one. However I have following questions:
  • What is the memory taken by K-7 while recording a 720p video at 30 FPS?
  • I have to record HD video for nearly 1 hour. Does k-7 also ship with a good video compression software?
  • What should be the HD video resolution setting on K-7 without compromising quality?
  • Is an 8 GB Extreme III card good enough for medium quality video for 1 hour?
    Is MJPEG a big memory hog on k-7?
Apologies if these questions have been asked before. If so please point me to those threads.

05-31-2009, 11:59 PM   #2
Forum Member

1. Approximately 4GB for 23 minutes of video @ 720p/30fps, according to the Pentax rep.
2. The K-7 shoots Motion JPEG, which is already compressed. It's unknown if any additional video compression software will ship with the camera. If you want to compress the video further, there are many software applications available.
3. If you are shooting for standard broadcast formats, then 720p. The 1536x1024p30 mode is interesting, but it is not a standard broadcast format or aspect ratio. The camera may upscale when displaying this format over HDMI.
4. Maybe not. The Pentax rep said that the K-7 can do no more than 30 min of video in one shot. 8GB is good for about 45 min of video per #1

Yes, Motion JPEG is a memory hog. It lacks inter-frame compression, so it's easier to deal with for editing, but it takes up much more room than AVCHD (H.264). I don't know if audio is also compressed or recorded as PCM.