Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2009, 09:36 AM   #1

K2000 Fast Shutter speeds locked out on Flash?

Anyone have the K2000..
can you check something..

Switch to M (manual)
Set the shutter speed to something like 1/1000
Now Press the UP button to pop up the flash.

Look at your shutter speed in the LCD monitor

Has it dropped to a lower shutter speed?

On my k2000 it drops to 1/180 and cannot go any faster while the flash is open.

Anyone have the same problem..
anyone know how the solve this?

Thanks...

Last edited by pentaxia; 06-01-2009 at 09:43 AM.
06-01-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

It's not a problem. Your camera's flash sync speed is 1/180 second, and it won't go faster if it knows there is a flash present.
06-01-2009, 10:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

This is a "problem" with all cameras canon and nikon included. This is called the camera's "sync speed". For shutter speeds over 1/180th of a second, the shutter cannot move fast enough to expose the entire sensor and close up again. What it does is reveal a small slit of the sensor at a time progressively moving from the top of the sensor to the bottom. As a result since the flash pulse is so fast, only part of the sensor is revealed to catch the flash, the rest is blacked out. The only solution is to get an external flash (afg-540 etc.) that has a high speed sync feature. What it does instead of firing one strong flash, it has multiple pulses of light rapidly in a row so that the subject is constantly illuminated while the shutter is open.
06-01-2009, 10:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kthung Quote
This is a "problem" with all cameras canon and nikon included. This is called the camera's "sync speed". For shutter speeds over 1/180th of a second, the shutter cannot move fast enough to expose the entire sensor and close up again. What it does is reveal a small slit of the sensor at a time progressively moving from the top of the sensor to the bottom. As a result since the flash pulse is so fast, only part of the sensor is revealed to catch the flash, the rest is blacked out. The only solution is to get an external flash (afg-540 etc.) that has a high speed sync feature. What it does instead of firing one strong flash, it has multiple pulses of light rapidly in a row so that the subject is constantly illuminated while the shutter is open.
Great explanation! I use to open the back of my K1000 to see if would sync correctly with my flash. It has a vertical travel mechanical shutter and when I saw light for that one split 1/60 or 1/30 of a second, I knew I was in business!

06-02-2009, 07:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It would be really nice if the cameras would at least trigger the flash at speeds faster than 1/180, like the other brands do. I can understand why they wouldn't do it, but you can still do creative things with flash even though the shutter is covering part of the frame.
06-02-2009, 12:29 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Other brands?

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
It would be really nice if the cameras would at least trigger the flash at speeds faster than 1/180, like the other brands do. I can understand why they wouldn't do it, but you can still do creative things with flash even though the shutter is covering part of the frame.
This question has been floating around a lot in the last few weeks, particularly with regard to the K-7.

I asked my brother, who has a Nikon D200. He tells me that his camera does exactly the same thing as my K10D. There are ways to fool the camera into setting the shutter speed higher, but if the camera recognizes a flash on the hotshoe, or if you use the built-in flash, it won't allow the shutter speed higher than the sync speed.

He didn't try it with the PC socket, so I don't know if the D200 will fire the flash at faster than 1/250, which is the sync speed on a D200.