Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2009, 08:51 AM   #16

Original Poster
Thanks, guys. My knowledge has increased a little.

QuoteOriginally posted by Duck Dodgers Quote
Actually, there is (was) one camera I know of that did do multi-spot readings...the Canon T90. You could take up to eight spot meter readings, deciding what you wanted to emphasize in the scene (by taking multiple readings on it), de-emphasizing others (taking fewer readings). It was very nice. I miss it. *sniff*
If the K-7 doesn't have it, their next camera should.

06-04-2009, 09:31 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mann Quote
If the K-7 doesn't have it, their next camera should.

I wouldn't hold my breath. Sounds kind of fiddly & slow, kind of un-Pentax-like. Canon also puts that auto depth-of-field mode on their camera which sounds interesting at first but probably has enough shortcomings that many of us wouldn't want to use it much.

I am hoping that the increased # of segments (77) in the K-7's meter will allow it to make better decisions regarding smaller highlights.
06-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
Sounds kind of fiddly & slow
It wasn't, though, in practice. Often it only took two or three readings (each a simple button press) to accomplish the desired results. Certainly less involved than reading the highlights and shadows and deducing the proper exposure from that, as Marc was describing.

Or, perhaps I'm simply not explaining it well. Here's the example given in the owner's manual:

Intermediate Operation

Also, on the topic of matrix or multi-segment metering, I'm not sure small highlights should matter too much, especially with additional segments (77 as opposed to 16). Most matrix metering modes compare the output of the segments to a database of "scenes" stored in the camera, and attempt to select the most appropriate one as the basis for the exposure. The more segments, the higher the "resolution," if you will, of the stored scenes. It then follows, I think, that the higher "resolution" would allow for a greater "hit rate" on appropriate scenes; less ambiguousness involved.