Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2007, 09:42 PM   #1
Forum Member

K10D Build qualit VS ...

I went to a local shop and handled the DSLR's from Nikon, Canon & Sony, specifically the xt, xti, d40, d80, Alpha and was really surprised. They felt like toys. The K10D feels like a real camera, if that makes any sense. The others and their build quality just does not compare. I couldn't get over how small they felt and the weight of the cameras. Not that the images wouldn't be up to par for the decent cameras that they are- but if it ever came down to it, I'm sure I could fend off a villain with the K10D and just watch the other cameras shatter in pieces in the same scenario.

04-24-2007, 09:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Definitely know what you mean about build quality. Like Digital Camera World magazine said, "feels like it was formed out of granite!" I feel that every day as the confidence rises when I pick up my K10D. About the sony alpha... i feel it is a toy with lots of cool gadgets. Reminds me of megablocks, they had great addons, but legos are just way better even without special pieces and do-dads.
04-24-2007, 09:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The Canon build, and build quality, is terrible yes - the A100 is OK and the D80 is nearly as good as the K10D. That's what I found.
04-24-2007, 10:37 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I was holding various Nikon and Canon the other day at Best Buy while my sons played with the games. The Canon 30D was rather amazing in feel. THen I picked up the Xti 400 and it felt like a childs toy. I held the Nikon D40x. A nice cute little camera. It was just too small, but I wouldn't disregard what it can do. I opted for the K100D and it's feel, so I am sure a 10D is in my future one day.

J

04-25-2007, 01:22 AM   #5

I agree with your observation - the K10D not only feels like a real camera it acts like one too!

When I first handled one a few months ago it brought a smile of satisfaction to my face for the solid, comfortable feel and the excellent functionality - I bought one a couple of weeks later after selling my Canon.
04-25-2007, 04:50 AM   #6
Forum Member

It stands up well against the 400D and D80, but sadly not against the magnesium bodied 30D and D200, but the K10D is much cheaper than those.
04-25-2007, 07:04 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I really was shocked by how cheap the Rebel XTi feels in person. This cheapness doesn't really come across in magazine reviews and such, but in person it is really obvious. I think even the Nikon D40 has the XTi beat in terms of ergonomics and solid build quality.

04-25-2007, 08:46 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kemal Quote

*snip*

I'm sure I could fend off a villain with the K10D and just watch the other cameras shatter in pieces in the same scenario.
A baseball bat is better and a lot cheaper.

NaCl(I've heard the new model will squirt obnoxious smelling fluids...they're going to call it the "skunk mode" )H2O
04-25-2007, 09:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsundin Quote
I was holding various Nikon and Canon the other day at Best Buy while my sons played with the games. The Canon 30D was rather amazing in feel. THen I picked up the Xti 400 and it felt like a childs toy. I held the Nikon D40x. A nice cute little camera. It was just too small, but I wouldn't disregard what it can do. I opted for the K100D and it's feel, so I am sure a 10D is in my future one day.

J
Xti 400 feels plasticky; I used it while there was this promotion tour of canon 400d in cbd a while back. 2 young people tried to brain wash the pedestrians to get hooked into this amazing toy from reject shop.

Canon 30d is made of magnesium alloy and it feels solid but heavy. But not weathersealed though.

Many of my hospital colleagues bought Nikon D80 and D200. D200 are well built in terms of appearane and the feel in the hands.
04-25-2007, 09:24 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by fast50 Quote
It stands up well against the 400D and D80, but sadly not against the magnesium bodied 30D and D200, but the K10D is much cheaper than those.
I am interested to hear why you think it holds up to the 400D and D80 well (not weather sealed and plastic). But doesn't hold up well to the 30D, and the D200.

I used to have a 20D, and I find the K10D to be better built, is weather sealed, and feels better in my hand. The D200 is a different camera IMO and I have used it once to take a shot of the guy who owned it. My friend has a 400D, he has let me use it a few times and I think it is cheap.

IMO, the K10D has the advantage over the 30D with the weather sealing.
04-25-2007, 05:49 PM   #11

I have the D200 and K10d plus the ist*DL ,Spotmatic and K1000, Oly E10 and nikon F4 out of all of them I grab the Pentax first. So you might as well say it's my primary system. Why. Ease of use. The D200 is well built no arguement there but for feeling comfortable it's the Pentax. Both are exceptional cameras but I prefer the Pentax. Besides I just bought a new lens for both cameras. I don't one getting jealous of the other.
TedP
04-25-2007, 06:50 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Kendall015 Quote
I really was shocked by how cheap the Rebel XTi feels in person. This cheapness doesn't really come across in magazine reviews and such, but in person it is really obvious. I think even the Nikon D40 has the XTi beat in terms of ergonomics and solid build quality.

The cheapness of the feel wouldn't bother me so much if it fit your hand like a glove, but it doesn't, and after playing with one for a while and then picking up a D80 (just happened to be the next one) it was like getting off a torture rack and into a sauna. And I simply can't abide by the notion that a $140 grip is there to make the undoable doable instead of the good great.

The K10D felt very good as well. They definitely rule the smaller ones I've tried for feel.

Last edited by rboy; 04-30-2007 at 08:21 AM.
04-27-2007, 10:48 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by fast50 Quote
Well, according to dpreview, k10 is smaller but heavier than the 30d. Take a look at the stainless steel box inside the k10. Plus k10 is $200 cheaper than 30d on the average.

k10 ----------------------------30d
(5.6 x 4 x 2.8in) -------------(5.7 x 4.2 x 2.9in)
28oz --------------------------27.7oz
04-29-2007, 08:31 AM   #14
Veteran Member

The K10D is a professional tool

I went to a local shop and handled the DSLR's from Nikon, Canon & Sony, specifically the xt, xti, d40, d80, Alpha and was really surprised. They felt like toys. The K10D feels like a real camera, if that makes any sense. The others and their build quality just does not compare. I couldn't get over how small they felt and the weight of the cameras. Not that the images wouldn't be up to par for the decent cameras that they are- but if it ever came down to it, I'm sure I could fend off a villain with the K10D and just watch the other cameras shatter in pieces in the same scenario.

The K10D is a very capable professional camera. It has every feature one might ask for and more. I have no problem using it under very rigorous conditions. As I have stated in several posts, my major-minor critique, is the lack of the X-Synch cable input.

Ben
04-30-2007, 03:37 AM   #15

I could not agree more. I have tested 5 DSLR's for a magazine here in holland togeher with 5 other photographers. The only one who comes close to the same feel is the Nikon D80. The worst is the Canon D400 which feels like something you get with a Mcdonalds happymeal.