Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What is your thought on the SR switch missing?
I would definitely miss the dedicated SR switch on the camera body. 4435.20%
I prefer rifling through menus to activate one of the most important features of my camera. 3628.80%
I'm neither here nor there on the subject but I use SR often. 4132.80%
I'm neither here nor there on the subject and I do not use SR often. 43.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2009, 09:57 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have accidently turned off SR and changed some other settings by accident also and had some bad shots turn out because I didn't realize it until much later. My feeling is that functions that I would be changing often should be on a switch and those I hardly ever touch ( like SR) are better off in a menu. Mine is on all the time except for the tripod.

06-02-2009, 10:04 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kristoffon Quote
It's a step backwards for me. I disable SR when shooting macro.
Can I ask why?
I do a lot of macro and never turn it off (apart from by mistake).
06-02-2009, 10:08 AM   #18

If you don't need to deactivate SR when using a tripod, I would prefer not to have it as a hard switch. I'm not sure of the rationale behind deactivating SR on a tripod, but it is a pain.
06-02-2009, 10:20 AM   #19
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by jfsavage Quote
If you don't need to deactivate SR when using a tripod, I would prefer not to have it as a hard switch. I'm not sure of the rationale behind deactivating SR on a tripod, but it is a pain.
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
Can I ask why?
I do a lot of macro and never turn it off (apart from by mistake).
Because when shooting a sharp macro, you're most likely using a tripod and SR makes the image look soft.

Test it sometime. Sharply focus on a defined subject while on the tripod. Shoot with SR on and off. The SR image will have a fuzzy look to it. The circuit is trying to correct an already sharp image. Same for panning. if you are following a fast moving object moving across the screen, SR will try to correct the movement and can mess up the shot.

06-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I must be one of the only goofballs who turns SR "on" when I think I may need it. It's almost always off on my K20D (I do a lot of tripod work) since I've seen it "soften" otherwise perfect shots waaay too often for me. But I know why this happens... in interior or low light I use AF.S and hold the shutter button halfway while using quick-shift to adjust focus. Just enough time for the little "shakey hand" to pop up even when my shutter speed and focal length are not too bad. So, bing! Soft-focus!

Don't know whether I'd be super-annoyed at going into a menu to disable this, since the AEB button is what really miffs me. (See my sig...)
06-02-2009, 10:52 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I'll pass on voting in the poll since it is obviously a "push poll" but I will comment: I have owned a k10d and a k20d, and not once...not a single time...have I ever turned SR off. I have never found the need to. Even when using a tripod (not often) I leave it on because I do not detect that SR causes a problem.

So as far as I am concerned, I am glad they took the lever off the k-7. Just one more thing to break/leak/bump, etc.

BTW, a good way to see what effect the SR has when on a tripod is to use the live view on the k20d. Since you are viewing the sensor output, you can see any effect that SR has. I have found that in some cases, such as astrophotography through a telescope, SR is helpful on the tripod because of vibrations in the telescope.

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 06-02-2009 at 11:00 AM.
06-02-2009, 12:01 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by kcmadr Quote
Option 2: I prefer rifling through menus to activate one of the most important features of my camera.

Or am I missing something?
Yes. It's one of the most important features, although I have no idea why you ever needs it to be turned off, unless you're on the tripod 50% of the time and cannot wait for 2 seconds.

I find myself accidentally turning off SR very often. So leaving it ON all the time is the way to go for me. If you put it on tripod, switch to 2 second timer. It'll turn off SR automatically and engage MLU at the same time.

Also, some reported that there's a weak point on the K10/20 body near the SR button where it's prone to cracks. Removing the button makes even more sense.
06-02-2009, 12:50 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Because when shooting a sharp macro, you're most likely using a tripod and SR makes the image look soft.

Test it sometime. Sharply focus on a defined subject while on the tripod. Shoot with SR on and off. The SR image will have a fuzzy look to it. The circuit is trying to correct an already sharp image. Same for panning. if you are following a fast moving object moving across the screen, SR will try to correct the movement and can mess up the shot.

Ah right, I know you have to turn it off when using a tripod but but I have never used one for macro shots (and most of my PPG gallery shots are macro)

06-02-2009, 02:13 PM   #24

I'll Pass As Well

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
I'll pass on voting in the poll since it is obviously a "push poll" but I will comment: I have owned a k10d and a k20d, and not once...not a single time...have I ever turned SR off. I have never found the need to. Even when using a tripod (not often) I leave it on because I do not detect that SR causes a problem.

So as far as I am concerned, I am glad they took the lever off the k-7. Just one more thing to break/leak/bump, etc.

BTW, a good way to see what effect the SR has when on a tripod is to use the live view on the k20d. Since you are viewing the sensor output, you can see any effect that SR has. I have found that in some cases, such as astrophotography through a telescope, SR is helpful on the tripod because of vibrations in the telescope.
I'm with the OSU guy, if you can't give me an answer that doesn't push your agenda, the poll is useless. I am also one of those who only turns SR off when using a tripod and whenever I do use a tripod, I am using the 2 second mirror lock up.

"I prefer rifling through menus to activate one of the most important features of my camera." needs to be replaced with "I would definitely not miss the dedicated SR switch on the camera body."

After all, assuming the default is SR on, you will be using the menu to de-activate and then re-activate.

Last edited by felix68; 06-02-2009 at 02:18 PM.
06-02-2009, 02:31 PM   #25
Inactive Account

I really don't understand the meaning of this poll. It is not going to change on the K-7 since the design was finalized long ago.

Additionally, since very few have actually handled the camera, how can you tell how easy or difficult it is to turn on and off. It is like saying you don't like fried pickles before you have ever tasted them.

As a photographer, not a Pentax employee, I am overjoyed this has been removed. I ran into way too many situations where the switch was changed when I put the K10D and K20D in my camera bag. Same with the mode dial. The addition of a locking mechanism is great.

Plus, as someone who has actually used a K-7, it is pretty simple to go in and change the Shake Reduction setting.
06-02-2009, 02:36 PM   #26
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

The mode dial is a great addition and a far bigger improvement than the SR switch. I can't count how many times I've quickly changed the metering and suddenly wondered why the camera doesn't work right. Look at the dial and realize it's in the green mode. I think adding that lock button was brilliant.
06-02-2009, 03:06 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by felix68 Quote
If you put it on tripod, switch to 2 second timer. It'll turn off SR automatically and engage MLU at the same time.
I did not realize that! The only time I turn off SR is when I use the 2 second timer for MLU - I guess I should read the manual more carefully.

I'm interested that some people experience softness with SR.
06-02-2009, 03:33 PM   #28
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by jfsavage Quote
I did not realize that! The only time I turn off SR is when I use the 2 second timer for MLU - I guess I should read the manual more carefully.

I'm interested that some people experience softness with SR.
Only on a tripod. Otherwise SR is a great feature and one of the primary reasons to own a Pentax. Far better IMHO than IS or VR (more cost effective when looking at glass).
06-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
The mode dial is a great addition and a far bigger improvement than the SR switch. I can't count how many times I've quickly changed the metering and suddenly wondered why the camera doesn't work right. Look at the dial and realize it's in the green mode. I think adding that lock button was brilliant.
+1

Having just spent an evening recovering ~250 underexposed shots from RAW because i've switched to M-mode by accident.... don't ask... I have no idea how... I'm always shooting in the Aperture-priority, but that evening everything was going the wrong way... my preview was off, the SR was off (one of these "accidental" occurrences)...

So the addition of the mode-dial lock is very welcomed!!!
06-02-2009, 03:55 PM   #30
Pentaxian

On My K10D and K20D I leave SR on all the time. When I shoot from tripod, I use either 2 sec. mirror lock up or remote control, in both cases SR automatically is switched off. I believe that K-7 won't be less intelligent than that, therefore I don't care about missing SR button.

The button I am missing is dedicated bracketing button.