Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What is your thought on the SR switch missing?
I would definitely miss the dedicated SR switch on the camera body. 4435.20%
I prefer rifling through menus to activate one of the most important features of my camera. 3628.80%
I'm neither here nor there on the subject but I use SR often. 4132.80%
I'm neither here nor there on the subject and I do not use SR often. 43.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2009, 04:57 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jedperkins Quote
I find it funny that even with the poll bias in the way the choices were phrased, the poll authors prefered opinion as reflected in the bias is in a substantial minorty of the responses. It is barely the top result in the polls of all selections, and far less than 50% of all the selection. My rant is against bad polling practices. Horses for courses, I guess...
Could be. But I'd still rather have the switch, if anyone asked. But, still, as mentioned above, maybe it's not needed. Maybe the new SR is just that cool. Will that make an analog near- Luddite like feel better? Probably not for a while. Heck, if they supplied a 'Sensor-tightening' wingnut, I'd probably use that. But maybe it's just that cool. Doesn't seem any testers have remarked on this point yet.

06-04-2009, 07:09 AM   #47

This poll has been useful to me - from what I've found out in this thread, I will not miss the SR button at all.
06-04-2009, 09:38 AM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Because when shooting a sharp macro, you're most likely using a tripod and SR makes the image look soft.

Test it sometime. Sharply focus on a defined subject while on the tripod. Shoot with SR on and off. The SR image will have a fuzzy look to it. The circuit is trying to correct an already sharp image. Same for panning. if you are following a fast moving object moving across the screen, SR will try to correct the movement and can mess up the shot.
If this is true, it would mess up the shots when you happen to hold the camera real steady as well. Or perhaps just always? I've never heard anyone say that hand held SR shots are ever worse because of SR.

I don't want the button, I do want to leave SR on and for it not to mess up my shots!

In my own tests I find it mostly difficult to tell the difference on or off although I don't have a majorly expensive tripod to guarantee no movement.

What does happen sometimes is that you shoot before the hand is ready and that can mess up shots. I'm thinking that this is the real reason that Pentax say not to use it on a tripod?

Why doesnt the camera stop you taking the picture until the hand is ready - or an option for that anyway?

When taking pictures of birds as I do with long lenses, SR seems like a godsend, but you never know if the bird will suddenly fly and you have to pan. I've taken some panned shots that are OK with SR on. Surely lots of subjects are static one second (SR on) and then they move and you pan (SR off). You can't keep turning it on and off according to the random movements of wildlife (or people).

Is a steady pan actually affected by SR? How does the camera know?

In summary if SR can just be left on all/most of the time then no button is needed.
06-04-2009, 04:05 PM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kevbirder Quote
If this is true, it would mess up the shots when you happen to hold the camera real steady as well. Or perhaps just always? I've never heard anyone say that hand held SR shots are ever worse because of SR.
I have read people say their hand-holding is better with SR off, but I'm sceptical about such claims.

You may be interested in this experiment regarding tripod & SR performed by ChrisA on the Pentax UK forum.

His results make a lot of sense to me. I'm not sure what the motivation for turning off SR on a tripod (or really steady hands) is. It shouldn't be easily dismissed since it is a Pentax recommendation. However, I find it hard to believe (and ChrisA couldn't confirm it) that SR always makes a tripod shot worse. I speculate that under certain circumstances, SR could make a tripod shot worse than one done without SR and it is just safer to turn it off completely although it won't have an ill-effect in general.
EDIT: The discussion about "Using long telephotos & Shake reduction" suggests that extremely long focal lengths and tripods with high Eigen frequencies could be contributing factors.

Please note that I haven't done any experiments myself. I'm just trying to make sense of the conflicting information.

What does happen sometimes is that you shoot before the hand is ready and that can mess up shots.
I'm assuming if the SR isn't ready, it is not engaged at all and you are shooting as if it were off. But I don't know for sure.

Is a steady pan actually affected by SR?
Falconeye has posted his observations (using Live View). In short, SR tries to compensate for a short while, but when the sensor moves to an extreme position, it just stays there until the panning stops, but still corrects for other the other dimension. That seems to work like an automatic panning detection. However, check out this shake reduction + "panning" thread (in particular falconeye's post again) as to when and why things can still go wrong when combining panning & SR.

Last edited by Class A; 06-04-2009 at 06:50 PM.
06-04-2009, 06:47 PM   #50
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
The only time I've used the switch is when I notice that it accidentally got bumped to off in my camera bag and then I grumble for a bit and turn it back on. So, I am definitely in the "I prefer rifling through menus to activate one of the most important features of my camera" camp because once "rifled", it will stay there.
Ditto on both points.
06-05-2009, 01:04 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
never touch the switch, if the camera goes on the tripod then i put on 2s delay and SR it turned off by default... for me the switch is pretty much useless.

I don't really see its need.
06-05-2009, 07:15 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
EDIT: The discussion about "Using long telephotos & Shake reduction" suggests that extremely long focal lengths and tripods with high Eigen frequencies could be contributing factors.
If that means a "really flimsy tripod" I suppose the motion generated by the SR could create even more vibration.
06-05-2009, 09:35 AM   #53
Dom

I've not got a K-7 but I miss it already.

06-05-2009, 10:47 AM   #54
wll
Veteran Member

This Pole is Written Like a Politician With an Agenda !

..... but besides that, I'm very glad the SR is now easily accessible in the firmware.

A number of times, no matter how careful I am the SR switch has moved on me.

I shoot with SR on ~99.5% of the time - not much need to change it often. I ONLY take SR off when I do studio tripod work.

JM2cents.

wll
06-05-2009, 07:19 PM   #55
Forum Member

I've had my K10d for almost two years now and not once have I turned it off, nor have I wanted to.
06-11-2009, 10:42 AM   #56
Pentaxian

I'd miss it.

The Mustang shot is the reason.

At a fly-in, air show, game, or other event with a lot of activity, I may need to have SR on for a static shot (shaky hands) but off for the opportunity for a moving aircraft, person, or other kind of vehicle. That opportunity may arise (literally) without warning. A B-2 (stealth) bomber coming across the field at a low altitude does not give itself away prior to arrival.

When the opportunity for the shot only exists for a few seconds, I want to change to "motion mode" without taking my eye from the viewfinder. This isn't just a matter of horizontal panning. Lots of moving objects (aircraft, basketballs, etc.) don't move in a simple horizontal path. Even cars on a roadtrack are going up/down hills and round curves.

I'm afraid that without an SR button, I'll be forced to change to Tv mode and a very fast shutter speed. Perhaps that limits the impact of SR but it also hurts DOF and/or ISO.

Given that the K-7 hardware design is fixed, I vote for the ability to turn SR on/off via a "soft" button, one whose function is assigned by the user. Does anyone really know if this is possible via firmware? We already have some assignable functions so the concept doesn't seem much of a stretch.

Last edited by glanglois; 06-11-2009 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Typo
06-11-2009, 12:11 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
That's the whole reason.

I check my images immediately after taking the shot. If the image is shaky (which happens because of my inherent tremor ), I turn SR on and re-shoot. If it's fine, I leave SR off and proceed with recording the next image. I like to use SR only if necessary, and the usage is very erratic, so I use the button a fair amount.

But you know what, if the camera we used had ALL its functions within the menu system only, we'd use it and enjoy it!!!

I love the idea of "soft" buttons!!!