Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What is your thought on the SR switch missing?
I would definitely miss the dedicated SR switch on the camera body. 4435.20%
I prefer rifling through menus to activate one of the most important features of my camera. 3628.80%
I'm neither here nor there on the subject but I use SR often. 4132.80%
I'm neither here nor there on the subject and I do not use SR often. 43.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-7 SR Activation Switch Absence Poll

I was looking at images of the K-7. I noticed the SR switch was missing, which led me to research whether it had SR or not. It does. So the SR activation must be buried in the menus somewhere. This is something I use intermittently all the time. The fact that it is buried in the menu is something I am mildly irritated over - for example with the white hot intensity of a thousand blazing suns.

The opinion poll I'm conducting is to find out what percentage of you out there would really miss the dedicated SR switch on the camera body, having instead to fiddle with the menus.

Option 1: I would definitely miss the dedicated SR switch on the camera body.
Option 2: I prefer rifling through menus to activate one of the most important features of my camera.
Option 3: I'm neither here nor there on the subject but I use SR often.
Option 4: I'm neither here nor there on the subject and I do not use SR often.

Or am I missing something?

06-01-2009, 10:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have to wonder if removing the switch is going to make it harder for Sigma to sell its OS lenses on Pentax? Other than that, I prefer the switch in the menus. I use the two or three second drive option to disable SR when needed on a tripod. Any other time, and SR is on.

It would be nice if there was a programmable top five menu tab that displayed first that you could assign your top five most needed menu items.

My top five on the K20D would be; WB when using flash, EV steps, Auto EV Compensation, Preview Method, and AF button.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 06-01-2009 at 10:35 PM.
06-01-2009, 10:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The only time I've used the switch is when I notice that it accidentally got bumped to off in my camera bag and then I grumble for a bit and turn it back on. So, I am definitely in the "I prefer rifling through menus to activate one of the most important features of my camera" camp — because once "rifled", it will stay there.
06-01-2009, 10:29 PM   #4
and
Veteran Member

I prefer to have hard buttons on the body for functions so the more buttons the better for me, especially switches that makes it obvious to see what setting you have it set on, you might forget you had turned sr off in the menus and not turned it on again but you would notice if a switch on the body was in the off position, at least I would

06-01-2009, 11:45 PM   #5

FWIW, it's been said that SR is in the quick menu / status screen, so it won't be that hard to get to. Press Info, arrow to it, and e-dial/ok to change.

I'm in the "neither here nor there" camp; I normally have it on, and when on a tripod I use one of the delayed drive modes that disables it anyway. I might miss the switch when wanting to pan handheld, but that's rare for me.
06-02-2009, 12:08 AM   #6

K-7 SR Activation Switch Absence Poll

I feel that if SR stays on most of the time why have a button. I prefer to have less buttons since they need wires and circuitry and that adds more wheight and complexity to the camera.

I know somone on the other forum posted that he broke the SR button on the "off" position and now has no shake reduction.

To me the less buttons the better. Makes the camera simpler so I can constrate on photography, just setup and shoot away.

Jacob
06-02-2009, 12:58 AM   #7
Forum Member

I don't think I'll miss the SR switch.

But the poll you have started is imho flawed, because the answers you suggest are biased. For you SR may be one of the most important features your camera, but that 's not the case for everyone. And even if it is the most important feature, that does not automaticaal mean that the removal of the switch is a bad thing, although your question implies otherwise.

06-02-2009, 04:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
The only time I've used the switch is when I notice that it accidentally got bumped to off in my camera bag and then I grumble for a bit and turn it back on. So, I am definitely in the "I prefer rifling through menus to activate one of the most important features of my camera" camp — because once "rifled", it will stay there.
+1. I don't recall ever willfully turning off SR on my K10D, apart for showing people it really works

When I use a tripod, it's usually for macros/landscapes, and the 2-second timer takes care of SR for me.

And from what I gather, turning off SR on the K-7 will not be that difficult using the "Info screen quick-access" menu.
06-02-2009, 06:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll have to wait till I get my K-7 and actually use it a while before I can judge this matter. As it is now I leave SR on except when using a tripod, which is often, and then switch it off.

I suspect this is not going to be a big deal one way or the other, a lot of my tripod work also utilizes MLU and with the new dedicated MLU feature, I will be into the menu anyway.
06-02-2009, 07:03 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Where it might be an issue for me is studio work. I'll use the tripod on and off a lot. I don't use the 2 second delay when shooting portraits on a tripod. So being able to switch back and forth quickly is a plus. Just another thing to get used to. What I really wish they had kept was the locking tab on the SD door. I've accidentaly opened the card door on the *istD many times. Not sure how well sealed this type of door will be.
06-02-2009, 07:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by drerka Quote
But the poll you have started is imho flawed, because the answers you suggest are biased. For you SR may be one of the most important features your camera, but that 's not the case for everyone. And even if it is the most important feature, that does not automaticaal mean that the removal of the switch is a bad thing, although your question implies otherwise.

You're absolutely right about the bias. That's just a small rant on my part. My opinion is bound to be biased, that's what makes it my opinion. I think I included all the options in the poll though. A rose by any other name...

06-02-2009, 07:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I figure if you have AF lenses you'll want SR most of the time anyway, and if you have MF / m42 lenses you need to dig into the menu to enter your focal length anyway, so the process isn't actually any more annoying. Ya?
06-02-2009, 08:09 AM   #13
Veteran Member

It's a step backwards for me. I disable SR when shooting macro. With the K20D I have absolutely no need to go into menus. With the K7 I'd have to. Same thing with the bracketing button. Though I never used, why take away two simple switches? How much can they possibly save doing that? There isn't even a customizable button I can assign that feature to.
06-02-2009, 08:12 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I use SR all the time, unless i'm on a tripod in which case i use 2 second delay and it turns off automatically. Also find that i frequently turn it off by accident...

So no question for me, i have no use for an SR switch on the body, it gets in the way and i wish it wasn't there
06-02-2009, 09:24 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Having deactivated a bunch of times the SR by accident I'd rather dig it out in a menu... It's hard to notice sometimes...