Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2009, 08:32 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JCPentax Quote
However, we do have the interval shooting mode where you can preset the time between images (up to 99 shots) then tie them all together with software (which I know is possible).
Correct. Except that now with video, 99 shots (or 3s footage) is a bit short, isn't it? When you talk to "the engineers", maybe mention it. Together with MLU in manual exposure interval shooting to minimize wear on the shutter/mirror.

06-03-2009, 04:10 AM   #17
raz

The full video resolution is 1536x1024. All video is recorded at this resolution then down sampled to the selected resolution.
Thank you, this is very good news that is not upsampling from lower resolution.

But do you have any information how the camera is taking the 1536x1024 image ? Is using a "big super pixel" made out of several pixels (so by this using all the sensor pixels), or just using one pixel from a set of pixels, disregarding their neighbours ?

Thanks
06-03-2009, 06:17 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raz Quote
Thank you, this is very good news that is not upsampling from lower resolution.

But do you have any information how the camera is taking the 1536x1024 image ? Is using a "big super pixel" made out of several pixels (so by this using all the sensor pixels), or just using one pixel from a set of pixels, disregarding their neighbours ?

Thanks
Very interesting concept. The fujifilm S100fs was once a major consideration of mine for one reason. When you push the ISO limits up it downsizes the image, because it is using 2, 4, or 8 pixels for every one pixel in the image, thereby keeping noise incredibly low. It would be great to see this technology being used when shooting at low resolutions or in video, but im willing to bet there would be processing issues or something which would limit the ability of the sensor to do this continuously.
06-03-2009, 12:02 PM   #19
Veteran Member

1) 4GB (due to FAT32) or 25 minutes due to EU tarrifs on "video" equipment, whichever comes first depending on your resolution and quality settings.

2) Slower cards can effect video recording, but I never got a clear explanation how (lost in translation).

3) With 720p, and the maximum 4GB file size, you are looking at a 9 minute, 26 second file (at the highest quality setting). Lowest quality setting at 720p, 18 minutes, 37 seconds. Lowest quality overall - 25 minutes.
Thanx for answering those!
Some more.. :-)
  • Does the K-7 create a new file automatically (if it reaches 25 minutes/4GB) without the user noticing any interruption while shooting? or Does the user need to press the shutter activation again?
  • A general unrelated question: How many years does pentax maintain inventory of older design shutter boxes? If my shutter activations go beyond 100K within 3 year warranty and shutter malfunctions does pentax replace my shutter box?

06-03-2009, 01:48 PM   #20
Forum Member

John,

Was AVCHD ever considered as a codec choice instead of M-JPEG? (AVCHD is more efficient, but more processor-intensive)

Thanks,
Jim
06-03-2009, 03:00 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can video recording be started using an infrared remote?
06-03-2009, 07:18 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by danny09 Quote
Thanx for answering those!
Some more.. :-)
  • Does the K-7 create a new file automatically (if it reaches 25 minutes/4GB) without the user noticing any interruption while shooting? or Does the user need to press the shutter activation again?
  • A general unrelated question: How many years does pentax maintain inventory of older design shutter boxes? If my shutter activations go beyond 100K within 3 year warranty and shutter malfunctions does pentax replace my shutter box?
1) No, the video just stops.

2) We typically maintain parts for DSLR cameras for 5-7 years after the end of production (industry standard). The 3-year warranty covers anything the standard one year warranty covers.
06-03-2009, 07:19 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimby Quote
John,

Was AVCHD ever considered as a codec choice instead of M-JPEG? (AVCHD is more efficient, but more processor-intensive)

Thanks,
Jim
I don't know, but processing capacity was a major concern (hence, the reason there is no AF during movies). Plus, the royalties involved with different codecs had to be considered.

06-03-2009, 10:11 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Is there some sort of beep or maybe visual warning when you are approaching the limit for the video?
06-04-2009, 02:48 AM   #25
Veteran Member

How about suggesting to resolve that issue for countries outside EU? Just offer 2 versions of a firmware and sell cameras with a crippled version in EU... And don't forget to let everybody to download a second version (at their own risk of course )...
Full manual control would be great as well - any chance for this?...
06-04-2009, 07:49 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Can video recording be started using an infrared remote?
Yes. The drive mode options are starting and stopping with the shutter release or the remote.
06-04-2009, 07:50 AM   #27
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
How about suggesting to resolve that issue for countries outside EU? Just offer 2 versions of a firmware and sell cameras with a crippled version in EU... And don't forget to let everybody to download a second version (at their own risk of course )...
Full manual control would be great as well - any chance for this?...
I thought I had mentioned this before, but what happens when a K-7 that takes longer video shows up in an EU retailer? Pentax is likely hit with some pretty major fines.
06-04-2009, 07:51 AM   #28
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
Is there some sort of beep or maybe visual warning when you are approaching the limit for the video?
The remaining time is displayed on the rear LCD panel during movie capture.
06-04-2009, 09:57 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I thought I had mentioned this before, but what happens when a K-7 that takes longer video shows up in an EU retailer? Pentax is likely hit with some pretty major fines.
Isn't that retailer's responsibility if they sell unauthorized equipment? It's like selling FCC Pocket Wizards in EU - they are going to work of course, but it's illegal to sell it and they can't fine Pocket Wizard for that.
What about fully manual mode for video?
06-04-2009, 05:16 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There was a similar problem with camcorders (either UK or Euro related, can't remember). Camcorders that could record from their line-in were classed as VCRs over there and had some extra tax put on them (IIRC), so all the camcorder makers made models for them, and then exactly the same model for the rest of the world allowed such recording. I don't remember Panasonic getting sued because of some of the "world" models showing up in the UK. Of course firmware hackers could fix this limitation, and so everyone was happy!