Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can D-range be used in video mode with the K-7?

06-06-2009, 01:37 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JCPentax Quote
The remaining time is displayed on the rear LCD panel during movie capture.

I was wondering this as well... that seems like a great feature.

Question: Is there any video editing /joining etc software to be included with the camera?

Neil

Last edited by nulla; 06-06-2009 at 01:44 AM.
06-06-2009, 04:06 AM   #33
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
I was wondering this as well... that seems like a great feature.

Question: Is there any video editing /joining etc software to be included with the camera?

Neil
Already answered: No there will not. You will be able to play the videos with the included software, but not edit
06-07-2009, 06:04 PM   #34
K-9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I wished the K-7 had bluetooth connectivity to send photos to your phone/pc/etc instantly, rather than the video feature. Something a little more useful to still photographers would have been nice.

06-07-2009, 06:37 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
I wished the K-7 had bluetooth connectivity to send photos to your phone/pc/etc instantly, rather than the video feature. Something a little more useful to still photographers would have been nice.
There is: the electronic level will be a godsend, at least as far as I concerned. I just sorted 1000+ pictures from a recent trip and I can't believe how much pictures are crooked. This feature, combined with the 100% VF will allow me to loose much less pixels and gain a lot of time in PP.
06-08-2009, 08:10 AM   #36
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Can D-range be used in video mode with the K-7?
No. That is part of the ISO controls, and these can't be accessed for videos.
06-09-2009, 04:05 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JCPentax Quote
No. That is part of the ISO controls, and these can't be accessed for videos.
Ah. I was honestly hoping we'd have the same capability to set things before beginning video shots as we had with the K20D's burst mode, and that the lack of available controls during video was just referring to the ability to change settings during shooting. Have there been any hints or indications from pentax that a change in final firmware or future firmware update might allow greater manual control of video?
06-10-2009, 07:43 AM   #38
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ah. I was honestly hoping we'd have the same capability to set things before beginning video shots as we had with the K20D's burst mode, and that the lack of available controls during video was just referring to the ability to change settings during shooting. Have there been any hints or indications from pentax that a change in final firmware or future firmware update might allow greater manual control of video?
Likely not. You have to remember that these are capabilities that were added to the Canon 5D mkII long after it was introduced, and that camera has a ton more processing power and is more than twice the price.

We have certainly communicated our concerns to Japan about what Canon did with the 5D, but I don't think we will see additional video controls out the gates.

06-10-2009, 05:46 PM   #39
Pentaxian

I'm a little confused then, how is the ISO chosen for video then? Is it always on auto and we have to choose Av mode?
06-10-2009, 08:52 PM   #40
Veteran Member

I'm sure JCPentax will correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you get to set the aperture and then the camera picks and varies the shutter speed and ISO throughout the shot. I'm hoping they allow you to set exposure compensation prior to shooting (even if not during shooting).

I'm still a bit surprised that the lack of an ability to set things like ISO and shutter speed prior to the beginning of shooting. Being unable to change them during shooting makes sense due to the need for increased processing, but if anything manually setting the camera's video exposure settings prior to the shot would decrease the processing power needed, since the camera doesn't have to calculate exposure while filming.

If such controls are possible, I wouldn't mind if they are added a while after the camera's actual release, the same way they were with the 5D mkii. I'd just like them to be there some day if there's no reason why they absolutely can't be.
06-11-2009, 01:24 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I'm a little confused then, how is the ISO chosen for video then? Is it always on auto and we have to choose Av mode?
From my post https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/626650-post609.html:

I don't have no final conclusion about this yet, but this is what I think about it (after playing with the function):
  • Aperture can be easily controlled (either fixed = preset at start of recording or "auto" (probably also constant during recording)).
    (You can hear the aperture changing and I don't hear this once recording started. But could have been the lighting which didn't change enough.)
  • Exposure can be locked/unlocked (also during recording).
  • EV compensation remains active (only at start of recording).
  • ISO button says: "function not available in current mode"
Shutter, Iso, (or aperture in Auto) are invisible, on rear/top LCD or VF, or AVI file.

What is nice is that exposure can be locked/unlocked during an ongoing recording. Several times, I had adjusted the composition (% of bright sky ...) such that the live view and histogram looked fine and then pressed AE-L.
06-11-2009, 01:34 AM   #42
and
Veteran Member

I'm still a bit surprised that the lack of an ability to set things like ISO and shutter speed prior to the beginning of shooting. Being unable to change them during shooting makes sense due to the need for increased processing, but if anything manually setting the camera's video exposure settings prior to the shot would decrease the processing power needed, since the camera doesn't have to calculate exposure while filming.
I agree with this. It should be possible to do with a firmware update like the mk II. either the camera can calculate an iso or you can specify an iso, it still needs to set an iso to use. Dont see why it wouldnt be possible for the user to say which one to use instead of the metering system.

Could be possible in a future firmware update.
06-11-2009, 10:00 AM   #43
Forum Member

it's possible to add manual iso control in video and what JCPentax said about 5Dmk2 is not a concern here. Iso control isn't power hungry nor the ability to control shutter speed. The canon have a dedicated chip but it's purpose is to do the actual H264 encoding. Concerning the price, yes 5dmk2 cost more but it's an FF, 21mpx camera ! I mean they have not increased the price because of new manual controls. Canon rarely add such functionnality aftersale, still they done it. The question is why Pentax refuse to do it ? they could sell far more cameras, really. Pentax, listen to your customers, everybody interested in video will need it.
06-12-2009, 06:41 AM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by danny09 Quote
  • What is the Maximum length of video on K-7? 30 mins?4GB? :-)
  • Does video shooting slow down if we use slower USB cards?
  • How long will it take at 720p for an 8GB Extreme III card to fill up? Inversely how long can I shoot at lowest quality using an empty 8GB card?
I am mighty delighted that a Pentax employee is fielding this huge barrage of questions :-)
Much appreciated!
Can anyone at Pentax or users of a pre-production K-7 inform me what kind of delay there is after finishing the recording a video clip before starting the next one? I know the speed of cards need to be taken into account. Sometimes in hi-continuous mode on my K20d, RAW still photos take a few seconds to write to the card, and I am wondering how this might affect shooting video at events where long delays would be not good.

I can't wait to get one of these baby's in my hands.
06-13-2009, 02:03 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Trademarque Quote
what kind of delay there is after finishing the recording a video clip before starting the next one?
I haven't measured it but it is rather short.

I would say about 2-5s and this seems to be independent from the length of the clip.

Also, a clip is automatically stopped when the estimated size exceeds available space on card. As it is a conservative estimate, one may be able to start recording again right afterwards