Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2009, 09:18 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K-7 Video Questions

Hi all,

There were several video question threads out there, and I was a little behind, so I thought I would start another thread specifically for these questions that I can track a little more closely.

I can't promise I can answer all the questions (since I am not a video expert), but hopefully can shed some light on some of the questions.

06-02-2009, 09:33 AM   #2
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, can you really answer? I ask because it seems the firmware is not finished and we hear different things about movie mode based on what firmware the person who wrote it had tried.

If they have made up their minds, then what if the final word on AF in the movie mode. Only at the beginning, or can be activated with AF button during shooting? (as it seems was possible at least in one version of the firmware)
06-02-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JCPentax Quote
Hi all,

There were several video question threads out there, and I was a little behind, so I thought I would start another thread specifically for these questions that I can track a little more closely.

I can't promise I can answer all the questions (since I am not a video expert), but hopefully can shed some light on some of the questions.
  • What is the Maximum length of video on K-7? 30 mins?4GB? :-)
  • Does video shooting slow down if we use slower USB cards?
  • How long will it take at 720p for an 8GB Extreme III card to fill up? Inversely how long can I shoot at lowest quality using an empty 8GB card?
I am mighty delighted that a Pentax employee is fielding this huge barrage of questions :-)
Much appreciated!
06-02-2009, 01:11 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
thanks for taking the time to answer questions before i place my pre-order

How does video recording affect the sensor in terms of its lifespan?
K20D is said to last 100K actuations.
will this accelerate K-7's degradation for photo/video taking?

06-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi John:

Is there a way to disable shake reduction for the crazy ones that may want shake in their video?

- Jason
06-02-2009, 02:13 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Well, can you really answer? I ask because it seems the firmware is not finished and we hear different things about movie mode based on what firmware the person who wrote it had tried.

If they have made up their minds, then what if the final word on AF in the movie mode. Only at the beginning, or can be activated with AF button during shooting? (as it seems was possible at least in one version of the firmware)
Well, I have firmware version 0.37 which was sent from Japan this morning. All answers will be based on that.

Plus the only big change in video was from FW 0.20 to 0.33.
06-02-2009, 02:18 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by danny09 Quote
  • What is the Maximum length of video on K-7? 30 mins?4GB? :-)
  • Does video shooting slow down if we use slower USB cards?
  • How long will it take at 720p for an 8GB Extreme III card to fill up? Inversely how long can I shoot at lowest quality using an empty 8GB card?
I am mighty delighted that a Pentax employee is fielding this huge barrage of questions :-)
Much appreciated!
1) 4GB (due to FAT32) or 25 minutes due to EU tarrifs on "video" equipment, whichever comes first depending on your resolution and quality settings.

2) Slower cards can effect video recording, but I never got a clear explanation how (lost in translation).

3) With 720p, and the maximum 4GB file size, you are looking at a 9 minute, 26 second file (at the highest quality setting). Lowest quality setting at 720p, 18 minutes, 37 seconds. Lowest quality overall - 25 minutes.

06-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pixel r0n1n Quote
thanks for taking the time to answer questions before i place my pre-order

How does video recording affect the sensor in terms of its lifespan?
K20D is said to last 100K actuations.
will this accelerate K-7's degradation for photo/video taking?
The 100K actuations is the life of the shutter unit, not the sensor. I am sure the senser is longer. One movie = One shutter actuation.

I am sure the engineers took movie recording into account when the new sensor was designed.
06-02-2009, 02:24 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by inferno10 Quote
Hi John:

Is there a way to disable shake reduction for the crazy ones that may want shake in their video?

- Jason
Of course. Either through the menus or the quick menu through the INFO button.
06-02-2009, 03:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Hi John,

Has anyone at Pentax/have you/have you heard of anyone using the video function with manual K-mount or M42 glass? Can you change the aperture on the fly using a lens with an aperture ring (I don't see how this could be prevented)?

Thanks!
06-02-2009, 04:12 PM   #11
raz

Ok I have a tough question

How is the K7 making a video ? Each frame is taken at full sensor resolution(~4600x3100 pixels) then the internal processor is re-sizing to 1280x720 ?

Or the sensor only records one in every 6 pixels or something similar to this ?

From the other video thread on "news and rumours", we think the camera is actually shooting at lower resolution like 1024x768 then is upsampling to 1280x720 or 1536x1024. Is it true ?

If so do you think you can compare a frame from a video at 1280x720, with a still image (made on the same subject) that you take at full resolution - rescaled in Photoshop at 1280x720, and look for differences in details, sharpens, anti aliasing ? Just a subjective opinion would help

Thanks
06-02-2009, 07:34 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Hi John,

Has anyone at Pentax/have you/have you heard of anyone using the video function with manual K-mount or M42 glass? Can you change the aperture on the fly using a lens with an aperture ring (I don't see how this could be prevented)?

Thanks!
I tried it with an FA lens with the aperture off the A position. It worked fine, and when I changed the aperture it effected the exposure.
06-02-2009, 07:37 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by raz Quote
Ok I have a tough question

How is the K7 making a video ? Each frame is taken at full sensor resolution(~4600x3100 pixels) then the internal processor is re-sizing to 1280x720 ?

Or the sensor only records one in every 6 pixels or something similar to this ?

From the other video thread on "news and rumours", we think the camera is actually shooting at lower resolution like 1024x768 then is upsampling to 1280x720 or 1536x1024. Is it true ?

If so do you think you can compare a frame from a video at 1280x720, with a still image (made on the same subject) that you take at full resolution - rescaled in Photoshop at 1280x720, and look for differences in details, sharpens, anti aliasing ? Just a subjective opinion would help

Thanks
The full video resolution is 1536x1024. All video is recorded at this resolution then down sampled to the selected resolution.
06-02-2009, 07:39 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Time Lapse Movies On K 7 Possible?

I would love to see time lapse movies in HD taken from sunrise to sundown along a beach,seems like it would be an awesome test.
06-02-2009, 08:08 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shutterpuppy Quote
I would love to see time lapse movies in HD taken from sunrise to sundown along a beach,seems like it would be an awesome test.
I am not sure what that would involve.

However, we do have the interval shooting mode where you can preset the time between images (up to 99 shots) then tie them all together with software (which I know is possible).