Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2009, 04:13 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
yes, anyone can tell you that, actually: there would be no difference (unless you cropped a lot to get this one). don't get the k20d thinking it will deliver sharper pictures for displaying at such size as above, because it has twice the pixels or so. i love my k20d, but that's the last reason to buy it. unless you print really big or have a need to crop a lot, the pixels won't make a difference (i have printed a4 from my k100d and it looked superb, even without sharpening, even looking at the print up close, a4 is pretty much the limit for 6mp, if you want to examine the print your nose against it, but who in their right mind would want that for a print bigger than a4? )

there are many reasons to love the k20d though, just make sure you spend the cash for the rightones. if you can't find any, buy some glass you want or finance a photo trip you always wanted to take.

just my two cents

06-13-2009, 04:18 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
as you can see, the "customer" has received the "merchandise", and i am still breathing, so it seems i might just survive this one . let's see some of those pictures now, mr demayo (you know which ones i am talking about..), see the "post your photos" or photo critique forums in here.

albert: this reminds me of a joke we linux users used to make "our studies have showed our users are smarter."
06-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
der: 150usd is not a lot of money. i never used af adjustment before (don't even know how to access the damn thing), but i love the sensor and.. well, everything else about the k20d. however, if size and weight is important to you, and can't see yourself getting the k-7 soon, the k200d might be the right choice, regardless of how small the price difference is, they are just different cameras imho, you better try them both and see which you like best. also check for deals on kits of the two (if you have any interest to get those lenses offered), the price difference might prove to be bigger..

good luck (never easy, making a choice)
06-13-2009, 05:02 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I sure would have loved AA batteries when I forgot my charger on a trip to Belfast.

06-13-2009, 07:31 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
yes, anyone can tell you that, actually: there would be no difference (unless you cropped a lot to get this one). don't get the k20d thinking it will deliver sharper pictures for displaying at such size as above, because it has twice the pixels or so. i love my k20d, but that's the last reason to buy it. unless you print really big or have a need to crop a lot, the pixels won't make a difference (i have printed a4 from my k100d and it looked superb, even without sharpening, even looking at the print up close, a4 is pretty much the limit for 6mp, if you want to examine the print your nose against it, but who in their right mind would want that for a print bigger than a4? )

there are many reasons to love the k20d though, just make sure you spend the cash for the rightones. if you can't find any, buy some glass you want or finance a photo trip you always wanted to take.

just my two cents
This is just the advice I was looking for!

I really don't enlarge my prints larger than A4, but I really thought more pixels would equal a sharper print even at smaller sizes.

I love my K100D, but from reading all the good things about the K20D, I want one. I heard the viewfinder is much nicer than the K100D.

I'm going to take a little while longer to make my decision.

Believe it or not, I'm pretty much satisfied with my collection of glass for now, since I bought the DA70mm, my Lensbaby and my SMC M100 macro.

Thanks very much for the explanation and your advice, nanok.

I owe you a beer!

Mike
06-13-2009, 08:41 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I found it smaller than I like, but very intuitive to operate, and fitted with the kit lens easy to hold. With the kit lens, compared to my K10 + D-BG2 grip + DA* 16-50, the K200d was a point and shoot in weight and size. I didn't notice the viewfinder drawbacks due to the pentamirror. Tanya will use the scene modes for most of her shooting.
That is how my K100DS feels compared to my K10D fully loaded like yours (with a 16-45). I absolutely love it! I have big hands and the camera feels like a big P&S. Combine that with my lightweight Tamron 70-300 and I have a camera ready to use handheld all day long without any fatigue. Great for family events, air shows, youth sports, etc.
06-14-2009, 04:24 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
glad to be of help mike. i'll be sure to claim the beer as soon as i get to new york (long swim, i might want several, on second thought..)

if you want the upgrade and have the cash, don't let me stop you going for the k20d, however try to find a pentaxian near you who owns it (or a shop) and see if the size and such suiths you, before. if it does, i think you will love the k20d. the k200d is very similar to the k100d in size and handling.

good luck
06-14-2009, 05:30 AM   #38
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You may even be happy with getting a K10D...
Same sensor as the K200D but the K200D's claim to fame is a better processing algorithm, which I have no idea if it has any real life improvement over the K10D.

The K10D, though, has excellent customising features - check out its profile on the camera review database here, and compare it to the K20D for an objective look at what you'd like and what you don't really care for in these cams.

I too have a K10D and a K20D but would be happy with either of these if I just had one, although I have slightly more latitude with the K20D when shooting in low light (ISO 1600 is very useable and I've captured quite a few keepers at ISO 3200).

06-15-2009, 09:51 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i see we have the first pictures from the "victim". pretty good, for the first go with a dslr (especially as it's a well known fact that pentax slrs are useless for shooting sports)

(see joeydemayo's gallery)
06-15-2009, 11:45 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
albert: this reminds me of a joke we linux users used to make "our studies have showed our users are smarter."
Well, they are. Duh.

07-07-2009, 12:51 PM   #41
Inactive Account

hi nanok,
I uploaded more pictures. I am not so experienced with postprocessing and composition (like most of the people here), but I'm doing my best . I feel I'll find here all the help I need to improve myself.
everyone is welcome with critics.

thanks

joeydemayo
07-07-2009, 01:43 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I just bought the K200D due to the size and the availabilty of an affordable grip. Sounds odd to buy the K200 because of the smaller size and then add the grip, but the combo is almost perfect for me. Like others have said, added size and weight may be uncomfortable.
07-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Here's another of those impossible sports shots. This is my favorite so far with my K200D. This is shot with my old manual zoom lens.

07-07-2009, 03:20 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K200D is fun. Shoot RAW (and convert with Adobe Raw) and it goes up another level.

The only downers are (for me) the lack of pentaprism, the bulk compared to earlier generations (personally I'd like it to be 100g lighter), and the additional noise that comes with the increased resolution.

Congratulations on your friends purchase.

I too did the rounds with Nikon (D60), Canon (XSI) and Olympus (E520).
The D60 is very capable, but there were no primes available then at a reasonable price.
I'll stick my neck out here and say that the high ISO performance of the Canon nearly won me over (as did the spot metering and increased viewfinder size), but the body felt awful.
Putting heavy lenses on the end of it seems like a poor idea. I tried three times to like it and couldn't.

The Oly felt good and lenses are interesting and reasonably light, but image quality and exposure lattitude (DR) were not there (The E620 is interesting though - amazingly light, good size viewfinder, in-body IS, and interesting lenses -1 pancake!).

Personallly, can't wait to see what replaces it. I'm hoping that the line of a mid-range to match the original prosumer wars (D70, Rebel, and *Ist DS) is followed (Canon T1i, Nikon D90, Pentax ???...).
07-09-2009, 12:37 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
actually, the viewfinder of the k200d should be better (more coverage, only slightly less magnification, but given the increased crop factor of the rebels it balances out in favour of the pentax, even without taking coverage into account), to the eye, i would expect the k200d to look bigger when you look through the viefinder, maybe just slightly, but definetly not smaller.

i am also curious what will come to replace the k200d, i hope pentax dont think the k-m is it :/