Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I know this probably isn't a huge deal for lots of people and is probably true across most cameras but long exposures eat batteries like crazy on the K200. Granted, if you're doing 20 minute+ exposures you should have an AC adaptor anyways. The noise on those long shots isn't too bad, all things considered.

My k200d didn't come with an AC adaptor. Wish it would have.

All in all I do not regret buying my k200d. One thing I do like about it is that it is small enough for my wife to use. The k20d would have been too big and heavy for her.

Slow FPS and small buffer would also be two knocks against the k200d. I've learned to work around that.

I picked mine up from prodigital2000 for $400 with the 18-55 kit lens last christmas. You can find them for roughly that on ebay or about $100 more on amazon.

I don't think I'll ever get rid of this camera. The images are great, functions are good. The build quality is superb for this price range. It actually feels like a real camera. Even when I eventually upgrade I would have no problem using my k200d as my second body.

My bias comes from my experience.

Last edited by lurchlarson; 07-09-2009 at 12:54 PM. Reason: clarification
07-15-2009, 06:16 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
actually, the viewfinder of the k200d should be better (more coverage, only slightly less magnification, but given the increased crop factor of the rebels it balances out in favour of the pentax, even without taking coverage into account), to the eye, i would expect the k200d to look bigger when you look through the viefinder, maybe just slightly, but definetly not smaller.

i am also curious what will come to replace the k200d, i hope pentax dont think the k-m is it :/
You are absolutely correct re the viewfinder - I was comparing the C**on one with the Xti (which was much smaller).

Yeah, I am going to wait and see before purchasing the K-7. The K-7 is a wonderful camera, but it might do too much for me. I'm happy with mid-range, well specified and fairly compact size and weight (less than the K-7!).
07-16-2009, 02:12 AM   #48
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
I know this probably isn't a huge deal for lots of people and is probably true across most cameras but long exposures eat batteries like crazy on the K200. Granted, if you're doing 20 minute+ exposures you should have an AC adaptor anyways. The noise on those long shots isn't too bad, all things considered.
Long exposures are a power-hungry exercise - CCD>CMOS but still draining either way... AAs find it harder to cope than the Li-ion batteries, but you'll need a fully charged set to get the most out of the nights out in the open...

I'd managed with 3-4 long exposures (30-45mins each) on one fully-charged Li-ion battery on my K10D, which then went on to capture about 300 more regular shots before needing to rejuice...

No need to worry aboout noise as long as exposure is right for capturing the stars and any ambient light, and ISO is set relatively low (<400).