Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2009, 05:15 PM   #1

Expected life span of the shutter mechanism of a K20D?

What is the expected number of shots the shutter mechanism can pull off before it can start to fail on the K20D?

I have a GX-20, but I assume its the same parts as the K20D in this case.

Last edited by Smirf; 06-02-2009 at 05:25 PM.
06-02-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've read that 100,000 shutter actuations is the tested amount for the K20D. Others would probably have more (and better) information than me on this, though, as I am by no means an expert on technical issues.
06-02-2009, 05:37 PM   #3

Original Poster
I've had my camera in five weeks and I've already made around 4500 shots. If I continue at that rate I'll hit 100 K in about 2 years. Bummer

Does anyone know the expected cost of replacing the shutter mechanism?
06-02-2009, 05:43 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Re numer of shutter actuations

I purchased a K20D as soon as one became available and use the camera
on a daily basis, its been around the globe serveral times, dont know the shutter
count as there is no tally (I think), If you consider the pace of camera inovation
the camera will be out of date long long before the shutter fails, in fact its more
likely to fail through age and lack of use.

06-02-2009, 07:16 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by DAVID564 Quote
............. If you consider the pace of camera inovation
the camera will be out of date long long before the shutter fails, .........
My thoughts exactly
06-02-2009, 09:14 PM   #6
Ari
Veteran Member

It's rated for 100,000 actuations. If you're taking just under 1000 shots a week, consider yourself lucky; you have time to pursue either a wonderful hobby or a rewarding profession. I am very jealous!
QuoteOriginally posted by Smirf Quote
I've had my camera in five weeks and I've already made around 4500 shots. If I continue at that rate I'll hit 100 K in about 2 years. Bummer

Does anyone know the expected cost of replacing the shutter mechanism?
06-02-2009, 10:32 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ari Quote
It's rated for 100,000 actuations. If you're taking just under 1000 shots a week, consider yourself lucky; you have time to pursue either a wonderful hobby or a rewarding profession. I am very jealous!
or he is like me... and that bad at photography that he needs to take a thousand shots a week to get a good one

Thanks

Steve

06-02-2009, 11:04 PM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As you get better at it, you'll find yourself taking less photos but more keepers.
Don't worry, enjoy the process!
06-02-2009, 11:19 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by DAVID564 Quote
I purchased a K20D as soon as one became available and use the camera
on a daily basis, its been around the globe serveral times, dont know the shutter
count as there is no tally (I think)
It's recorded in the image metadata; see this thread for details.
06-29-2009, 04:59 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ari Quote
When I'm out and about with my camera I simply want to take a lot of photos. I just came home from a nine days trip to Austria. During those days I took about 750 photos.

Having that said, I've been practising taking burst shots of moving objects to get that effect with a movement blurred background and a focused object. Which explains a bit of the actuations.

I don't mind to wear and tear my camera gear. That is much better than letting it collecting dust, and I'll learn a thing or two during the process

And since the predecessor to the GX-20, the Pentax K10D, can survive the vacum and freezing temperatures of space I'm sure the GX-20 will manage with anything I can throw at it. I actually used it in rather heavy rain while I was in Austria. No problem what so ever. I did of course protect it under my rain jacket when I didn't take photos.
06-29-2009, 11:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Smirf Quote

Having that said, I've been practising taking burst shots of moving objects to get that effect with a movement blurred background and a focused object. Which explains a bit of the actuations.
You don't need to take burst shots to do that. You just need to slow your shutter speed down.
06-29-2009, 03:03 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
You don't need to take burst shots to do that. You just need to slow your shutter speed down.
Sorry, I was a bit tired when I wrote that so I confused two techniques I've been practising. I do know that you slow down the shutter speed to get that effect. I've been standing next to a busy road for a long time to learn the panning effect with my tripod, taking lots of pictures. I used the burst mode to take pictures of fast moving obects, my sisters kids when they play for example.
06-29-2009, 03:04 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I've read that 100,000 shutter actuations is the tested amount for the K20D. Others would probably have more (and better) information than me on this, though, as I am by no means an expert on technical issues.
The 100,000 actuations is technically "Mean Time until Failure". On average, the shutter in my K10d, and presumably the k20, will take 100,000 releases before it fails. Some people will be unlucky and fail after 50,000, others will still be snapping away happily at 250,000.
07-02-2009, 12:04 AM   #14

Look this site Camera Shutter Life Database

We all should input our shutter data into it, it will help all of us.

LeGuillotine

(K200D shutter count ~6000, after 2 months use)
07-02-2009, 03:23 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I seem to remember that the communication was that the shutter was designed for a "guaranteed" 100K clicks. That would imply that the mean time until failure is actually much higher.

But who knows... I only get to about 10K shots before I buy a new camera anyway. But I am not a very trigger happy photographer. I tend to look around very well before deciding which shots will be worthwhile.

Wim