Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2007, 05:51 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
DS owner, buy k10d or wait little bit longer ?

I posted this on dpreview as well, so please ignore this if you answered this already. Thank you
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought I will never start thread like this but friend of mine is going to USA next week and I cant decide whether buy k10d or wait a little bit more.

k10d price dropped to $849 (bhphoto) and I am thinking about buying it. I would be happy with k100d (we have it at work) but k10d has much more functions and it's much more faster + grip is advantage.

On one side something is telling me to wait, VPN is still an issue and with Pentax announcing 2 more cameras this year I dont want to spend my money and regret that I havent waited for 2 months. I am quite happy with DS but it has it's problem (please read further)

On other hand I would like to buy new camera, I had it borrowed for 2 weeks and it's great body. Also my DS is not working correctly with my my film lenses (FA 50mm f1.4 and FA 35mm f2.0) which is really annoying. They work fine with optimal light but in tricky situation they tend to over expose by 1 - 2 stops and it's not really usable in real day situations. Also I am going to Marakkech for 4 days and I think k10d would be bonus.
So my question would be:

1. Would you wait little bit if you knew that you will have only one big photoshoot ?

2. What body can we expect ? k10d upgrade ? Or k100d upgrade with new k1d body ?
3. If there is k100d upgrade or k10d upgrade what is the expected price range ?

Thank you for you help.
--
Fero, London

04-25-2007, 06:24 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I am extremely pleased with my K10D, and though I'm only a college student, I can't find any problems with it at all. There are no features that I wished I had at all, and there are many features (like sensitivity priority) that I haven't even tried yet.

Being a Mac user, I have heard a lot of the same questions posted time and again. Should I get a new MacBook, even though Apple may update soon? From all those posts I have really found three questions that one should ask themselves when making a purchase like this:

1. Do I need it now?
You say you have one big photo shoot coming up, so it seems like you need it soon.

2. Is there something wrong with the K10D so that I should wait for a newer model?
Some would say VPN is a problem, but I can't find traces of VPN on my photos...but that's just me.

3. Does it make financial sense to get it now?
I don't know the whole deal with exchange rates, but I gather that you will pay about 50% less money to get the K10D in the states vs. in England. Makes financial sense to me.

I personally know nothing about the new models that should arrive this year, but I do know that my K10D has no problems at all. I haven't noticed issued with VPN in my pictures, and I personally think that VPN is really not as big of an issue as others do.

Just some food for thought.
04-25-2007, 06:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Unfortunately this is a decision one has to make on his own. As you already know US prices are a steal compared to EU so if this is a once in a lifetime chance to get K10D without taxes than I'd go for it. Mind that new models might not be better in all aspect (K10D lacks TTL that *Ist D had).
If your friend is going to USA again than perhaps you can wait.
04-25-2007, 06:33 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kendall015 Quote
1. Do I need it now?
You say you have one big photo shoot coming up, so it seems like you need it soon.
Yes but then there might be 2-3 months when I dont have time for more shootings.

QuoteQuote:
2. Is there something wrong with the K10D so that I should wait for a newer model?
Some would say VPN is a problem, but I can't find traces of VPN on my photos...but that's just me.
I am not using ISO 800 or more anyway so this might make sense. I am very reluctant to use ISO 1600 on my DS.

QuoteQuote:
3. Does it make financial sense to get it now?
I don't know the whole deal with exchange rates, but I gather that you will pay about 50% less money to get the K10D in the states vs. in England. Makes financial sense to me.
Yes price is certainly right. I bought my DS for $950 back in 2005. So for less money I would get much better camera. But then there is uncertainty with Hoya vs Pentax merger and also with 2 new models it seems that they will release one on Photokina (or I would expect them). But if it's k100d upgrade and k1d then it's not my category.

04-25-2007, 07:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by feronovak:
1. Would you wait little bit if you knew that you will have only one big photoshoot?
No.

2. What body can we expect? k10d upgrade? Or k100d upgrade with new k1d body?
The only people who know aren't talking. It's anyone's guess.

3. If there is k100d upgrade or k10d upgrade what is the expected price range?
Probably close to what the current models were sold for, when new.

Remember, Fero. There will always be a new model just around the corner. Always been that way. I purchased my first Pentax SLR back in 1976. Many, many new models became available over the years, but I never felt the need to "upgrade" until the digital DS became available. I was able to do fine with the same camera for over 28-years.

Now, I don't expect my dSLR bodies to last as long. Today, they are more electronic devices than imaging devices. Sure, they take pictures, but every year, new technology makes the things so much more capable and versatile.

I got the DS, and it is a good camera. Never had the issues with under and over exposure that a lot of people fret about. Use a FA50/1.4 and FA35/2.0 also. JPEG images are acceptable, and for most situations, I shoot RAW, which gives way more latitude in image manipulation than would be possible in JPEG mode only. In other words, I shoot RAW, only being concerned about blowing out the highlights. Post processing fixes everything else.

Sure, it takes more time, but just how many digital images, or even from our film days, do we enlarge to hang on a wall? Or, how many do we even print out for inclusion into a photo album?

For my applications, the only thing I really wished the DS had was more megapixels. For action sports, being able to crop and maintain any decent resolution is very important to me. Also, Shake Reduction had proven itself to be the most important feature that I take advantage of, (I very rarely use flash).

Shake Reduction, 10 megapixels, faster autofocus, and greater dynamic range of the RAW data is what sold me on the K10D . . . and have come to rely on them extensively. The other features...WX sealing, accessory grip, Sv mode, etc.; while all being nice, are things I can live without in a camera.

In summery, purchase the camera today that will do the job for you today. There's new stuff coming, but if the currently available bodies do what you want and need, and your current body cannot do so, then it would be wise to "upgrade". Especially if you can get a "deal" in whatever circumstance you find yourself. Only you, (and your discretionary, available funds), can make your final determination. Good luck.
04-25-2007, 08:07 AM   #6
PDL
Pentaxian

It comes down to - can I afford this? I have the Ds and it has served me well - and no - I will not give it up - there is always the need for two bodies.

The K10D has all the features that I found lacking in the Ds - dedicated AF button, two programmable thumb wheels, sealing, SR etc. I even prefer the extra weight since I find it easier to hold a relatively heavy object steady as compared to a light object (I am old you must understand). I like the idea of being able to quickly turn off all the automation or change settings without having to go the the menu as on the Ds.

The is a personal decision - if you can afford it - get it - If you get into the position that you will wait for the "ideal" next generation to come out - you will be using the Ds until you are as old as I am. Once you buy it, stop looking at prices - why bother?

PDL
04-25-2007, 01:47 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by feronovak Quote
k10d price dropped to $849 (bhphoto) and I am thinking about buying it. I would be happy with k100d (we have it at work) but k10d has much more functions and it's much more faster + grip is advantage.
Well it's $820 at Adorama, free shipping included. Does $30 cheaper help?

QuoteQuote:
On one side something is telling me to wait, VPN is still an issue and with Pentax announcing 2 more cameras this year I dont want to spend my money and regret that I havent waited for 2 months.
For 99% of K10D owners, it appears the VPN issue is disputed as to even existing enough to be noticeable or just not an issue when they can detect it. They simply use their cameras and love the results - what a novel concept! If you look for a problem long enough, you WILL find it... I think it is reasonable to say that most K10D owners do not agree that VPN is something to worry about. You may be one of those it DOES matter to, of course, but only you can judge that.

If you are of the subset of folks that worries what the price will be two months from now, or if there will be a new model that is close to this one and yet specifically addresses VPN (or whatever the issue flavour of the month is), you're always going to be teetering on the brink - and probably vaguely dissatisfied when the next generation is released.

Life is too short and there's too much to point cameras at! If your budget puts the K10D on your shopping list, and you prefer it over the Nikon, Sony, Canon, whatever alternatives, then buy it. As you've probably skimmed the 'net for a while during agonizing over this, you're probably aware nobody knows what is coming out next or if it will address what concerns you. What happens if the issue you're concerned about - VPN - is supposedly WORSE in the next model approximating the K10D?

If the K10D appeals to you over other offerings, buy the camera and go have fun with it; quite looking at Pricegrabber.com and similar sites. If the price drops $50 over the next two months... so what, any enthusiastic photographer will have gotten $50 dollars worth of enjoyment out of their camera during that time. Or... to look at it another way, $50 less aggravation with what they are currently using that is causing them to consider buying a K10D.

I understand the purchasing frame of mind because I just pulled the trigger on a new K10D myself. Yes, I saw the prices dropping. Yes, I read the uproar over VPN. Yes, like anybody who considers buying ANY new high tech digital device these days, I wondered what a few weeks and a new model would bring. But like I said, life's too short. If the K10D suits you over other possibilities, then it's a great choice right now, at the price you can get it for in the US right now. If you're really nervous about what you're going to put into it costwise, then see if you can find the Samsung clone for sale in the US at a lower price.

Worst comes to worst, if you just aren't happy with it once a new model comes out, keep it in good shape and sell it to recoup some of the expense of purchasing it. Write off the difference between what you bought it for and what you sold it for as rental on a camera body that isn't giving you the problems your current one apparently is.

Life is good! The K10D is a quality camera at a very reasonable price, right now, just as it is. For me, that's basically what it came down to when making my decision.

And have fun on your trip!

04-25-2007, 03:58 PM   #8

How long is the maximum that you can wait?
04-25-2007, 04:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hi Fero

After being in the IT area for the last 5 years and been/seen so many LBA/CBA, I have come to the following conclusions:

1. Buy it when you need it, not when you think you might need it in the future. Technology always advances.

2. Get the best you can within your budget.

3. If you got cash to burn, ignore the two points above. Just get whatever you fancy =)

cheers
Kenny
04-25-2007, 09:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kjao Quote
1. Buy it when you need it, not when you think you might need it in the future. Technology always advances.

2. Get the best you can within your budget.

3. If you got cash to burn, ignore the two points above. Just get whatever you fancy
Best advice I've heard concerning technology in a long time. Points to remember.
04-25-2007, 11:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

After being in the IT area for the last 5 years and been/seen so many LBA/CBA, I have come to the following conclusions:....
I've been dealing with IT purchases for twenty-five years - and I can confirm that Kenny's advice is generally sound. But I sum it up slightly differently: If you can resist the urge to buy, then by all means, resist, save your money. But if you feel the urge strongly enough and you can afford to buy now, then don't feel bad about giving in.

There's almost never a "right time" to buy, certainly not a right time that you can know in advance. People who didn't buy a computer last fall because they were waiting for machines with Vista on them now find that Vista has a few bugs left, drivers are missing, old software still isn't compatible, etc., so Dell is offering buyers the option of getting Windows XP on new computers, and the folks who didn't buy last fall simply lost out on six months of fresh horsepower. Meanwhile, those who DID rush to buy machines with Vista installed earlier this year (or those who, back in March 2001, rushed to install Mac OS X.0) discovered that the reality of the new release was less exciting than the pre-release sales pitch.

Now, a camera is a more reliable product than an operating system from the get-go. So the odds are that Pentax's next camera will be great. It will almost surely be even better than the model it is intended to replace. But you won't know how much better until it arrives, that is, you can't tell now whether it will be worth postponing your purchase for. And there's an "opportunity cost" to waiting - all those great shots that you are missing right now.

Let me be very clear: I'm NOT urging you to buy. My advice is, if you can resist the urge to buy, then resist. But don't feel bad about buying now just because you know it's going to be obsolete within the next year. If you refuse to buy anything that could be obsolete within a year, you'll never buy another digital camera in your life.

Will
04-26-2007, 01:18 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chocolar Quote
How long is the maximum that you can wait?
I can wait, it's not urgent but it would be nice to get camera which would have right exposure with 35mm and 50mm ... On other hand I would hate to buy camera and to see new announcement within month or two.
04-26-2007, 06:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

... would hate to buy camera and to see new announcement within month or two.
That's a risk that you will have to accept at some point. The K10D was officially announced in September, but not for sale until December here in the states, and later in Europe and Asia/AUS. Some places couldn't purchase one for six months after the official announcement. Then, there were strong rumors for six months before the official announcement. (Currently, I see no 'strong' rumors of a new body anytime soon. The currently available bodies are selling very well, which allows Pentax more R&D time in developing any new models, (i.e., there is no 'rush' to get a new model to market).)

A new body isn't going to make your old one obsolete. Decide when you need a camera, then purchase it. Don't fret so much. They are all good. Possibly you should consider a used body from any number of vendors to tide you over until the body you really want is available. You can get very good D and DS bodies for less than $350. Some places even have new ones. That's about a third of the price when they were newly on the market. Less so for the D, which is a great camera.
04-26-2007, 07:15 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Hi Fero

I'm sitting here tickled at having just won a 1956 Ricoh 35 Deluxe rangefinder. And I'm torn between picking up a Spotmatic or a Spotmatic II.

Technology always advances. But some of us furiously backpedal anyway.
04-26-2007, 08:07 AM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Rick Quote
-snip-
For 99% of K10D owners, it appears the VPN issue is disputed as to even existing enough to be noticeable or just not an issue when they can detect it. They simply use their cameras and love the results - what a novel concept! If you look for a problem long enough, you WILL find it... I think it is reasonable to say that most K10D owners do not agree that VPN is something to worry about. You may be one of those it DOES matter to, of course, but only you can judge that.
Haha. Psychology is interesting, isn't it?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/6174-two-nineteen-am.html#post50986