Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrads K200D!

I checked out the July 2009 edition of Consumer Reports because it featured the camera review in this issue.

The K200D placed 3rd in the Basic DSLR section with a blue check mark. The Nikon D90 and the Olympus E-30 placed higher, but had no check marks!

This check mark highlights features which makes the camera stand out from the others.

The K200D's weather sealing and top LCD panel earned it the nod.

I knew this was an awesome camera and Consumer Reports confirmed it!

No wonder I could not find it it the Ritz/Wolf stores that were closing!

06-03-2009, 11:09 PM   #2

I saw this, glad someone else did too. Unfortunately I only had a couple minutes with the magazine, and the owner took it away

IIRC the check mark indicated a "great value" or otherwise something CR recommends, and the K200D was the only one with it in the entry-level DSLR category.

The K2000/K-m was also in that category, but placed quite a bit lower. Did you happen to see anything in the review text that explained why?
06-03-2009, 11:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quension Quote
I saw this, glad someone else did too. Unfortunately I only had a couple minutes with the magazine, and the owner took it away

IIRC the check mark indicated a "great value" or otherwise something CR recommends, and the K200D was the only one with it in the entry-level DSLR category.

The K2000/K-m was also in that category, but placed quite a bit lower. Did you happen to see anything in the review text that explained why?
I will read in depth tommorow and post what I find. I am a route salesman and I service grocery stores. The magazines are EASILY within my reach!
06-04-2009, 04:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Basic DSLR?
Meaning an entry level camera?
I thought it was more advanced than that.
Anyway, it's a great camera that can be found at a bargain price...if you're lucky enough.

06-04-2009, 06:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
Basic DSLR?
Meaning an entry level camera?
I thought it was more advanced than that.
Anyway, it's a great camera that can be found at a bargain price...if you're lucky enough.
The Nikon D90 was in the mix as well; it ranked no. 1. I thought it also was more advanced especially with the movie mode. There was also an advanced category were the models similar to the K20D were reviewed.

Anyway, the K200D is more advanced; Consumer Reports only had two catergories for whatever reason, maybe to save on space because they had other products to review.
06-04-2009, 02:16 PM   #6
Pentaxian

It's a typical CR reivew - explanations of why certain cameras did better than others are shaky, and to the extent they are made clear, they are kind of unbelievable in their silliness (eg, battery life is apparently one of the most impotant differentiators).

I couldn't see any obvious reason the K2000 (16th) did so much worse than the K200D (3rd), except that it score lower in "versatilty" (a subjective assessment of the control system & presence of useful features - presumably a nod to the K200D's weather sealing, top LCD, orientation sensor, etc). But lots of higher-rated cameras scored no better than the K2000 in that respect, so for some of them, it was the marginally higher battery life that was presumably the differentiator (eg, 500 instead of 400 shots).

The K20D came in dead last out of six in the advanced category, with a lower "versatility" score than the K200D, but a higher composite score overall - the competition was just that much tougher.

BTW, the canon XSi (rated just below the K200D) also got a "recommended" rating - the only camera other than the K200D in that category (17 total).
06-04-2009, 09:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
It's a typical CR reivew - explanations of why certain cameras did better than others are shaky, and to the extent they are made clear, they are kind of unbelievable in their silliness (eg, battery life is apparently one of the most impotant differentiators).

I couldn't see any obvious reason the K2000 (16th) did so much worse than the K200D (3rd), except that it score lower in "versatilty" (a subjective assessment of the control system & presence of useful features - presumably a nod to the K200D's weather sealing, top LCD, orientation sensor, etc). But lots of higher-rated cameras scored no better than the K2000 in that respect, so for some of them, it was the marginally higher battery life that was presumably the differentiator (eg, 500 instead of 400 shots).

The K20D came in dead last out of six in the advanced category, with a lower "versatility" score than the K200D, but a higher composite score overall - the competition was just that much tougher.

BTW, the canon XSi (rated just below the K200D) also got a "recommended" rating - the only camera other than the K200D in that category (17 total).
There you have it! I wasn't going to go there with the K20D, being a K10D owner but you are right ; it was a tough comparison against the competition.

But I am glad to see CR reporting what I already knew.

The K200D is an highly capable MID-LEVEL camera ( with the release of the K2000).