Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2009, 07:47 AM   #1

k20d buying tips?

I recently got a new job, and to celebrate I am upgrading from my trusty k100d to a k20d.

I had a few questions before I make my purchase:

1) Does anyone expect a rebate in the works soon for the remaining k20ds? Is there already one?

2) Any recommendations for a place to get a good deal (that's not one of the bait and switch places...)? So far the cheapest I've found is $679.00.

3) I have the old version of the 18-55. Is it worth gettnig the new version, or is it just minor differences? (i.e. should I get the k20d body, or the kit lens too?)

4) is there any reason to wait a while? I'm not in a super hurry, but it seems to be a sweet spot in the market in tems of featuresrice. Any reason to think it will get better?

Thanks!

06-05-2009, 09:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Whether or not it's worth it to upgrade the kit lens would depend on what *other* lenses you have. Neither kit lens will really take advantage of the full capabilities of the K20D in terms of IQ, but the new one will certainly come closer. If you've got other better lenses in that range, I'd say the difference in kit lenses isn't enough to be worth upgrading. But if it's your only lens in that range, you probably would want to upgrade in order to see the sort of improvement in IQ you might be hoping for from your camera upgrade. On the other hand, I wouldn't necessarily recommend just getting the new kit lens - I'd look into lenses that are *significantly* better. The specifics would depend again on what other lenses you have, your budget, your interests, what specifically about the K100D + kit lens combo you were finding limiting that makes you want to upgrade in the first place, etc.
06-05-2009, 11:19 AM   #3

Man,

I think you can sell your 18-55 and buy 50mm AF 1.4 (below 200$). And you will never buy another len kit.
06-05-2009, 11:20 AM   #4

Original Poster
I've been wanting to upgrade for a while, but getting the new job kinda clinched it

I had been kinda hoping when the k7 came out, the k20d stocks would go on sale...

as for the lens, I currently have just a small set of lenses...the kit lens, a tamron 70-300mm (4-5.6), an old manual 50mm M f/1.4, a Vivitar 2x Macro-focusing teleconverter (also M), and an old Pentax 28mm f2.8 M.

SO not a lot of great glass, though the old 50mm is a sweet old thing. I'd like to replace my kit lens with a sigma 10-20 or something equivalent, in the future.

Since I am limited in budget, and do like to shoot wildlife, etc, the extra mp will come in handy. I had set myself about a 4-5 year repalcement schedule for bodies, and it's about that for my k100d.

The k-7 is sweetness all around, but I don't shoot video, and most of the other features just don't justify the extra cost for me right now.

The k20 is my sweet spot in the market, I'm just trying to get the best deal I can.

06-05-2009, 01:38 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats on the new job! Nice to hear in these tough times.

1) Does anyone expect a rebate in the works soon for the remaining k20ds? Is there already one? Haven't a clue as to whether this will happen, sorry no help there.

2) Any recommendations for a place to get a good deal (that's not one of the bait and switch places...)? So far the cheapest I've found is $679.00. I ordered my K20D at the beginning of May from B&H. $679 with free shipping, which I upgraded to 2-3 day at a reduced cost and I ordered the Pentax extended warranty for $9.95 also. Wasn't the cheapest deal but I trust B&H (or Adorama or Buydig, take your pick because the cost was roughly the same for all).

3) I have the old version of the 18-55. Is it worth gettnig the new version, or is it just minor differences? (i.e. should I get the k20d body, or the kit lens too?) I bought body only and I have the original kit lens from my DS which I never use since upgrading to the DA 16-45. With the K20D, I think you will be more pleased with your results if you invest in glass that is more than "consumer." Also, the new kit lenses will be weather resistant so you may want to see how they look in a couple of months.

4) is there any reason to wait a while? I'm not in a super hurry, but it seems to be a sweet spot in the market in terms of featuresrice. Any reason to think it will get better? I think the cost will come down more but then you'll probably see it on backorder also. I wanted to start taking pictures with my K20D last month for a couple of events so I just went ahead and ordered, it was worth it to me to have it in hand than the possibility of saving a hundred dollars or so. That's me though, I want something, I have a hard time waiting!

Good luck with your decision, hope some of my points help you make up your mind.
06-05-2009, 01:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Any reason to wait a while? I suspect that sometime in July, prices on "gently used" K20Ds will drop as the early-adopters' pre-ordered K-7s are delivered.
06-05-2009, 04:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jmbower Quote
as for the lens, I currently have just a small set of lenses...the kit lens, a tamron 70-300mm (4-5.6), an old manual 50mm M f/1.4, a Vivitar 2x Macro-focusing teleconverter (also M), and an old Pentax 28mm f2.8 M.

SO not a lot of great glass, though the old 50mm is a sweet old thing.
So is the 28, and the 70-300 isn't too shabby either.

QuoteQuote:
I'd like to replace my kit lens with a sigma 10-20 or something equivalent, in the future.
Hmm. These lenses would seem to me to have nothing in common - like replacing a Toyota Prius with a John Deere tractor. Although if you have that for the wide end, I could the the M28/2.8 covering the "normal" range for you just fine - it pretty much does for me.

In which case, I guess I'd suggest *not* upgrading the kit lens.

06-05-2009, 08:52 PM   #8

Original Poster
MS: I should have specified...I take most of my pictures in the widest or tele ranges, not a lot in the middle. Bad photographer? probably, but just what I tend to use so the 18-55 is currently my "wide angle" lens. The 10-20 would be replacing that aspect.

Thanks for the advice all, I appreciate it.