Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2009, 05:38 AM   #16
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 55
what I fear the most about the K7 is size, I find it too small. Still, I've to handle it before deciding to purchase it.

06-06-2009, 07:01 AM   #17
Veteran Member
mickey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Japan
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,074
QuoteOriginally posted by claude21 Quote
what I fear the most about the K7 is size, I find it too small. Still, I've to handle it before deciding to purchase it.

Yes, it's small, but not K-m small.
k200 is a better guide, but the grip is chunky on the k-7 and it feels large for a small camera...
Well, that sounds strange, but you'll know what I mean when you get your hands on one.

I have a k10, and whilst I noticed the size difference, I felt that I could get used to the smaller k-7 when I tried it no problems.


edit
Thanks for the pix creampuff. Lovely selection of lenses.

Last edited by mickey; 06-06-2009 at 08:56 PM.
06-06-2009, 07:11 AM   #18
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
Original Poster
The K-7's grip bears an almost similar shape to the custom moulded one Pentax made specially for the K20D/K10D last year as it has the finger cutout.
I personally feel the replacement K20D rubber grip is even better than the stock K20D/K10D grip, so the K-7 does indeed incorporate this subtle improvement.
I think most people won't have any issues with the K-7's size or grip.
06-06-2009, 07:14 AM   #19
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: HK
Posts: 171
how's the af speed with these sdm lens? a lot faster than K20d?

06-06-2009, 07:46 AM   #20
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,218
Faster. Not a lot. No speed revolution. But SDM works better.
BUT
K-7's AF is MUCH accurate and very tenacious. No hunting. Another level of AF.
Very good in tugsten light. Very good in low light - MORE sensible.
It's hard to explain - need to try K-7. K-7 has another algorithms of AF.
It's simply different cameras in AF.

D700, for example, is not much faster than K20D in good light. But better in all another aspects. K-7 is the same.

Last edited by ogl; 06-06-2009 at 09:18 AM.
06-06-2009, 07:56 AM   #21
Veteran Member
ftpaddict's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Yurp
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,669
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I am very impressed by this thread. I am a little boosted in confidence over this k-7
You and me both. It looks like two thumbs up for the K-7.
06-06-2009, 08:00 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bronx NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,610
Dennis, Thanks...I think...for the review. I wanted the K-7 before. Now I WANT the K-7. Unfortunately this summer is going to be very bad financially. I need some car work done, 2 of my nephews are getting married, my best friend's 35th wedding anniversary is coming up. And I'm already buying lotto tix.

NaCl(is there a correspondence course on bank robbery?)H2O
06-06-2009, 08:34 AM   #23
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2007
Location: WW community of Pentax users
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,162
Creampuff,

Did you by any chance try to use manual focus?
A 100% viewfinder at 92% will give a smaller overall image.

06-06-2009, 12:11 PM   #24
Site Supporter
vagrant10's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: portland
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,353
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Dennis, Thanks...I think...for the review. I wanted the K-7 before. Now I WANT the K-7. Unfortunately this summer is going to be very bad financially. I need some car work done, 2 of my nephews are getting married, my best friend's 35th wedding anniversary is coming up. And I'm already buying lotto tix.

NaCl(is there a correspondence course on bank robbery?)H2O
I'm with you in that I WANT this camera more than ever now, but there are some financial obligations that should prevent me from getting the k7 this year. Let me know if you find that "correspondence course"!

Thank you very much Dennis for the update and sharing your opinions!
06-06-2009, 12:19 PM   #25
Veteran Member
Duck Dodgers's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: in the 24½th Century!
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 439
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
The K-7's grip bears an almost similar shape to the custom moulded one Pentax made specially for the K20D/K10D last year as it has the finger cutout.
I personally feel the replacement K20D rubber grip is even better than the stock K20D/K10D grip, so the K-7 does indeed incorporate this subtle improvement.
I think most people won't have any issues with the K-7's size or grip.
Speaking of that special grip for the K10D/K20D, does anyone know if that grip is still available from Pentax?
06-06-2009, 04:10 PM   #26
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ste-Anne des Plaines, Qc., Canada
Posts: 2,014
QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
: Let me know if you find that "correspondence course"!
All you need is to find a friendly (and comprehensive) printer. Why do you think I elected to work in that field? Just don't tell anybody.
06-06-2009, 04:16 PM   #27
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Creampuff,

Did you by any chance try to use manual focus?
A 100% viewfinder at 92% will give a smaller overall image.
To be honest I didn't even notice... because the viewfinder was a pleasure to look into... like looking into a 35mm film camera again.
I only used Quick Shift once or twice to adjust focus slightly so I won't consider that manual focusing but the viewfinder is definitely superior in terms of view and clarity. That's more important to me because I like to compose within the viewfinder and 100% view is a boon as I don't have to currently guesstimate like on my K20D or crop the unwanted stuff at the edges later during PP.
06-06-2009, 05:28 PM   #28
Veteran Member
Andi Lo's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,925
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
To be honest I didn't even notice... because the viewfinder was a pleasure to look into... like looking into a 35mm film camera again.
I only used Quick Shift once or twice to adjust focus slightly so I won't consider that manual focusing but the viewfinder is definitely superior in terms of view and clarity. That's more important to me because I like to compose within the viewfinder and 100% view is a boon as I don't have to currently guesstimate like on my K20D or crop the unwanted stuff at the edges later during PP.
Sooo I guess even with less magnification, the viewfinder actually feels nicer? That's great news
06-06-2009, 05:28 PM   #29
Veteran Member
Raybo's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 871
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
To be honest I didn't even notice... because the viewfinder was a pleasure to look into... like looking into a 35mm film camera again.
I only used Quick Shift once or twice to adjust focus slightly so I won't consider that manual focusing but the viewfinder is definitely superior in terms of view and clarity. That's more important to me because I like to compose within the viewfinder and 100% view is a boon as I don't have to currently guesstimate like on my K20D or crop the unwanted stuff at the edges later during PP.
That answered my question.

I REALLY want a nice VF for my old eyes and MF lenses!

Ray
06-06-2009, 06:30 PM   #30
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 149
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Thanks creampuff for the review.

I just have one question. Is it possible to turn off Noise Reduction when you are on a long exposure shot?
Yes, it's a custom function, as reported by JCPentax.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Creampuff,

Did you by any chance try to use manual focus?
A 100% viewfinder at 92% will give a smaller overall image.
From what I understand, even with the smaller magnification, the overall size of the viewfinder is still slightly bigger than the K10/K20, and the new viewfinder screens are supposedly brighter as well, so Pentax is saying that manual focusing is better on the K-7 than before.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
btw, camera, da*, dslr, features, k-7, k100d, k20d, moment, photography, sdm, video
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-5... Wow wow wow wow wow!! Hugely impressive. 65535 Pentax K-5 85 11-08-2010 08:45 PM
WOW!!!! whbroker Pentax DSLR Discussion 18 09-27-2010 12:36 PM
wow... Yassarian Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 1 09-19-2010 05:25 PM
WOW wandat Welcomes and Introductions 0 06-06-2007 04:12 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:39 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top