Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2009, 06:47 PM   #31
Veteran Member

It almost looks smaller than the K-M.

06-07-2009, 02:06 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
To be honest I didn't even notice... because the viewfinder was a pleasure to look into... like looking into a 35mm film camera again...
Thanks for your answer, creampuff.

QuoteOriginally posted by mutedphotos Quote
From what I understand, even with the smaller magnification, the overall size of the viewfinder is still slightly bigger than the K10/K20...
Less magnifacation & slightly bigger might cancel each other out.

It would seem that the split screen users will have to add an additional cost though
06-07-2009, 02:08 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Yes, I noticed this as well.
06-07-2009, 04:48 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
People who say they don't need or want video really need to re-examine their mindset or shed off any old prejudices because it is just a BLAST to use.
I am glad you are enthusiastic but this comment was not necessary. People who don't need video are not necessarily prejudiced; they might just have different priorities or interests from yourself. It's not that difficult to understand.

For those that are into video I've written an article on Capturing Sound that might help.

06-07-2009, 05:10 AM   #35
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
its not. not a lot bigger, but its bigger.
06-07-2009, 05:45 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I am glad you are enthusiastic but this comment was not necessary. People who don't need video are not necessarily prejudiced; they might just have different priorities or interests from yourself. It's not that difficult to understand.
Suddenly I got a nanny to tell me what I can comment on...
Wonder why you're taking umbrage? Was this a sore point for you?

There are still people who can't buy into the idea that there ought to be video and who reason that having that capability in a camera somehow dilutes that photographic ideal of taking still images.
In this era of digital convergence, we all need to be open to new creative opportunities that technology offers.
06-07-2009, 05:57 AM   #37
Banned

There are still people who can't buy into the idea that there ought to be video and who reason that having that capability in a camera somehow dilutes that photographic ideal of taking still images.
In this era of digital convergence, we all need to be open to new creative opportunities that technology offers.

I have been against video in a DSLR since the first ones started showing up with it, but I have to admit.. being able to shoot video with a takumar lens sounds pretty neat. it wont be the reason I purchase a k-7, but I will be looking forward to it none the less.

06-07-2009, 07:44 AM   #38
Pentaxian

<sarcasm> I take umbrage at the whole "back LCD display" idea!

My rant is that Pentax is wasting their time and technology on this "crutch" for people who cannot simply wait until later to see their shots or adjust their settings with the top panel and a few dials! We did that not too long ago in the "film days" so why this pointless "feature" of a 3" VGA LCD!!?!! </sarcasm>

Ignore the umbrage. Some people can't look on the sunny side of $1,000,000.00!
06-07-2009, 07:48 AM   #39
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
<sarcasm> I take umbrage at the whole "back LCD display" idea!

My rant is that Pentax is wasting their time and technology on this "crutch" for people who cannot simply wait until later to see their shots or adjust their settings with the top panel and a few dials! We did that not too long ago in the "film days" so why this pointless "feature" of a 3" VGA LCD!!?!! </sarcasm>

Ignore the umbrage. Some people can't look on the sunny side of $1,000,000.00!
personally I do in fact find the back LCD useless. I almost never use mine other than for changing settings. I have had the review function turned off ever since I first got my K110D. it will be turned off when I get a K-7.
06-07-2009, 08:05 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Agreed. Review function turned off here, too. Can't get rid of the rear display, though...computerized cameras are virtually impossible to operate to their full potential without menus nowadays.
06-07-2009, 08:51 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I explained myself well enough the first time. Apparently it's ok for you to post your opinion but if I post mine you call me names. Obviously you're just looking for a fight. Sorry, won't give you one. I'm gone after this post.

Still no reason to slag those who want a camera to be first and foremost a camera.
06-07-2009, 09:00 AM   #42
Veteran Member

I also thought video was unnecessary on a DSLR, but after seeing what can be done and then dreaming about the artistic and technical possibilities (video is just so much more difficult to get right than photos), I'm quite excited. I think its inexorable that video will start to show up on pretty much all DSLRs...
06-07-2009, 09:03 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Well, I think there's plenty of us out here who didn't care much whether or not Pentax put its resources toward developing video capability, especially if it brought the price up, or caused compromises elsewhere. Looks like it isn't getting in the *way,* so, well, that's fine.

If I get hold of a K-7 down the road, I might even use that feature but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.
06-07-2009, 09:26 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
personally I do in fact find the back LCD useless. I almost never use mine other than for changing settings. I have had the review function turned off ever since I first got my K110D. it will be turned off when I get a K-7.

Seriously? I have auto-preview turned off, but I often manually bring up one out of every couple shots just to make sure exposure and sometimes DOF is what I expected.

With M lenses, I always do this - green button is nice, but I gotta be sure.

Isn't ignoring the back LCD completely giving up one of the advantages digital has over film?

06-07-2009, 09:34 AM   #45

I try to look at HD in DSRL this way:
HD probably means that more people will buy the camera. And that probably means that the R&D cost pr produced unit will be lower. So despite my lack of need (as if thats something wrong) I don't mind HD in a new DSRL.

BTW. Most people seem to "need" Coca Cola. I don't. I honestly think I can live a perfectly happy life without that need.