Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2009, 04:56 PM   #76
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 975
food for thought

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I shoot nearly everything in digital with an eye for B&W. I try to envision the shot in B&W. I use B&W film. my method of photography is perfectly fine for this. im no ansel adams. but then who is? my passion in photography leans heavily toward the journalistic side. if I could go back about ten years I would have gotten started in highschool and hopefully gone to college to pursue it. I approach photography from a jornalistic point of view. and as such the attention to detail in regards to colour and exposure arent nearly as important as they are to say a wedding photographer.
i'm not sure what you shoot, but if it's a k20d, k10d, or even k200d (i think), here is something to think about: i used to be a b&w shooter too, and i still enjoy it (though not as often as i should, lately), here is how i use the back lcd for that: set your camera to monochrome (digital filters or something, on the k20d, at least, i think it is the ok button after pressing fn), and keep shooting raw (i gather you do), your previews, (and the embedded jpeg in the raw) will be monochrome, with the settings you chose, you can fine tune those settings to get a preview on the back lcd to look very close to how you would process to b&w in your raw processing software.

i personally love it, i know "real b&w photographers don't need that", but i find it brilliant for shooting b&w, helps a lot to envision the shot in b&w, as you said, and it sure as hell beats those (silly) yellow/greenish filters we used to have "back in the days" (i know you must know them). try it, you might even like it

hope this helps

thanks for the thoughts creampuff

--
nanok_i_don't_need_k-7_idontneedk7_idontneedk7_idon...

06-08-2009, 05:22 PM   #77
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
i'm not sure what you shoot, but if it's a k20d, k10d, or even k200d (i think), here is something to think about: i used to be a b&w shooter too, and i still enjoy it (though not as often as i should, lately), here is how i use the back lcd for that: set your camera to monochrome (digital filters or something, on the k20d, at least, i think it is the ok button after pressing fn), and keep shooting raw (i gather you do), your previews, (and the embedded jpeg in the raw) will be monochrome, with the settings you chose, you can fine tune those settings to get a preview on the back lcd to look very close to how you would process to b&w in your raw processing software.

i personally love it, i know "real b&w photographers don't need that", but i find it brilliant for shooting b&w, helps a lot to envision the shot in b&w, as you said, and it sure as hell beats those (silly) yellow/greenish filters we used to have "back in the days" (i know you must know them). try it, you might even like it

hope this helps

thanks for the thoughts creampuff

--
nanok_i_don't_need_k-7_idontneedk7_idontneedk7_idon...
I was using a K110D, currently using a K-m (will be using a K-7) interesting idea, but again, I wouldn't find it especially useful. I can see what my shot will look like (lots of practice) in my mind, and again I trust my lightmeter and my abilities as far as exposure and focus go. not sure why people cling to that LCD screen so much. personally (not taking into consideration usefulness or not to the individual user) I find that not stopping and checking my screen after every shot to be a much more enjoyable experience. much more fluid and I never feel like I will miss a shot, looking at the shot I just took. it just really has no real usefulness for me. its also a bit bothersome that so many people just cant seem to understand or accept the idea that I dont find it useful. im not even the only one in this thread to say it.
06-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #78
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
i'm not sure what you shoot, but if it's a k20d, k10d, or even k200d (i think), here is something to think about: i used to be a b&w shooter too, and i still enjoy it (though not as often as i should, lately), here is how i use the back lcd for that: set your camera to monochrome (digital filters or something, on the k20d, at least, i think it is the ok button after pressing fn), and keep shooting raw (i gather you do), your previews, (and the embedded jpeg in the raw) will be monochrome, with the settings you chose, you can fine tune those settings to get a preview on the back lcd to look very close to how you would process to b&w in your raw processing software.

i personally love it, i know "real b&w photographers don't need that", but i find it brilliant for shooting b&w, helps a lot to envision the shot in b&w, as you said, and it sure as hell beats those (silly) yellow/greenish filters we used to have "back in the days" (i know you must know them). try it, you might even like it

hope this helps

thanks for the thoughts creampuff

--
nanok_i_don't_need_k-7_idontneedk7_idontneedk7_idon...
Your method is one that I occasionally use and one that works well.
In fact a good friend of mine who won last Year's Singapore Young Photographer Award used this exact method for these images:

ClubSNAP Photography Forums - View Single Post - Please share your photos by a Pentax camera here IV

The K-7 is indeed a unique camera.
The ushering in of VIDEO as a new feature brings forth a mini clash of civilizations debate on what now constitutes photography today. It happens with other brands, and it is happening among Pentax users. A pivotal issue because many Pentax users have big investments in legacy gear.

Is our understanding of photography merely to be capturing a still image or with the K-7... capturing images, continuous ones at that. What is the distinction between a single image, 5.2 fps or 30 fps video? They all are elements of time, an essential component of exposure and image capture.

The point is there are photographers out there who dogmatically adopt a narrow approach to method and philosophy of what photography means. As one who has shot for decades, a danger for an old bird like me (and a trait that I see in some of my older photo buddies) is to be set in my ways without even making the effort to adopt new or best practices that come with new technology. For many, the to "stick with what works" and "why fix it if it ain't broke", " this has worked for me for years" approach keeps us safely ensconced into our comfort zone. This isn't wrong per se, but as I see it, it can lead to several outcomes.

- For the pro or serious hobbyist, things can get formulaic - doing the same thing over and over... it becomes a routine... same style, same subjects, same method, same poses, same lighting... you get the point.

- The danger that one can get overwhelmed or intimidated by technology that one retreats or becomes "locked in time" - harking to the good old days. Sure some photo principle don't change but to me that's a killer for creativity... I see it in my old photo buddies and in my profession as a print specialist... young guys doing a lot more new stuff quicker because they readily embrace new ways of doing things with quicker and often superior results. Case in point is B&W conversions... Channel Mixer was the go to method several years back but now the B&W tools in Lightroom and Photoshop give even finer and precise control of tones... but there are purists who still espouse Channel Mixer as the best method.

Just a friendly sharing of opinion... please read with an open mind and don't flame me...
06-08-2009, 08:02 PM   #79
Veteran Member
frank's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,202
Hey Denis, didn't see your post until today

I've been using the K-7 for several days, what a great little camera. I'm gonna post my own quick review very soon

06-09-2009, 05:06 AM   #80
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 36
Nice review man...if the video quality is decent enough, it is definitely a useful feature.
06-11-2009, 02:42 PM   #81
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 184
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Is our understanding of photography merely to be capturing a still image or with the K-7... capturing images, continuous ones at that. What is the distinction between a single image, 5.2 fps or 30 fps video? They all are elements of time, an essential component of exposure and image capture.

The point is there are photographers out there who dogmatically adopt a narrow approach to method and philosophy of what photography means.
I'm not against video in a DSLR, and I agree that it should be embraced as the way of the future, but I think you're taking it a step too far in your arguments. There is certainly a difference between still photography and video. Many elements of composition will carry over from one to the other, but there are unique considerations for both that make them significantly different from each other. Both are worthy pursuits in their own right and shouldn't be marginalized by treating them as one and the same. The day that the only way to get still shots is to pick one out of a video clip is the day still photography dies. There is a distinction and it's worth making.

And although I'm not against video in a DSLR, I do understand and sympathize with the viewpoint of those wanting video capabilities to remain separate. These are two different disciplines that require different skills and handling techniques that not all people will be able or want to deal with. And a feature as big as video couldn't have been easy or quick to implement, which means less resources for still photography related features.

A belated thanks from me for the report on the K-7. I've been internet-less for a few days, so it's nice to plug back in and find a good first impressions report.
06-11-2009, 03:47 PM   #82
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Yohan Pamudji Quote
The day that the only way to get still shots is to pick one out of a video clip is the day still photography dies.
Thanks for your thoughts Yohan, but that day you speak off has already arrived quite some time back, just that most of us don't know or realize it.
Everyday, millions of people in the world shoot wonderful and varied images with their point and shoot digital cameras or DSLRs with Live View.
What they are doing is essentially what you say... they are looking at a continuous real time image (in effect a video image) on the rear LCD of the camera and taking a still image at the appropriate moment.
That's why it is dead easy for digital PnS cameras to have a movie clip function because they are in effect simplified video cameras. That same technology is now in our mobile phones with cameras, something most of us take for granted and we don't even bat an eyelid over it. For the millions using these cameras everyday, that's photography, and they are none the wiser over this so minor debate because these cameras do what they have been designed to do... to capture images and memories.

Last edited by creampuff; 06-11-2009 at 04:02 PM. Reason: spelling
06-11-2009, 04:47 PM   #83
Veteran Member
KungPOW's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,702
wow.

Photography is dead.

dam.

06-12-2009, 07:11 AM   #84
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Brie Comte Robert, France
Posts: 13
Hi Creampuff,

I m a newbie on this website. Then Hello for everyone from France!!!

Now, my question that has nos relation with the K7 is:
The silver FA 31mm Limited lens mounted on the K7 is showed with an additional lens hood.
Someone could tell me what is it exactly? With that, the lens gets a terrible looking.

And how to get it?
Best regards
06-12-2009, 09:03 AM   #85
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
Original Poster
Alphonse, that's a Heliopan metal screw-in lens hood. Just a little more added protection. Lens is not mine...
06-12-2009, 11:28 PM   #86
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vilcabamba, Loja
Posts: 216
Mjpeg

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Having video capability doesn't make the K-7 any less of a camera...
its photographic capability and quality has not been compromised in any way imo.
Look up MJPEG on Wikipedia. It's simply just a series of low-resolution JPEGs streamed together in a single file. If Pentax had used a different codec, then it would have been a problem for me. But MJPEG, it's basically a free inclusion. I bet it costs more to add the audio (because of the jack), then the video.
06-12-2009, 11:30 PM   #87
and
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,471
Yes mjpeg is a popular choice also because the camera already has hardware support to encode jpegs so you can use that same hardware. not the case if you want h264 etc.
06-13-2009, 05:27 AM   #88
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
Original Poster
Well today the new Pentax distributor where I'm at had a booth for Pentax and Sanyo products (they are also the local agents for Sanyo) at a wake boarding competition.
Well the K-7 was on show for Pentax and other users to try out...

Simply put, the K20D could barely keep up with the action capturing the wake boarders... whereas the K-7 on AF-C managed to lock-on and track the wake boarders with ease.
Hands down a lot more keepers with the K-7. Almost without exception every Pentax user present was just amazed by how quiet the shutter is, the improved responsiveness over the K20D (most were K20D users with top glass) and how useful and fun 5.2 fps is in capturing the action. The funny thing was a good friend who's a seasoned Pentax K20D and Nikon user who was initially skeptical of the K-7's AF arising from past Pentax cameras, was suitably impressed after just a few minutes of testing to liken the AF to be as quick as the D700.

Using the DA 55-300mm on my K20D, there is a tendency for the AF to occasionally hunt with this lens, in part due to the long focus throw. On the K-7, this lens barely hunts which says a lot about the improvement in AF.
If you're looking to shoot plenty of action or fast movement, better get the K-7 imo.
06-13-2009, 06:15 AM   #89
Veteran Member
nulla's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 1,560
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Well today the new Pentax distributor where I'm at had a booth for Pentax and Sanyo products (they are also the local agents for Sanyo) at a wake boarding competition.
Well the K-7 was on show for Pentax and other users to try out...

Simply put, the K20D could barely keep up with the action capturing the wake boarders... whereas the K-7 on AF-C managed to lock-on and track the wake boarders with ease.
Hands down a lot more keepers with the K-7. Almost without exception every Pentax user present was just amazed by how quiet the shutter is, the improved responsiveness over the K20D (most were K20D users with top glass) and how useful and fun 5.2 fps is in capturing the action. The funny thing was a good friend who's a seasoned Pentax K20D and Nikon user who was initially skeptical of the K-7's AF arising from past Pentax cameras, was suitably impressed after just a few minutes of testing to liken the AF to be as quick as the D700.

Using the DA 55-300mm on my K20D, there is a tendency for the AF to occasionally hunt with this lens, in part due to the long focus throw. On the K-7, this lens barely hunts which says a lot about the improvement in AF.
If you're looking to shoot plenty of action or fast movement, better get the K-7 imo.
Very impressive post... thanks for the heads up.

and just by chance my 55-300mm was really hunting today during a bird shoot and I was hoping for the above news

This makes my wait for delivery worth the while.

By the way you mentioned some people there with top glass... what were their impressions in comparison when using the glass with the K-7 if they did so?
I am really looking forward to seeing some results myself with my FA limiteds and also DA* zooms


cheers

Neil
06-13-2009, 06:42 AM   #90
and
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,471
Nice to hear more positive reports. Am interested in hearing the shutter myself, in the videos I have seen it seems quieter but not THAT silent like several people have reported, I guess you just have to hear it in person to be able to make up your own judgement.

5.2fps is great, here is hoping pentax continues the thrend of upgrading basic specs, they seem too slow to do this, we had 3fps forever. Make the next camera at least 6fps or even more. And add more focus points.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
btw, camera, da*, dslr, features, k-7, k100d, k20d, moment, photography, sdm, video
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-5... Wow wow wow wow wow!! Hugely impressive. 65535 Pentax K-5 85 11-08-2010 08:45 PM
WOW!!!! whbroker Pentax DSLR Discussion 18 09-27-2010 12:36 PM
wow... Yassarian Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 1 09-19-2010 05:25 PM
WOW wandat Welcomes and Introductions 0 06-06-2007 04:12 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:43 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top