Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2009, 12:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-7 First impressions... wow!

Met with a few friends today and managed to play around with the new K-7, making it's first appearance in Singapore.
Thanks to Mark and Frank for showing up with the K-7s.
In a word... it is simply the best Pentax DSLR made to date.
I've gone through the K100D, K100D Super, K10D and my current K20D but the K-7 beats them all. Definitely much, much improved over the K20D.

If the K20D's ergonomics is very good, the K-7 handles a little better. The camera feels very solid yet is lighter than the K20D and not much bigger than the K-m.
To me at least I can discern the weight difference compared to the K20D. Overall balance is very good.

Button layout is very good and intuitive. No problems figuring out and using. There's plenty in the menu but this camera definitely packs a lots of features.
The two most obvious features that stand out that in itself is reason to upgrade is the excellent 100% viewfinder and just how silent the camera is both with SDM and conventional screw-drive lenses.
The shutter is really Leica-like silent and inaudible to the other diners at the next table. The camera's exposure metering is top notch (read better than K20D), images are great even at high ISO and no issues with the AF (at least for me).

The most fun feature has got to be VIDEO. People who say they don't need or want video really need to re-examine their mindset or shed off any old prejudices because it is just a BLAST to use.
I dare say video is going to open up even more creative opportunities for the user and I envisage a lot more convergence with still photography.
One can shoot stealthily one moment and the next moment involve the subject with a quick video... just great for kids and candids, etc...
Btw the K-7 battery life is reported to be even better than the already good K20D.

All I can say is K20D/K10D users who are unsure whether to upgrade... just do it! Trust me, you will love this camera. It is that good.
BTW the DA* 60-250mm SDM is also a winner. Very sharp wide open, pretty light and I think an even more versatile lens compared to the DA* 50-135mm.
May even undercut sales for the DA* 300mm too.

Last edited by creampuff; 06-06-2009 at 04:50 PM. Reason: spelling
06-06-2009, 01:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dennis, thanks for a great review of the K-7. Makes me want to get one . . .
06-06-2009, 01:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Lucky guy! It's already in Singapore!!!!
06-06-2009, 01:26 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pre-production units only . . .

06-06-2009, 01:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

That 31 seems to mesh perfectly with it.......I've been hanging off for so long now due to the price...but I've ordered the K-7....seems like the 31 is a non-optional upgrade
06-06-2009, 01:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks for a great report and wonderful shots.

I have already placed an order for the k-7 and I drool when I see shots of the FA limiteds on board.

Cannot wait... and yes also agree about the video, I think it will be a great learning curve for many to incoporate it into things such as special events.

Neil
06-06-2009, 01:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
To add, the new weather resistant kit lens has also a nice tight, solid and secure feeling. Definitely feels much better than the existing non-WR versions.

Anyway, pre-production or not, the K-7 image quality is really good.
It really is a pro-camera in a compact form factor.

06-06-2009, 02:00 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Nice! Tell me, creampuff, is the shutter release smooth all the way to the bottom or do I have to squeeze the button a bit more to make it click after half-way position?
06-06-2009, 02:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Maffer Quote
Nice! Tell me, creampuff, is the shutter release smooth all the way to the bottom or do I have to squeeze the button a bit more to make it click after half-way position?
There is a half-way press to activate the camera first before the shutter is released, just like K20D. The one thing that will bring a smile or surprise is just how quiet the shutter is.
A very nice damped release that is uber quiet, as if the camera is enclosed in a blimp case... so much like a Leica.
06-06-2009, 02:25 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Ah, thanks! I hoped for smooth triggering, but it's not that big deal. Would have gone *so* nicely with super quiet shutter.
06-06-2009, 02:32 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I am very impressed by this thread. I am a little boosted in confidence over this k-7
06-06-2009, 02:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Sounds great, but I never have a problem autofocus, high ISO or metering on my K20D so I fail to see how it can be "much better". Additionally, people are proclaiming that it's the best Pentax DSLR to date - how many of said people have compared the image quality of a production model K7 to a K20D (and I mean full size TIFFs)?

If someone can point me in the direction of a review + test shot comparison website then I will quite happily give that a thorough read and make my mind up from there .
06-06-2009, 03:04 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks creampuff for the review.

I just have one question. Is it possible to turn off Noise Reduction when you are on a long exposure shot?
06-06-2009, 03:40 AM   #14

K-7 is almost same size like K200D. That's good - not too big, not too small :3
06-06-2009, 04:15 AM   #15
and
Veteran Member

Looks very nice, nice shots. lots of good glass there too . thanks for the report