Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2009, 05:38 AM   #16
Forum Member

what I fear the most about the K7 is size, I find it too small. Still, I've to handle it before deciding to purchase it.

06-06-2009, 07:01 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by claude21 Quote
what I fear the most about the K7 is size, I find it too small. Still, I've to handle it before deciding to purchase it.

Yes, it's small, but not K-m small.
k200 is a better guide, but the grip is chunky on the k-7 and it feels large for a small camera...
Well, that sounds strange, but you'll know what I mean when you get your hands on one.

I have a k10, and whilst I noticed the size difference, I felt that I could get used to the smaller k-7 when I tried it no problems.

edit
Thanks for the pix creampuff. Lovely selection of lenses.

Last edited by mickey; 06-06-2009 at 08:56 PM.
06-06-2009, 07:11 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The K-7's grip bears an almost similar shape to the custom moulded one Pentax made specially for the K20D/K10D last year as it has the finger cutout.
I personally feel the replacement K20D rubber grip is even better than the stock K20D/K10D grip, so the K-7 does indeed incorporate this subtle improvement.
I think most people won't have any issues with the K-7's size or grip.
06-06-2009, 07:14 AM   #19

how's the af speed with these sdm lens? a lot faster than K20d?

06-06-2009, 07:46 AM   #20
ogl
Banned

Faster. Not a lot. No speed revolution. But SDM works better.
BUT
K-7's AF is MUCH accurate and very tenacious. No hunting. Another level of AF.
Very good in tugsten light. Very good in low light - MORE sensible.
It's hard to explain - need to try K-7. K-7 has another algorithms of AF.
It's simply different cameras in AF.

D700, for example, is not much faster than K20D in good light. But better in all another aspects. K-7 is the same.

Last edited by ogl; 06-06-2009 at 09:18 AM.
06-06-2009, 07:56 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I am very impressed by this thread. I am a little boosted in confidence over this k-7
You and me both. It looks like two thumbs up for the K-7.
06-06-2009, 08:00 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dennis, Thanks...I think...for the review. I wanted the K-7 before. Now I WANT the K-7. Unfortunately this summer is going to be very bad financially. I need some car work done, 2 of my nephews are getting married, my best friend's 35th wedding anniversary is coming up. And I'm already buying lotto tix.

NaCl(is there a correspondence course on bank robbery?)H2O

06-06-2009, 08:34 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Creampuff,

Did you by any chance try to use manual focus?
A 100% viewfinder at 92% will give a smaller overall image.
06-06-2009, 12:11 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Dennis, Thanks...I think...for the review. I wanted the K-7 before. Now I WANT the K-7. Unfortunately this summer is going to be very bad financially. I need some car work done, 2 of my nephews are getting married, my best friend's 35th wedding anniversary is coming up. And I'm already buying lotto tix.

NaCl(is there a correspondence course on bank robbery?)H2O
I'm with you in that I WANT this camera more than ever now, but there are some financial obligations that should prevent me from getting the k7 this year. Let me know if you find that "correspondence course"!

Thank you very much Dennis for the update and sharing your opinions!
06-06-2009, 12:19 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
The K-7's grip bears an almost similar shape to the custom moulded one Pentax made specially for the K20D/K10D last year as it has the finger cutout.
I personally feel the replacement K20D rubber grip is even better than the stock K20D/K10D grip, so the K-7 does indeed incorporate this subtle improvement.
I think most people won't have any issues with the K-7's size or grip.
Speaking of that special grip for the K10D/K20D, does anyone know if that grip is still available from Pentax?
06-06-2009, 04:10 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
: Let me know if you find that "correspondence course"!
All you need is to find a friendly (and comprehensive) printer. Why do you think I elected to work in that field? Just don't tell anybody.
06-06-2009, 04:16 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Creampuff,

To be honest I didn't even notice... because the viewfinder was a pleasure to look into... like looking into a 35mm film camera again.
I only used Quick Shift once or twice to adjust focus slightly so I won't consider that manual focusing but the viewfinder is definitely superior in terms of view and clarity. That's more important to me because I like to compose within the viewfinder and 100% view is a boon as I don't have to currently guesstimate like on my K20D or crop the unwanted stuff at the edges later during PP.
06-06-2009, 05:28 PM   #28
Veteran Member

To be honest I didn't even notice... because the viewfinder was a pleasure to look into... like looking into a 35mm film camera again.
I only used Quick Shift once or twice to adjust focus slightly so I won't consider that manual focusing but the viewfinder is definitely superior in terms of view and clarity. That's more important to me because I like to compose within the viewfinder and 100% view is a boon as I don't have to currently guesstimate like on my K20D or crop the unwanted stuff at the edges later during PP.
Sooo I guess even with less magnification, the viewfinder actually feels nicer? That's great news
06-06-2009, 05:28 PM   #29
Veteran Member

That answered my question.

I REALLY want a nice VF for my old eyes and MF lenses!

Ray
06-06-2009, 06:30 PM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Thanks creampuff for the review.

I just have one question. Is it possible to turn off Noise Reduction when you are on a long exposure shot?
Yes, it's a custom function, as reported by JCPentax.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Creampuff,

From what I understand, even with the smaller magnification, the overall size of the viewfinder is still slightly bigger than the K10/K20, and the new viewfinder screens are supposedly brighter as well, so Pentax is saying that manual focusing is better on the K-7 than before.