Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2009, 02:57 PM   #106

Photos: Gallery
Random curiosity:

Does it use the same battery as the K10D?

I think I need a K7. I just widh they'd included the capability to real-time georeferencing images.

06-15-2009, 04:35 PM   #107
Inactive Account

Battery & GPS

QuoteOriginally posted by Rick Quote
Does it use the same battery as the K10D?
I think I need a K7. I just widh they'd included the capability to real-time georeferencing images.
Different battery.

I have had a number of non-dedicated GPS units. They all had problems. With a dedicated unit, it never loses signal, and there area whole raft of neato features that would never be in a camera's unit. Synching is easy enough, as long as you remember to keep the clocks synchronized, and turn the thing on!
06-15-2009, 06:42 PM   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lawsonstone Quote
On a completely different point: what that I see that seems inserted inside your FA 31mm Ltd? Something seems to be sticking out from under the lens hood.

Just my curiousity!
It's a short lens metal hood from Heliopan, or you can call it a filter extender too
06-16-2009, 01:55 AM   #109

We have had a healthy 'video in a DSLR debate' over at the UK forums where I am posting my initials findings of the K-7

Please feel welcome to go and have a look here, but I thought I would copy / paste a couple of posts here to give you my view!

QuoteQuote:
LOL, this whole 'buy a video camera' is really getting a bit tedious for me, I do know that I am in a unique position to comment, but it just seems that some people will just never get it.

If you are going to buy a K-7, you will primarily buy it for it's stills performance and feature set, and it is worth it for the price. Well done, good purchase. Then if you are going to buy a camcorder, how much would this lot cost you, wether it's price or inconvenience?

Full control of aperture for depth of field
Interchangeable lenses from F1.4 to fisheye all of them stabilised!
High Definition 720P recording with excellent quality Pentax glass
Use the same batteries as your DSLR
Use the same memory cards as your DSLR
Take up no extra space or weight in your camera bag, just the one device
Be in your hands, turned on, ready to go at all times when you are shooting stills

All in a package smaller than your current K10 / K20.

Then the killer punch, you get all that, and more FOR FREE! Why on earth would I want to buy a video camera when I get all that for free with my K-7 FOR FREE? What extra benefit would I get? I repeat, a HD interchangeable lens camcorder FOR FREE!

I have a camcorder, I don't know where it is. Like Mike, it's probably done 30 mins of shooting in 5 years. The key word here is CONVENIENCE, and if you are primarily a stills shooter there is no camcorder in the world that is more convenient to you than your DSLR, in your hands, turned on and ready to use NOW.

Of course, if you want a lot of inconvenience, and a lack of creative control, want to carry around 2 complete kits around just in case, get a bigger camera bag or carry 2 with a lot more weight, don't want to change lenses, have batteries that are incompatible with each other, get a camcorder.

QuoteQuote:
The K-7 has a lower RRP than, for example, the D300. It is of similar, if not higher specification, and the D300 does not have video. Thats one example why I say 'it's for free'. I know it costs, I'm not that daft, but if none of the competitors would have added video, then we would have a video free K-7 at I bet the same price!

I don't mind carrying my kit, just check my signature, but why add to it when I don't have to?

Why would I want an X70? Again, check my signature. Defeats the whole purpose of a DSLR!

Here's an example from Sunday, Whipsnade Zoo, driving round the safari section, so not allowed to get out of the car. I was shooting the deer at the far end of the DA*60-250:-

All very nice, we were the only ones in there, very peaceful. We have good and funny memories of that, why? Because at the flick of a switch, we got this :-

(Please ignore the rushed crappy photo last night, I'm not allowed to post video, or I would! It's purely for trying to make a point!)

Thing is, even if we would have had a video camera on us, I would have missed it. You may not see the point, it may not even occur to you, but when you have one in your hands, it's just there, in high quality, weather sealed, depth of field.............