Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2007, 11:21 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It was misrepresented. Not by the manufacturer, but by the guy who sold it to you on eBay.

Take a look at the info on the manufacturer's website and you'll discover that nowhere do they claim the unit is P-TTL compatible. That's just something the seller put in the ad either out of ignorance or underhandedness.

You have a legitimate complaint against the seller.

Sakar International Inc

04-29-2007, 06:17 PM   #17
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Complaint filed

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
It was misrepresented. Not by the manufacturer, but by the guy who sold it to you on eBay.

Take a look at the info on the manufacturer's website and you'll discover that nowhere do they claim the unit is P-TTL compatible. That's just something the seller put in the ad either out of ignorance or underhandedness.

You have a legitimate complaint against the seller.

Sakar International Inc
Thanks for all your input. I do believe the product was misrepresented, not only by the eBay ad (and there are a few current ads available for the flashgun with the same claim - eBay seller vcc113), but by the sellers themselves who confirmed it on an email sent to me.

I tried the flash out again this weekend, being hopeful I could try and 'work it out' but the results were so inconsistent it was just not worth using it at all - totally bleached in some shots, totally underexposed in others. Something fishy would be going on if that's what you call P-TTL.

I've filed a complaint to eBay as they are now not responding to any of my emails to settle the matter. I'll post an update on this as it develops.

Last edited by Ash; 04-29-2007 at 06:22 PM.
04-29-2007, 11:21 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Wait....P-TTL is a Pentax term? I thought it was just "Program TTL metering" and that it applied to all flash units that communicate to a certain degree with the camera.
04-30-2007, 04:54 PM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Wait....P-TTL is a Pentax term? I thought it was just "Program TTL metering" and that it applied to all flash units that communicate to a certain degree with the camera.
Google it. You will only find the term in reference to Pentax flashes which implement the preflash feature. I think Nikon calls theirs "iTTL" and Canon has some other term for it.

04-30-2007, 06:19 PM   #20
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbarnhart Quote
Google it. You will only find the term in reference to Pentax flashes which implement the preflash feature. I think Nikon calls theirs "iTTL" and Canon has some other term for it.
I too looked into that to make sure I had a legitimate case on this flash. Each camera manufacturer does have their own automated TTL brand name: P-TTL is Pentax's, I-TTL is Nikon's and E-TTL and E-TTL II are Canon's.

They all describe the same thing: the camera and flash unit communicate with each other to decide flash intensity. This is done using a pre-flash to determine the correct exposure for the shot with the flash proper for when the shutter is released.

So no pre-flash, no P-TTL... Perhaps TTL, or auto, but not P-TTL. The flash in question: no pre-flash - so definitely not P-TTL.
05-01-2007, 06:07 AM   #21
Veteran Member

If the one you got is the same one I saw on the manufacturer's site, it says clearly on the package: "TTL"......not "P-TTL"

"TTL" + "For Pentax" does not equal "P-TTL".

And, let's face it, the flash may be a perfectly fine TTL flash, but that company hardly gives one the impression of an outfit that went to the trouble of reverse engineering to figure out how to make a P-TTL flash unit.
05-01-2007, 06:01 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Similar exposure issues w/ Sigma EF-500 DG ST Flash

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Anyone else had P-TTL flash problems with bounce? I'd like to be able to master this skill and any input would be greatly appreciated!
Yes, I'm having similar issues with my Sigma EF-500 DG ST flash unit. But, in my case, bounced pictures are somewhat over-exposed while pictures using direct flash are just fine (exposure wise, not appearance). Bounce using some type of diffuser results in even greater over-exposure, these often entirely unusable.

The over-exposure is very unpredictable, based on surroundings, surface, distance to subject, and so on. As such, it is going to be very difficult to tune this out using exposure or flash compensation.

Everything else with this flash unit works as advertised. The lack of high-speed sync with the Pentax was a sacrifice, but not an unsurmountable one. But the constant over-exposure with bounce flash is something I will have to resolve.

stewart
05-02-2007, 06:30 AM   #23
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
TTL vs P-TTL

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
If the one you got is the same one I saw on the manufacturer's site, it says clearly on the package: "TTL"......not "P-TTL"

"TTL" + "For Pentax" does not equal "P-TTL".

And, let's face it, the flash may be a perfectly fine TTL flash, but that company hardly gives one the impression of an outfit that went to the trouble of reverse engineering to figure out how to make a P-TTL flash unit.
Mike, the flash would probably be fine IF it had some manually adjustable features. The only reaon I did buy it was because of the P-TTL claim - i.e. I would essentially not have to adjust anything for a well exposed image. The pre-flash analysis would have taken care of that - direct or bounce.

But woe is me, flash has NO other settings other than first and second curtain slow sync. Means nothing to me when I can't adjust how it behaves - and it's pretty erratic in the least - really not worth a fraction of what I bought it for. Maybe useful as a TTL flash on the *ist D or MZ-60 models etc., but K100D is not good with TTL flashes.

Will press on...

Stuart, the Sigma flashes are famed to be excellent alternatives to the Pentax counterparts. They SHOULD be P-TTL or you have the non-updated model, which Sigma should fix for you. Otherwise, I would have expected exposure to be adequate for most shots you take, even with bounce. Let us know how you go with it...

05-02-2007, 08:50 PM   #24

maybe the meant the flash was a pre ttl unit

If you throw an optical slave on it, or does it have one built in, you could use it as a secondary fill light or back light if you end up stuck with it.
05-03-2007, 02:34 PM   #25
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jnorth Quote
If you throw an optical slave on it, or does it have one built in, you could use it as a secondary fill light or back light if you end up stuck with it.
Actually, this won't work either. The problem is that you'll be slaving it to your camera onboard flash, which IS P-TTL. The preflash will trigger the optical slave, unless you get one that is tuned to ignore preflash. (They do exist, but are more expensive, of course.)
05-13-2007, 11:51 PM   #26
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update: Vendor that sold me falsified flash folded - they've replied with a one liner: "send us the flash back for a refund". Tail between their legs...
02-17-2008, 09:07 AM   #27

Will the digital concepts 952 AF model be better?

Has anyone tried this?

Tasha
02-17-2008, 01:21 PM   #28
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Tasha,
I'd try to stay away from these flashes - even if they're sooo enticing with their cheap price.
Just not worth the headaches.
The 952AF could well be better, but again, not P-TTL as far as I know.
If you're willing to buy it to find out, please let us know how how go with it. I'm very interested to hear another user's opinion of it as a P-TTL flash.
For me, since my first post in this thread, I've learnt that the Pentax 540 flash simply has no rival, so it's well worth the investment.
02-17-2008, 01:54 PM   #29
krs
Site Supporter

I have the Promaster 7500DX External Flash, and have had reasonable success with bounce. It is not a "cheap" flash, and has a very good guide number (138), so I went with it rather than the Pentax option.

I actually bought the flash for the K100D. I just went to the Promaster website, and they indicate the flash is for any pentax digital EXCEPT for the K10D. I have used it on both the K100D and the K10D with reasonable results. It is curious that they would call out the K10D as an exception, given how close it is in some ways to the K100D....