Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2007, 11:46 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Good to know. Do you by any chance have a link to a store where I can buy those really tiny, SD-card sized slices of bread?

Will
Go to your local Catholic Church and ask for "Body of Christ".

04-26-2007, 01:25 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Will RA work with the k100d?
04-26-2007, 03:35 PM   #18
Inactive Account

I swear that I ran Pentax Remote Assistant 3 accidentally before updating the firmware and it appeared to work. Maybe someone could try this before upgrading their firmware to make sure I wasn't hallucinating?
04-26-2007, 04:20 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Well, anyone tried installing this and see if VPN/HPN still exists? Maybe they just didn't want to acknowledge the existence of it, but they fixed it still.

I don't mind that manufacturers don't post all the fixes in their updates, as long as they fix issues that are raised up by consumers.

04-26-2007, 04:51 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mutley Quote
Title: New K10D firmware 1.20 completely ignores almost everything

Yes it is being released. It does absolutely nothing except for the very few tethering to a laptop with the new Remote Assistant.

FAR more people have been continuously conversing about other things that have been completely ignored... (snip)

This title (indeed the tone of your entire message) is an unwarranted misrepresentation of the facts. This firmware update doesn't "ignore" anything. Instead, as stated, it was released to address a specific issue - Pentax Remote Assistant 3. It is likely the first of several updates to do so. Other issues, whatever they might be, will be addressed in other firmware updates.

If Pentax is like other large companies, it has several groups working on different aspects of this camera, with firmware updates released as additions, modifications, or fixes, are completed by any one of these groups. In some cases, multiple changes will be consolidated into a single update, while others may address only a single change.

In the meantime, there is little to be gained from overblown commentaries about things being "ignored" each time a specific update doesn't address a personal pet issue.

By the way, where are you getting information about a replacement for the K10D? I've seen nothing from Pentax which even hints at such a thing. The K10D will likely be replaced sometime, but (based on the company's past practices of keeping the same model for several years) I doubt that will be anytime soon.

stewart
04-27-2007, 03:28 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote

By the way, where are you getting information about a replacement for the K10D? I've seen nothing from Pentax which even hints at such a thing. The K10D will likely be replaced sometime, but (based on the company's past practices of keeping the same model for several years) I doubt that will be anytime soon.

stewart
Pentax at PMA interview said K10D replacement almost ready and will be rushed out before the holiday season.

This is the camera that will fix and offer everything that hasn't been acknowledged on the current K10D. Maybe when that camera offers extra menu options, there will be firmware to offer it to K10D owners as well, though obviously doubtfull.
04-27-2007, 04:30 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax at PMA interview said K10D replacement almost ready and will be rushed out before the holiday season.

This is the camera that will fix and offer everything that hasn't been acknowledged on the current K10D. Maybe when that camera offers extra menu options, there will be firmware to offer it to K10D owners as well, though obviously doubtfull.
Mutley, go back and read the interview again. That is NOT what they said. What they DID say is that a 1.5 year new product cycle is too long. They were very vague on what kind of camera (if any, now that they cannot rely on Hoya R&D monies) they would be coming out with at the end of the year. The hint was a pro level camera. Here is the relevant passage:

"Torigoe: First step is to provide suitable products for entry level users, the next step is providing a product for beginner users to grow in to, an advanced armature product. The next logical step, in order to expand product portfolio, is highend machines, and we are definitely following that. But currently we are taking our steps one by one, concentrate on one machine at a time, thus we haven't anything firm on it yet.

Tatamika: A highend machine is certainly in the product planning. We have the ability to make a highend body, however we need to accurately understanding the need and requirement for such a machine. If K10'd users want a higher level machine, we need to determine the kind of performance level, features, and how to maximize the spread of cost from listening to voice of the market.
"
from the translation provided by our very own Katsura, and again thank you to him.
Translation can be found here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-releases/4337-translation-pma...-strategy.html

NaCl(partial information is a dangerous thing)H2O
04-27-2007, 08:26 AM   #23
Veteran Member

That isn't what I read into that vague interview. See my comments in that discussion thread for my own interpretations.

stewart

04-27-2007, 10:26 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Mutley,
I do not know your history with Pentax, but let me tell you, that Pentax historically has issued firmware updates repairing performance issues AND adding new features far more often than other companies.

For example, 2 years, or so, ago Pentax released the DS2. Thae DS2 had quite a few new features DS owners really wished for. Not the least of which was continuous AF. C or N would make you buy the new camera. Penta issued a firmware update that gave the DS everything the DS2 had, save the 2 1/2"LCD.

My personal opinion is that if the performance issues people are experiencing with the K10, like BF/FF problems, VPN etc, can be fixed in a firmware update, one will eventually be issued. That is Pentax's way. One thing I will tell you, is they will not announce it. They may not even document it. You may just find your problems disappear after the update. That too is Pentax's somewhat quriky way.
04-27-2007, 11:57 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
This title (indeed the tone of your entire message) is an unwarranted misrepresentation of the facts.
Absolutely. I agree.
The main problem is that Larry has not even bothered to do the upgrade and test it out himself; or wait for other users' reports before posting this absurd title.

As for his tone, here's some more examples:

QuoteQuote:
This is the camera that will fix and offer everything that hasn't been acknowledged on the current K10D.
Why use the word "rush" when there is just speculation of the possible day of release, let alone with no info of what camera and what model with what features...

This type of repeated bitching about your "issues" is getting really really tiring.
04-28-2007, 01:56 AM   #26
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
This type of repeated bitching about your "issues" is getting really really tiring.
You are not kidding - when I saw the OP's name I nearly skipped the thread totally.

I was particularly saddened to see in print that he has frightened off at least one more person from buying a remarkable camera with his never ending gripes and rumours

Rod
04-28-2007, 07:42 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by RodConn Quote
You are not kidding - when I saw the OP's name I nearly skipped the thread totally.

I was particularly saddened to see in print that he has frightened off at least one more person from buying a remarkable camera with his never ending gripes and rumours
Perhaps. But as my grandfather who was a blacksmith told me all the time while I was growing up, it is a damned poor craftsman who blames his tools.

Whether the issue is cameras in the K10D's bracket, GPS's, etc, the reality is it is hard these days to find a product line that is a piece of crap when buying high tech tools. The reality also is that the vast majority of us would do no better and no worse if we were using a similar Canon, Nikon, whatever. All of them are going to have some sort of niggling "issues" being brought up. And again, for the vast majority of us those flaws (presuming they actually exist - is Pentax's .jpg treatment a flaw or feature) really won't make a difference one way or the other. We would all like to have the uberperfect camera, but realistically, it's a pretty rare event when somebody finds any consumer product which is EXACTLY like they would have designed it and produces EXACTLY what they want.

So most people make their choices because of brand loyalty, because one feels better than the other, because they have existing lenses, because the like the controls better on one model, or whatever other reason happens to float their boat. Then they just get on with life and enjoy photography - which is why we buy cameras in the first place (presumably). The things that they don't find to be perfection, they simply get over or find a way to work around it. And enjoy photography.

But there will always be those who concentrate on what they feel a product line DOESN'T have rather than what it does offer. No matter what brand they buy, they'll generally cast envious eyes at what some other manufacturer offers in a similar model (while ignoring that model's quirks, of course). They will be constantly griping at that which they feel falls short of perfection in the product line they bought in to - rather than finding the strengths of that product and exploiting them. Similar minded prospective buyers will enter long cycles of running from one product to the next, finding each somehow or other vaguely lacking. We're talking about product lines here, of course, not individual specimans which may well be defective.

I've seen the same thing in many, many areas, and I'm sure a lot of others have seen that as well. In the end, I feel a little bit of sympathy for these people, because it must really suck to be stuck in a mindset of being focused on everything that you think is wrong with your tools, rather than being delighted with everything that you find works so well and makes you look good.

Meanwhile, guys like me realize we have to make a lot of advances in our ability before we should waste any of our time being critical of the quality of the tools we chose.
04-28-2007, 09:12 PM   #28
mcm

Well I just downloaded remote assistant and upped the firmware.. and I have to say, this KICKS ASS. Time delay shooting! Hook up camera to laptop, attach to telescope, perfect. Lots of very cool options and features.
04-28-2007, 09:57 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
Penta issued a firmware update that gave the DS everything the DS2 had, save the 2 1/2"LCD.
And let me tell you how angry I was that they didn't include the bigger LCD screen in that update!!!! THE NERVE.
05-01-2007, 08:55 PM   #30
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Rick Quote
Perhaps. But as my grandfather who was a blacksmith told me all the time while I was growing up, it is a damned poor craftsman who blames his tools.
I've seen the same thing in many, many areas, and I'm sure a lot of others have seen that as well. In the end, I feel a little bit of sympathy for these people, because it must really suck to be stuck in a mindset of being focused on everything that you think is wrong with your tools, rather than being delighted with everything that you find works so well and makes you look good.

Meanwhile, guys like me realize we have to make a lot of advances in our ability before we should waste any of our time being critical of the quality of the tools we chose.
I was thinking along those same lines today...There's a girl in my college intro photo class who always blames the equipment for her problems. If she's not happy with the negatives, she blames the lens (not the camera ). If she gets the exposure wrong when printing pictures on RC paper, she usually changes the developer...of course she doesn't notice that nobody else is having problems but her. I kinda feel sad for her, but then I get pissed that I have to find the correct exposure times for the second time. Thank goodness today was the last day and she's graduating