Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2007, 08:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

New K10D firmware 1.20 completely ignores almost everything

Yes it is being released. It does absolutely nothing except for the very few tethering to a laptop with the new Remote Assistant.

FAR more people have been continuously conversing about other things that have been completely ignored in this "major" number change firmware update.

http://www.pentax.co.jp/english/support/digital/k10d_s.html

Changes to V1.20

1. Correspond to PENTAX REMOTE Assistant 3

But please buy the replacement for the K10D that will fix everything that wasn't acknowledged - being zoomed out already in the summer/fall.

04-25-2007, 08:33 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Why do they play with my emotions?

I was going to buy a K100D for my girlfriend and a K10D for myself but now I am just going to wait, I get the feeling that they are committing all of their resources to the next digital line up and I would be very upset if it was announced just after I bought the K10D.
04-25-2007, 09:20 PM   #3
Inactive Account

This post is a joke, right your joking. Fix what, ignore who? What this is the last firmware update. What replacement for K10 next camera body form Pentax is next level, more money. It is truly a joke with such gossip.
Remote Assistant was to package with camera but delayed in development, just playing catch up. Therefore, you will buy K10 for girlfriend and next year buy K20 for you.
04-25-2007, 09:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxographer Quote
What replacement for K10 next camera body form Pentax is next level, more money.

No, the replacement for the K10D is intended for release already before the holiday season.

The next level (which would make more sense) is not being released probably until next year.

No fixes or added tweaked features in this update for the K10D, unless undocumented. Anyone try it yet? - its been out enough hours for at least someone to have tried it.

04-25-2007, 09:52 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxographer Quote
This post is a joke, right your joking. Fix what, ignore who? What this is the last firmware update. What replacement for K10 next camera body form Pentax is next level, more money. It is truly a joke with such gossip.
Remote Assistant was to package with camera but delayed in development, just playing catch up. Therefore, you will buy K10 for girlfriend and next year buy K20 for you.
She likes landscapes so I thought the high ISO capabilities of the K100D would suit her well.
04-25-2007, 09:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by anomaly Quote
She likes landscapes so I thought the high ISO capabilities of the K100D would suit her well.
Why would she use higher ISO's for landscapes? Wouldnt it make more sense to have the camera on a tripod and use the lowest possible ISO for less noise?
04-25-2007, 10:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mutley Quote
Yes it is being released. It does absolutely nothing except for the very few tethering to a laptop with the new Remote Assistant.

FAR more people have been continuously conversing about other things that have been completely ignored in this "major" number change firmware update.

PENTAX DIGITAL CAMERA INFORMATION PAPER

Changes to V1.20

1. Correspond to PENTAX REMOTE Assistant 3

But please buy the replacement for the K10D that will fix everything that wasn't acknowledged - being zoomed out already in the summer/fall.
as one of those few, I am absolutely over the moon, especially when my new shooting table arrived today, have to go home early to try it out

Phil

04-25-2007, 10:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The next firmware upgrade will come when the new SDM lenses arrive so you are wrong! It's stated on the official pentax site that a firmware upgrade is required for the use of the SDM lenses. Like i stated in a thread earlier that must have been missed, but if you have a gripe send it straight to Pentax from their site, it does help. I myself am going to call Pentax in the morning about issues with remote assistant that I've stumbled upon maybe you should call about not addressing whatever issues you'd like to talk about.
04-25-2007, 11:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Doesn't look like it's up on the US/North America Pentax Imaging site yet. I'll wait until it's there before I download and install.

NOTE: I wrote this 4-26-07 1:08AM Dallas, Texas (Central Daylight) time. At some point, the sentence above will cease to be current. For all I know, the update will be available on the North America site by tomorrow a.m.

Keep in mind that companies very often do not itemize all the fixes in a firmware update. Actually, I'm inclined to replace "very often do not" with "almost never do." There might be twenty little fixes or improvements in the latest firmware update that are simply there without comment. Or not - you just don't know. The criterion for public acknowledgement isn't that many people have complained about something (like, say, VPN). It's whether the company wants to admit that there actually WAS a problem by acknowledging that it's been fixed. Consumers think that companies ought to tell the whole truth. On the other hand, both the lawyers for the company and the marketing execs would prefer that nothing be said unless it's absolutely necessary. If they could get the firmware on to your camera without even telling you about it, trust me, they would.

I have absolutely no reason to believe that there's anything else in this update than fix for shooting tethered. Certainly wouldn't hurt to contact Pentax and ask them. I myself have had very little to complain about, but others here say that they've found Pentax generally pretty responsive to customer feedback.

Will

Last edited by WMBP; 04-25-2007 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Added caveat about first paragraph and the date and time...
04-25-2007, 11:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac:
I myself am going to call Pentax in the morning about issues with remote assistant that I've stumbled upon...
What did you encounter? Only played with it a few minutes. Ran two tests, one with 2Mp * JPEG at one-second interval for ten frames. It only captured six and failed on four. Not good. The K10D is supposed to write fast. Must be the computer or its hard disk. But, it is a new laptop, only about three months old. Disk is only 5400 rpm. Maybe I should use a 7200 rpm USB disk. Looks promising however. It's a start for those of us who have been waiting for RA since December.
04-25-2007, 11:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mutley Quote
No fixes or added tweaked features in this update for the K10D, unless undocumented. Anyone try it yet?
Why post such a sensational post subject when you aren't even sure about it?
04-26-2007, 01:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Absolutely...

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Doesn't look like it's up on the US/North America Pentax Imaging site yet. I'll wait until it's there before I download and install.

NOTE: I wrote this 4-26-07 1:08AM Dallas, Texas (Central Daylight) time. At some point, the sentence above will cease to be current. For all I know, the update will be available on the North America site by tomorrow a.m.

Keep in mind that companies very often do not itemize all the fixes in a firmware update. Actually, I'm inclined to replace "very often do not" with "almost never do." There might be twenty little fixes or improvements in the latest firmware update that are simply there without comment. Or not - you just don't know. The criterion for public acknowledgement isn't that many people have complained about something (like, say, VPN). It's whether the company wants to admit that there actually WAS a problem by acknowledging that it's been fixed. Consumers think that companies ought to tell the whole truth. On the other hand, both the lawyers for the company and the marketing execs would prefer that nothing be said unless it's absolutely necessary. If they could get the firmware on to your camera without even telling you about it, trust me, they would.

I have absolutely no reason to believe that there's anything else in this update than fix for shooting tethered. Certainly wouldn't hurt to contact Pentax and ask them. I myself have had very little to complain about, but others here say that they've found Pentax generally pretty responsive to customer feedback.

Will
Like any major corporation, why highlight problems that exists for some and not all. Why bring up an issue if it does not apply to all users. There are probably many fixes that have been implemented that will be totally transparent to new buyers as they no longer exist as issues and rectified ones to the joy of existing users. Go out and play for a while and draw your own conclusions.

I agree with Will..Absolutely!

Ben
04-26-2007, 10:37 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by -spam- Quote
Why would she use higher ISO's for landscapes? Wouldnt it make more sense to have the camera on a tripod and use the lowest possible ISO for less noise?
She is an impatient sort of lady, lol.
04-26-2007, 10:39 AM   #14
Veteran Member

The Update is now listed on the Pentax USA website.

I applied the update my K10D now works as an alarm clock and a toaster oven.
04-26-2007, 10:56 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
The Update is now listed on the Pentax USA website.

I applied the update my K10D now works as an alarm clock and a toaster oven.
Good to know. Do you by any chance have a link to a store where I can buy those really tiny, SD-card sized slices of bread?

Will