Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2007, 11:00 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Memory card error

I just bought a new Transcend 2gb 150x SD card. But my K100D doesn't work with it! At first I thought maybe firmware update 1.02 would help. But after update I got only "Memory card error" on the screen. Card is ok and it works in my card reader without issues. I tried an old 128mb card from a gps device and it worked!
I know that Alvin has this SD card too and he has no problems with it!

04-25-2007, 11:28 PM   #2
Inactive Account

It could be that the card has a bad sector or something similar, and the camera is trying to write to that, while that card reader ignores it, try running a disk check utility on the card, if you can, or find some one near by with either a pentax similar to yours or a D80 or D40, so you can check it to see if your cad works in their cameras.

Last edited by Cideway; 04-25-2007 at 11:30 PM. Reason: spelling error that changed the meaning
04-25-2007, 11:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skaktuss Quote
I just bought a new Transcend 2gb 150x SD card. But my K100D doesn't work with it! At first I thought maybe firmware update 1.02 would help. But after update I got only "Memory card error" on the screen. Card is ok and it works in my card reader without issues. I tried an old 128mb card from a gps device and it worked!
I have one of these cards, too. I bought it mainly because it was inexpensive - and because some other users in this forum and elsewhere recommended it. At first, I thought it was working fine. But now I'm beginning to wonder. I've noticed two problems.

First, quite frequently lately, when I import photos from the card, one or two photos won't import because the files can't be read or are said to be damaged. NOTE that I never fill the card completely - I always stop shooting when the camera says there's space for at least 10 images. (And if I understand something that I read here recently, that "10" probably means far more than 10, but that's another subject.) I reformatted the card the other day in the camera and I'm waiting to see if I have another problem.

The other problem is that, when I'm using the Transcend 2GB 150x card, continuous shooting just doesn't work as it should with a K10D. Instead of being able to rattle off at least five shots, I might get one or two off, then the camera stalls, then it lets me shoot a couple more, and so on. Don't have this problem using the 2GB SanDisk card or a 1 GB Kingston card.

I should say, to be fair, that I do not have the problem you have. My Transcend card is accepted by the camera and does record the vast majority of my photos fine. And I'm not 100% sure that EITHER of the two problems I describe above is the fault of the card, although the fact that I haven't had either problem when using another card does point in that direction.

Will
04-26-2007, 01:01 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for replies! I have to find some other camera to test the card.

04-26-2007, 02:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have 2 of these cards, and so far they work flawlessly. Have you tried reformatting the card?

If that does not work, the card has a 1 year warranty, I'd have them replace it.
04-26-2007, 02:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

What you're describing is not all that unusual. Because of slight differences in manufacturing, and slight differences in formating between devices, a card may indeed work in one device and not in another. With six devices using SD cards (two cameras, PDA, card reader, etc), I run into this all the time. Try formating the card using the device it currently doesn't work with (your camera in this case). If that works, then try the card in your card reader. If it now works in both, you're good to go. However, you may find this card simply refuses to work with both devices (card reader and camera). Your only choice at that point is to return it and try another brand, as I've had to do several times.

stewart
04-26-2007, 02:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Trnascend 2 GB

I have two Transcend 2 gb 150x cards...No problem what so ever...
04-26-2007, 05:32 AM   #8
Forum Member

If you will search this forum for card reformat, you will find two threads that may help. As I noted in the before and after thread, I never delete images or reformat the card via the computer; only in the camera. I also keep my cards dedicated to the specific camera in which the card was first formatted.

04-26-2007, 06:03 AM   #9

Original Poster
I've formatted it in all the possible ways. I'll try to return it!