Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2009, 08:20 AM   #1
Forum Member

Better pictures turn off SR?

Hi I was reading a review at digitalcamerareview.com of the K2000. Conclusion
"The Pentax K2000 proved itself competitive in key image quality areas against several more expensive cameras,[D90.50D,E-30] particularly when it comes to image noise and dynamic range. Color accuracy was lower than we'd like, but this is a measure of accuracy, not beauty, and the images we shot in the field, under a variety of lighting conditions, came out well." But under resolution with lots info
they found "we discovered that the Pentax system offers modest improvement where it counts the most, when shooting at shutter speeds of 1/30 second or lower. At higher shutter speeds, though, the results are hit-and-miss. In many instances, engaging the image stabilization system produced blurrier photos than turning it off. "Our recommendation: turn the system on if you're shooting indoors without flash or at night, but leave it off otherwise." If this is true for the K2000 is it also true for the K10 etc. Thanks Joe

06-07-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Joe Quote
If this is true for the K2000 is it also true for the K10 etc.
Huh? Not necessarily. Not the same camera. Not the same firmware. Apples and oranges.
06-07-2009, 08:26 AM   #3
Banned

I believe the K-m's SR is different from the K10's and as Mike said, two different cameras. apples and oranges indeed.
06-07-2009, 08:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

k20d recently released a firmware which "improved shake reduction accuracy"
No worries for us then.
If you are shooting at such high shutter speeds (faster than 1/focal length) then im sure the difference is not enough to show up in rael world shooting.

06-07-2009, 12:10 PM   #5
Dom

I must admit that I've noticed this with my K20D. I only use the SR when I can't make the shot without it. I've got no real prof but I might have to do some test.

Edit: Maybe this is why Pentax recommends turning the SR of when your using a tripod.
06-07-2009, 12:14 PM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Dom Quote
I must admit that I've noticed this with my K20D. I only use the SR when I can't make the shot without it. I've got no real prof but I might have to do some test.

Edit: Maybe this is why Pentax recommends turning the SR of when your using a tripod.
uh, you should always turn off SR when using a tripod. common sense.
06-07-2009, 12:24 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I think they're crazy. Sure, you might happen to get a blurry picture with SR every once in a while, but there are no handheld situations whatsover where I get better results with it off than on - and I've tried focal length up to 600mm. I will say that at macro distances, it makes little difference that I've notice, and also when panning.
06-07-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I take a lot of photo's from an automobile using the window or door frame as a steady rest. Most of my wildlife photo's are shot with Sigma 50-500mm BIG MA. Very important to turn off engine and I usually turn off SR and find I get much better results by manually focusing, even with center focus point turned on there is always something in area for lense to lock onto rather than what you want it to. Have a boat load of shots of a branch 2 ft in front of or 2 ft behind the intended subject. jim

06-07-2009, 01:28 PM   #9
Joe
Forum Member

Original Poster
The reviewer seems to have been diligent and he also has supporting photos. {See review under resolution} Joe
06-07-2009, 03:55 PM   #10

The review is actually from digitalcamerainfo.com, and I noted the same thing when I read that review some time ago. My first thought was that they're triggering the shutter without sufficient half-press time to let SR stabilize. There isn't enough information about that part of the test to know, and of course no full-EXIF samples to tell us for sure.

It's also possible the shake rig moves in ways SR isn't designed to deal with. Apparently they didn't have it when they reviewed the K10D, and they haven't reviewed any other Pentax DSLRs, so there isn't much else to go on.
06-07-2009, 05:43 PM   #11
Pentaxian

On K20D if SR is OM you must wait until SR sign comes on in viewfinder otherwise it is very likely you'll get blurry picture even at 1/500 of a second or faster. Blur is noticeable when you look at picture at 100%. I haven't noticed that on my K10D, it is very likely that K20D bigger resolution makes blur more noticeable.
06-07-2009, 05:48 PM   #12

I think it is very difficult for a consumer to test the effects of SR.

My theory is, when it is on, it will try to move the sensor to compensate for camera shakes. When it does that, it may compensate accurately, overcompensate or undercompensate. There are lots or variables, like how much and how quickly the movement, how good is the motor in moving the sensor, the shutter speed, the lens' focus length, the camera to subject distance, etc. It is very difficult to compensate accurately everytime.

When I first got my K10, I found that on pixel peeping, some pictures look blurry when SR was on. Its sort of like double vision in a small scale.

So, where I think I can manage, I turn SR off so that it doesn't add shakes of its own. At 1/30 or below, I engage SR. Between 1/30 and 1/500 I sometimes got blurry pics but I will know that's my problem. Above 1/500 is usually fine.
06-07-2009, 09:23 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
its called BROKEN

My SR started producing blurrier photos on the k20d and was sent back... they replaced the guts of it.
06-07-2009, 11:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I discovered that years ago!

I discovered that years ago!

RiceHigh's Pentax K100D Full Review

QuoteOriginally posted by Joe Quote
Hi I was reading a review at digitalcamerareview.com of the K2000. Conclusion
"The Pentax K2000 proved itself competitive in key image quality areas against several more expensive cameras,[D90.50D,E-30] particularly when it comes to image noise and dynamic range. Color accuracy was lower than we'd like, but this is a measure of accuracy, not beauty, and the images we shot in the field, under a variety of lighting conditions, came out well." But under resolution with lots info
they found "we discovered that the Pentax system offers modest improvement where it counts the most, when shooting at shutter speeds of 1/30 second or lower. At higher shutter speeds, though, the results are hit-and-miss. In many instances, engaging the image stabilization system produced blurrier photos than turning it off. "Our recommendation: turn the system on if you're shooting indoors without flash or at night, but leave it off otherwise." If this is true for the K2000 is it also true for the K10 etc. Thanks Joe
06-08-2009, 02:35 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dom Quote
Maybe this is why Pentax recommends turning the SR of when your using a tripod.
Actually, all of this has a very weak impact, only.
You can actually observe it using the K20D or K-7 live view, on a sturdy tripod: with SR on (or with SR off but on an average tripod), you'll see minimal flicker along contrast borders in live view. With SR off, on a sturdy tripod, this flicker is just a bit less. Knowing how LV is created, this means that there is movement of about 1/2 pixel or so. Nothing you would normally see in the final photos.