Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2009, 12:06 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It goes at f/40 at the long end - same physics that make the max aperture smaller at 55 than 18 also does that to the min.

Anyhow, those do look like drops of some sort of liquid, or residue from same. I'm gonna guess this might require wet cleaning.

06-07-2009, 12:22 PM   #17
Dom

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
It goes at f/40 at the long end - same physics that make the max aperture smaller at 55 than 18 also does that to the min.

Anyhow, those do look like drops of some sort of liquid, or residue from same. I'm gonna guess this might require wet cleaning.
It's looking more and more like I'm going to have to do a wet clean (if only for my own satisfaction). I've only have the camera a couple of months from new, but it has done quite a bit of work over that time.

If I wanted oil on my sensor I would brought a Canon.
06-08-2009, 02:45 AM   #18

Have you spraying compressed air in there? I have just had to have mine cleaned after an oily residue appeared. (My inexperience.)
06-08-2009, 08:27 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dom Quote
That's what I'm doing. The test shooting I'm doing is at f40 defocused on to a white card.

The original images was taken in quite extreme macro at f22.

Edit: Yep, the lens I'm using is nice and clean.
Then it is defenitly on the sensor, and it does not look like dust to me as well.
Get it cleaned or clean it yourself, oily stuff is pretty well removeable with a wet sweep.

I'd do it myself, if you've never cleaned your sensor before, you might want to take it to the shop.
(Have a look while they do the cleaning, that might save you money in future).

- Bert

06-08-2009, 09:30 AM   #20
Dom

I'm most confused by the fact that their is any thing on the sensor in the first place.

QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Carey Quote
Have you spraying compressed air in there? I have just had to have mine cleaned after an oily residue appeared. (My inexperience.)
No, compressed air bad.

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Then it is defenitly on the sensor, and it does not look like dust to me as well.
Get it cleaned or clean it yourself, oily stuff is pretty well removeable with a wet sweep.

I'd do it myself, if you've never cleaned your sensor before, you might want to take it to the shop.
(Have a look while they do the cleaning, that might save you money in future).

- Bert
I've got no problem doing the cleaning my self. I've got some cleaning stuff coming and will let you all know how it comes out.

Thanks for all the help every body has given so far.
06-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have few blog posts gathered about sensor dust cleaning with blower and that with the wet method, you can refer to searching "sensor dust" in my blog for the related articles.

Hin's Tech Corner -- search on Sensor Dust

I have not seen sensor dust like yours. Please visually examine your lens rear as well as your sensor. There are sensor loupe, some are pretty expensive, that you can find in micro-tools.com or other places. But I think visual inspection will give you more clues to what has happened. It looks as if someone has sneezed directly onto your sensor while mirror is up.

Others also have mentioned success with the Pentax Sensor Cleaning kit.

Thanks,
Hin
06-09-2009, 03:44 PM   #22
Dom

If anybody has sneezed on my camera I'll kill them. Nothing has been near the sensor. I'm the only person using my camera, so I know for a fact I've not sneezed on it.

Who would sneeze on there sensor?

06-09-2009, 03:59 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dom Quote
If anybody has sneezed on my camera I'll kill them. Nothing has been near the sensor. I'm the only person using my camera, so I know for a fact I've not sneezed on it.

Who would sneeze on there sensor?
Sorry to provoke such a reaction. It is meant as a humor. I apologize if that is too much to bear.

On the other hand, I have no clue what you have. I have seen sticky pollen and dust particles visible by looking directly into the sensor when mirror is up. But I have not seen anything like yours like oily deposits. I would suggest careful examination on your lens rear. See if any of your recent lens may have any mysterious droppings into the sensor.

Thanks,
Hin
06-11-2009, 05:38 AM   #24
K-9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
what lens do you have that goes down to f40?!
I think he meant the focal length on the zoom was set to 40mm.
06-11-2009, 10:03 AM   #25
Dom

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
I think he meant the focal length on the zoom was set to 40mm.
Nope f40
06-11-2009, 10:34 AM   #26
emr

So did you get the dirt off? To me it looks like some stuff that's just not in focus and not necessary oil or something other taht's non-solid.
06-11-2009, 12:12 PM   #27
Dom

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
So did you get the dirt off? To me it looks like some stuff that's just not in focus and not necessary oil or something other taht's non-solid.
I gave it a good going over with my new large hurricane blower and moved a lot of it.

I also think I've found the reason for them looking odd, it diffraction. I was using a 50mm lens on bellows with extension tubs to do some extreme macros (about 240mm extension).

I'm going to get some wet cleaning gear. I do a lot of macro work and I'm not a great fan of spending half an hour cloning blobs out.