Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What Should RiceHigh Do?
Get K-m Olive first and then K-7 later on when its initial high price drops 1420.90%
K-m Olive Only 11.49%
K-7 Only 2943.28%
Both, ASAP 1420.90%
Neither! 913.43%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2009, 01:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-7 Vs K-m Olive

I'm attracted by the K-m Olive these days. The colour is special, its appearance is special and of good taste, the plastic material is of special texture (something like those hard rubber!). What I must tell is the real camera is far more attractive than those product photos! :-0

There are 100 units on sales in Hong Kong (out of those 1,000 units produced for the World). The price is not that cheap, it needs HK$5700, but with a 8GB Sandisk or Transcend SD card and also a beautiful National Geographic mini camera bag. For your reference, a Canon 500D IS kit set is now selling as low as HK$6000 in HK. (One US$ = 7.8 HK$)

But then my pre-ordered K-7 is on the way to my dealer. It is expected that the production goods will come as early as fall June.

So, if I buy the K-m Olive, then possibly I shall postpone my K-7 purchase and let its price to drop a bit. But feature and spec wise, the K-7 is hard to beat (actual performance and IQ as well as the usability of the video function would be other issues).

I think my deposit to my dealer for the K-7 is a non-issue to me. So, what should I do? What do you think? Any advice and suggestion?

Possibilities:-

1. Get K-m Olive first and then K-7 later on when its initial high price drops;

2. K-m Olive Only;

3. K-7 Only;

4. Both, ASAP;

5. Neither! ("Go Away! Don't Use Pentax Anymore!" ;-D)

Thanks in advance for any kind help.

P.S. I tell here again to particular forum pals that I shall NEVER leave Pentax! :-D

06-08-2009, 01:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Well you're missing out on a lot if you don't get the K-7, many things that the K-m doesn't have.
06-08-2009, 01:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Well you're missing out on a lot if you don't get the K-7, many things that the K-m doesn't have.
I must admit that I am a bit lost these days when I have touched the K-m Olive for times! :-(
06-08-2009, 01:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm confused if you're being serious or not. The K-7 has some amazing features that the K-m doesn't because the K-m is entry level. So it really depends on what you want...I'm not sure why the K-m olive is more important than the K-7 though.

06-08-2009, 01:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I'm confused if you're being serious or not. The K-7 has some amazing features that the K-m doesn't because the K-m is entry level. So it really depends on what you want...I'm not sure why the K-m olive is more important than the K-7 though.
Just because it *looks* and feels attractive! :-)
06-08-2009, 02:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Get the K-7 and a can of olive spray paint. No more debate.
06-08-2009, 02:17 AM   #7
Banned

I also really like the k-m olive, much more attractive than my black k-m. however, at least for me the price wouldn't be worth it now that the K-7 has been announced. knowing how many complaints you have had about AF among other things rice, it would seem rather odd that you didn't invest in the supposed best performing Pentax digital in this category. given the options you have listed, if you really like the k-m (and I cant blame you, its nice) then I would say get the k-m now and wait for the prices to drop on the k-7. I own a k-m and its a great camera. I will also be getting a k-7 when the prices drop. it would be foolish to deprive yourself of either camera if you can afford them, and the price WILL drop on the k-7 quite significantly within a relatively short period of time.

06-08-2009, 02:20 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
Get the K-7, then the Olive

I thought you already had the K-m?

If you know the K-m, then the texture of the Olive K-m and its colour are the main difference.

Why not wait, get the K-7, do all the experiments and tests we know you like to do on it, and when you are done, find a used Olive K-m (or perhaps a new one). By doing this you will still have something to look forward to after the thrill of the K-7 has passed.

Alternatively you might want to give me your K-7 when the thrill of your newly arrived Olive K-m takes over!

Whatever happens, I am sure you will make the right decision.

cheers

Stefan
06-08-2009, 02:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
K-7, K-m and my 5D

Thank for your suggestion and vote, séamuis!

For my current case, the main reason for the K-m Olive is not because of the K-m feature and specs (I've found it to be good, although I know well its problems) but I just like its appearance and it is a limited edition.

On the other hand, I know that the K-7 is going to be much stronger. But I really don't know if the noise control etc. will be good enough to match the K-m. And, the K-m will be a bit smaller (and I shall use solely AA lithiums in it if I have it, to make it lighter).

For serious shooting, I think I shall still use my Full Frame 5D with Pentax and Canon lenses anyway. My intention to get the K-m is for causal shootings and shootings outdoors at remote places, hiking and cycling etc. (which the 5D is not suitable for these, frankly) And, my main intention to get the K-7 is it could get my long sleeping Pentax lenses new life, I hate to use my F*300/4.5 on my 5D with the forced 1.4X TC! (especially if the K-7's AF is really faster and more accurate, then the K-7 will be important to me!)

Another reason for the K-7 is the video function, which undoubtedly can be quite handy for travelling and shooting children/pets.

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I also really like the k-m olive, much more attractive than my black k-m. however, at least for me the price wouldn't be worth it now that the K-7 has been announced. knowing how many complaints you have had about AF among other things rice, it would seem rather odd that you didn't invest in the supposed best performing Pentax digital in this category. given the options you have listed, if you really like the k-m (and I cant blame you, its nice) then I would say get the k-m now and wait for the prices to drop on the k-7. I own a k-m and its a great camera. I will also be getting a k-7 when the prices drop. it would be foolish to deprive yourself of either camera if you can afford them, and the price WILL drop on the k-7 quite significantly within a relatively short period of time.
06-08-2009, 02:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Thanks in advance for any kind help.
RH, that's an easy question to answer.

So, it must be rhetoric

Only K-7 helps in keeping your blog in business.

And currently having both a K-7 and K-m ( ), I can only tell you that my girl friend is constantly steeling the K-7, not K-m. And she loves to shoot burst, just for the love of the sound
06-08-2009, 02:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Carey Quote
I thought you already had the K-m?

If you know the K-m, then the texture of the Olive K-m and its colour are the main difference.

Why not wait, get the K-7, do all the experiments and tests we know you like to do on it, and when you are done, find a used Olive K-m (or perhaps a new one). By doing this you will still have something to look forward to after the thrill of the K-7 has passed.

Alternatively you might want to give me your K-7 when the thrill of your newly arrived Olive K-m takes over!

Whatever happens, I am sure you will make the right decision.

cheers

Stefan
Maybe I am satisfied with both and starting to praise them from day to day!? ;-D LOL..
06-08-2009, 02:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
RH, that's an easy question to answer.

So, it must be rhetoric

Only K-7 helps in keeping your blog in business.
Well, I think my blog has been very busy already for the past two years even though my last Pentax DSLR I could buy myself is the K100D.

So, its totally irrevalent! :-)
06-08-2009, 02:38 AM   #13

And I think you will enjoy the video a great deal

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Maybe I am satisfied with both and starting to praise them from day to day!? ;-D LOL..

My experience has been the video is much more useful than one expects especially if you have children or family around. I found joining lots of short 30-second to 60-second segments makes a great "time lapse" style movie.

Pentax K-m & Pentax KM
06-08-2009, 03:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What's the conundrum? Get both of them, ASAP.
06-08-2009, 03:49 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I see a confused and soft Ricehigh, who's exhausted waiting for K-7, to quench his thirst he wants to get at least something from pentax now.

Get both ASAP, that means, get K-m now and K-7 as it will be available.. or after a month of its availability.. then you'll be able again to think critically..

best wishes, love your critical tone.