Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What Should RiceHigh Do?
Get K-m Olive first and then K-7 later on when its initial high price drops 1420.90%
K-m Olive Only 11.49%
K-7 Only 2943.28%
Both, ASAP 1420.90%
Neither! 913.43%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2009, 03:50 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sure the K-m is cute, especially in olive BUT...

- you are paying a premium for coloured polycabonate plastic
- it doesn't perform any better than a regular K-m in black
- you will regret you didn't follow sound advice and set aside a little more money for the K-7
- it's an entry level camera... why do you want to pay so much for it?
- no video
- no weather sealing
- there will be a Limited Edition K-7 in the future... so wait for it!
- what is the value of the K10D Grand Prix Edition nowadays??? not very much I should think. That olive K-m might suffer a similar fate.

06-08-2009, 04:37 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I owned an olive drab colored camera once

I owned one of the 2,002 Olive Drab Canon F-1 made in 1978. I ran a roll of film once a year thru it. I Sold it 4 years ago for $2,200.

I don't see how any dslr made in special color, or limited edition will hold its purchase price over time. Recently KEH had a K10D Grand Prix like new minus in box with grip complete for $535. I considered it, but I would rather put my money into cutting edge pentax digital than "collectable" digitals.

Now if money is no object, then you should buy one of everything?

The more I read, the more I see concerning K-7 I expect I'll buy one. Maybe at Christmas for the wife. Maybe not till next summer, again for the wife. I've given up on getting any HD Dslr type camera for this summer & fall trips. I'm shopping for a new computer now. Its crazy what $750 will buy thesedays in laptops. I hate seeing cameras I buy drop by 1/2 a few months after purchase so I'll wait for better admission price. Having cameras inhand is empowering, wants are overruled by needs. With cameras inhand I do not need new cameras.

Good Luck with your "collectable" vs cutting edge k mount for 2x the money choice.

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
I'm attracted by the K-m Olive these days. The colour is special, its appearance is special and of good taste, the plastic material is of special texture (something like those hard rubber!). What I must tell is the real camera is far more attractive than those product photos! :-0

There are 100 units on sales in Hong Kong (out of those 1,000 units produced for the World). The price is not that cheap, it needs HK$5700, but with a 8GB Sandisk or Transcend SD card and also a beautiful National Geographic mini camera bag. For your reference, a Canon 500D IS kit set is now selling as low as HK$6000 in HK. (One US$ = 7.8 HK$)

But then my pre-ordered K-7 is on the way to my dealer. It is expected that the production goods will come as early as fall June.

So, if I buy the K-m Olive, then possibly I shall postpone my K-7 purchase and let its price to drop a bit. But feature and spec wise, the K-7 is hard to beat (actual performance and IQ as well as the usability of the video function would be other issues).

I think my deposit to my dealer for the K-7 is a non-issue to me. So, what should I do? What do you think? Any advice and suggestion?

Possibilities:-

1. Get K-m Olive first and then K-7 later on when its initial high price drops;

2. K-m Olive Only;

3. K-7 Only;

4. Both, ASAP;

5. Neither! ("Go Away! Don't Use Pentax Anymore!" ;-D)

Thanks in advance for any kind help.

P.S. I tell here again to particular forum pals that I shall NEVER leave Pentax! :-D
06-08-2009, 05:48 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm attracted by the K-m Olive these days. The colour is special, its appearance is special and of good taste, the plastic material is of special texture (something like those hard rubber!). What I must tell is the real camera is far more attractive than those product photos! :-0

There are 100 units on sales in Hong Kong (out of those 1,000 units produced for the World). The price is not that cheap, it needs HK$5700, but with a 8GB Sandisk or Transcend SD card and also a beautiful National Geographic mini camera bag. For your reference, a Canon 500D IS kit set is now selling as low as HK$6000 in HK. (One US$ = 7.8 HK$)

I think my deposit to my dealer for the K-7 is a non-issue to me. So, what should I do? What do you think? Any advice and suggestion?

Possibilities:-

1. Get K-m Olive first and then K-7 later on when its initial high price drops;
Go Commando!

Definitions
1. Commando:

2. Commando:
Urban Dictionary: commando

This 3rd colour, olive-drab, it created a CBA urge in me.

I was never particularly interested in the white one before, but after the announcement of the olive-drab, I want ALL 3 colours.

If Pentax makes a set of 3 (or more) of anything, then I do want it (i.e. Ltd lenses).

I want the 3 colours of K-m lined up on my shelf ready for each occasion:
  • Black for weddings and state-visits
  • White for summer-time, between Vitoria-Day and Labour-Day
  • Olive-drab for casual-Fridays and protest-marches.

Or different colour bodies for different lenses:
  • Black for DA35/DA40...normal lens for normal colour, duh.
  • White for DA15 wide-angle...people will want to crowd you when you have this body because they have to see it, so you need wide-angle to get them in the frame.
  • Olive-drab for DA70 telephoto...avoids detection, absorbs radar, you can watch without being watched.
06-08-2009, 07:19 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Fashion?

QuoteOriginally posted by dave9t5 Quote
Go Commando!

Definitions
1. Commando:

2. Commando:
Urban Dictionary: commando

This 3rd colour, olive-drab, it created a CBA urge in me.

I was never particularly interested in the white one before, but after the announcement of the olive-drab, I want ALL 3 colours.

If Pentax makes a set of 3 (or more) of anything, then I do want it (i.e. Ltd lenses).

I want the 3 colours of K-m lined up on my shelf ready for each occasion:
  • Black for weddings and state-visits
  • White for summer-time, between Vitoria-Day and Labour-Day
  • Olive-drab for casual-Fridays and protest-marches.

Or different colour bodies for different lenses:
  • Black for DA35/DA40...normal lens for normal colour, duh.
  • White for DA15 wide-angle...people will want to crowd you when you have this body because they have to see it, so you need wide-angle to get them in the frame.
  • Olive-drab for DA70 telephoto...avoids detection, absorbs radar, you can watch without being watched.
So, it is just like fashion. How about Pentax is to make a new DSLR that has interchangeable covers just like those cellphones? :-)

06-08-2009, 07:39 AM   #20

Whats next? A shall I cut my nail with knife or scissors poll?

Yes. I know. If I don't like a thread, then I can just skip it
Sorry. Needed a brief vent.
06-08-2009, 07:52 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 2 cameras aren't an even comparision really. It seems you are interested in the olive Km more as a collectors item than to use. The real question maybe should be, do you want a entry level camera that looks cool but you probably won't be happy with or a new, top of the line camera that does everything better?

I would buy the K7 and a new cool looking shirt.
06-08-2009, 08:10 AM   #22
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
The 2 cameras aren't an even comparision really. It seems you are interested in the olive Km more as a collectors item than to use. The real question maybe should be, do you want a entry level camera that looks cool but you probably won't be happy with or a new, top of the line camera that does everything better?

I would buy the K7 and a new cool looking shirt.
if you read carefully, he is quite happy with his canon 5D, as happy as one can be with pentax glass on FF with no AF that is. I still say if you like the k-m enough get it now. it may not be available forever. and when it is gone. finding one will be difficult regardless of the cost. the K-7 is great, but the price will drop in a matter of months. you still have the 5D, and when the price does drop you might be able to have both the k-m and the k-7. for someone with a 5D, the k-m being entry level is a non issue. obviosuly people arent taking your ownership of a 5D into consideration.

06-08-2009, 09:25 AM   #23
Igilligan

Video smideo - for kids and pets

-edit-

Another reason for the K-7 is the video function, which undoubtedly can be quite handy for travelling and shooting children/pets.
QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Carey Quote
My experience has been the video is much more useful than one expects especially if you have children or family around. I found joining lots of short 30-second to 60-second segments makes a great "time lapse" style movie.
Rice High, Since you know as much about Pentax as any of our so called 'experts'/fan boys, I am a bit confused with your quote about the Video being useful for Kids and Pets...

And Stefan I absolutely agree that a semi-functioning video would be very useful feature to have with a DSLR...

The K7 will have no AF capabilities in video mode! That makes it almost completely useless for "Kids and Pets". Maybe a still flower or a tripod mounted Landscape video of some city street.
But Kids or pets or anything moving, going in and out of focus at full High Def... forget it! That will be pure torture to look at.

I just stuck my Video camera in Manual focus and attempted to take the "Kids and Pets" video shots. It is really unpleasant to look at... and that is with the big DOF of a small sensor video camera. Imagine the limitations at the smaller DOF of a F2.8 lens... ( I also plan to use video for the artsy shallow dof 'movie-esque' shots... so MF will be fine for those) But not for shots of Little Billy running and playing with Rover.

I shoot almost exclusively MF lenses on the K20 so I am getting pretty good and faster at manually focusing lenses for still shots... But to have to watch a video of me attempting to MF track moving kids... even I would not watch that.

Rice High... get your collectors edition 'Olive' camera and wait for the price to drop on the K7... (the second part is what I am going to do)

Wait a minute, with all the positive attention your blog has drawn to the Pentax platform, I am shocked they do not give you a copy of the new cameras when they are released!
06-08-2009, 10:40 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote

Wait a minute, with all the positive attention your blog has drawn to the Pentax platform, I am shocked they do not give you a copy of the new cameras when they are released!
Beside, almost all Pentax cameras are olive. Some are black olive, some are green...
06-08-2009, 12:50 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So, it is just like fashion. How about Pentax is to make a new DSLR that has interchangeable covers just like those cellphones? :-)
Hey, c'mon. Now you're just being silly.
06-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Rice High, Since you know as much about Pentax as any of our so called 'experts'/fan boys,
And you wonder WHY people get confrontational....
Thanks I needed a good laugh...
06-08-2009, 01:44 PM   #27
Inactive Account

The olive Km is unique, but imho the white Km rules I get plenty of compliments when I'm shooting with my Km. Anyhow, I say get the olive Km, then when we see the actual performance capability of the K-7 you can get that as well. I have high hopes for the K-7 and I hope it surpasses all of our expectations.
06-08-2009, 04:09 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Why stop there? Get the Olive K-M, the White K2000, and the Brown K10D (Grand Prix). Oh, and the silver K10D, too ( Pentax celebrates 50 years of uh, Pentax ).

Collect 'em all! Get the whole set!

And don't forget this one:

Pentax LX Special GOLD Edition, 1981 - Prelude
06-08-2009, 04:15 PM   #29
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Duck Dodgers Quote
Why stop there? Get the Olive K-M, the White K2000, and the Brown K10D (Grand Prix). Oh, and the silver K10D, too ( Pentax celebrates 50 years of uh, Pentax ).

Collect 'em all! Get the whole set!

And don't forget this one:

Pentax LX Special GOLD Edition, 1981 - Prelude
and the silver 'Titan' K20D, and the titanium LX among others we dont know about. I would so purchase that AP 50th if it were to be made available. its sexy as hell, and proves that even on a bulbous camera like the K10 the simple lines of a classic Pentax is what its all about. plus Pentax should go back to the older lettering style. sexy I tell ya.
06-08-2009, 06:39 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Rice High, Since you know as much about Pentax as any of our so called 'experts'/fan boys, I am a bit confused with your quote about the Video being useful for Kids and Pets...
Not correct, I know less! ;-)

QuoteQuote:
And Stefan I absolutely agree that a semi-functioning video would be very useful feature to have with a DSLR...
Least is yet better than none!

QuoteQuote:
The K7 will have no AF capabilities in video mode! That makes it almost completely useless for "Kids and Pets". Maybe a still flower or a tripod mounted Landscape video of some city street.
The production camera hasn't been out. I hope they would implement the AF function under video mode finally.

QuoteQuote:
But Kids or pets or anything moving, going in and out of focus at full High Def... forget it! That will be pure torture to look at.
Well, I shall set the smallest aperture at f/8 then, if more DoF is desired.

QuoteQuote:
Rice High... get your collectors edition 'Olive' camera and wait for the price to drop on the K7... (the second part is what I am going to do)
Thanks for your sound advice.

QuoteQuote:
I know that you are saying this with tongue in cheek, but honestly telling you that I cannot receive any gift from Pentax as the company is my long-time contractor/supplier at work so it is just impossible! :-) (An on-loan unit for review maybe viable, though.)

Well, also, I think the costs of those photographic gear are not that much for me. But of course everytime I made a purchase, I hope it should be a right one and the money I spent would be worthing, although the price is just not really that much significant to me indeed (compared to my other expenses).