Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What Should RiceHigh Do?
Get K-m Olive first and then K-7 later on when its initial high price drops 1420.90%
K-m Olive Only 11.49%
K-7 Only 2943.28%
Both, ASAP 1420.90%
Neither! 913.43%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2009, 06:55 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
and the silver 'Titan' K20D, and the titanium LX among others we dont know about. I would so purchase that AP 50th if it were to be made available. its sexy as hell, and proves that even on a bulbous camera like the K10 the simple lines of a classic Pentax is what its all about. plus Pentax should go back to the older lettering style. sexy I tell ya.
Well, I can't explain why I love silver cameras, and metal cameras as well.

Maybe my first camera, which is a Canon rangefinder, is a silver metal camera. :-)

In fact, I bought my *ist DS someday suddenly when I was walking the street just because I saw a Silver one. At that time, I had an *ist D already.

I had a silver MZ-30 and a metal MZ-S previously before I got my DSLR.

But however, in the first place, before I got any new body, I have to like the body and think it to be somehow good before I paid (and of course).

My *ist DS was a fine camera indeed. The only problem with my unit is the QC quality issues as well as the in-born inaccurate AF for fast primes (the AF system simply is not designed to that high level of accuracy). But anyway, it was destroyed at Pentax Japan during the course of calibration and adjustment. Really sad..

06-09-2009, 05:08 AM   #32
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
My *ist DS was a fine camera indeed. The only problem with my unit is the QC quality issues as well as the in-born inaccurate AF for fast primes (the AF system simply is not designed to that high level of accuracy). But anyway, it was destroyed at Pentax Japan during the course of calibration and adjustment. Really sad..
how did Pentax Japan destroy your camera?
06-09-2009, 06:14 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
how did Pentax Japan destroy your camera?
Just read this, pretty self explanatory and will save space here:
A Letter to the CEO of Pentax Corporation
06-09-2009, 10:33 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Why not wait for the olive K-7?
I'm sure Pentax will make several limited editions of the K-7 in due course; a silver ones is almost certain.

06-09-2009, 06:24 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Silver K-7: No Possibly

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Why not wait for the olive K-7?
I'm sure Pentax will make several limited editions of the K-7 in due course; a silver ones is almost certain.
Possibly. But last time the Silver MZ-S was not looking nice for the magnesium alloy part. :-(

And, I have to wait for longer just for the Silver if so. I think I would get the K-7 immediately if decided (very soon after production model arrives, I think).
06-09-2009, 09:45 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Get both! The K-m will sure look really cool as a collectible but if you don't have the money, I think the K-7 will be a much better value (I am guessing the K-m will be a collectible)
06-10-2009, 12:22 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
Get both! The K-m will sure look really cool as a collectible but if you don't have the money, I think the K-7 will be a much better value (I am guessing the K-m will be a collectible)
Of course I can afford it. But I don't want to waste the money. If I buy the special edition, I hope it can be useful to me.

Since the K-7 is coming out very soon and possibly I shall get it (unless there is some serious problems that cause me to cancel my pre-order), gettting a K-m Olive by now seems to be not so sensible, or maybe even unwise - have that thinking after I have been clam down and also listened to what some of you guys have told me above! :-)

I'd rather save the money of the K-m Olive for the DA 15, right? (Coz the kit lens is not wide enough and the image quality is still so-so, if it is compared to my Pentax primes)

06-11-2009, 10:15 AM   #38

I vote get k-m olive now and k-7 later but you must promisse us that you won't come here to tell us that the k-m AF isn't the best in the world.

Now, on the serious side, I prefer the stormtrooper version but have the same dilema.

I'll probably just get the k-7 later on the game and save my money for same nice lenses (the FA* 85 comes to mind...)

Best,
Luis
06-11-2009, 09:21 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lpfonseca Quote
I vote get k-m olive now and k-7 later but you must promisse us that you won't come here to tell us that the k-m AF isn't the best in the world.
I have tried the K-m for many times and each time long enough. To me, its AF is Okay although its AF motor is not suitable for driving heavy lenses.

And, to get the best AF performance, AA lithiums should be used.

QuoteQuote:
I'll probably just get the k-7 later on the game and save my money for same nice lenses (the FA* 85 comes to mind...)
The FA*85 is rather difficult to find these days and it is really expensive in the 2nd hand market - even more than a brand new K-7 body for a fair condition used one.

And, on an APS-C DSLR with 1.5X focal factor, I don't think it is as useful as it was designed.
06-11-2009, 09:26 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The Results and "Major" Opinion So Far..

"Getting Only the K-7" at about 40% of the votes seems to be the mainstream option so far.

However, if I count both "getting the K-m Olive now and later on the K-7" and "getting both ASAP", it adds to roughly 43%.

So, it is just a toss and I'm torn between the two! :-(

Thanks for all those who voted and further voting and opinions/comments/suggestions/advices are still welcomed!

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
I'm attracted by the K-m Olive these days. The colour is special, its appearance is special and of good taste, the plastic material is of special texture (something like those hard rubber!). What I must tell is the real camera is far more attractive than those product photos! :-0

There are 100 units on sales in Hong Kong (out of those 1,000 units produced for the World). The price is not that cheap, it needs HK$5700, but with a 8GB Sandisk or Transcend SD card and also a beautiful National Geographic mini camera bag. For your reference, a Canon 500D IS kit set is now selling as low as HK$6000 in HK. (One US$ = 7.8 HK$)

But then my pre-ordered K-7 is on the way to my dealer. It is expected that the production goods will come as early as fall June.

So, if I buy the K-m Olive, then possibly I shall postpone my K-7 purchase and let its price to drop a bit. But feature and spec wise, the K-7 is hard to beat (actual performance and IQ as well as the usability of the video function would be other issues).

I think my deposit to my dealer for the K-7 is a non-issue to me. So, what should I do? What do you think? Any advice and suggestion?

Possibilities:-

1. Get K-m Olive first and then K-7 later on when its initial high price drops;

2. K-m Olive Only;

3. K-7 Only;

4. Both, ASAP;

5. Neither! ("Go Away! Don't Use Pentax Anymore!" ;-D)

Thanks in advance for any kind help.

P.S. I tell here again to particular forum pals that I shall NEVER leave Pentax! :-D