Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
Forum Member

K-7 image quality concern

I've looked at some K-7 pictures taken recently (firmware v0.35) and honestly I'm a bit worried about final images quality. Even at iso 100, there is high amount of noise especially in shadows, plus some vertical banding (@100iso) ! the overall K-7 samples look softer than K10D. I remember the k20d was problematic too. This is the same place, but not with same angle.

File-Upload.eu - Your free file hoster!

here is K-7, 100 iso, 28mm M prime lens
image moved to zip file

here is K10D, 100 iso, 50mm M prime (chinon) lens (no sharpening applied)
image moved to zip file

Waiting to have some final firmware images but, if it doesn't improve at low (base) iso, this camera is definitly not an upgrade for me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

june, 14 th update:

comparing sharpness with nikon toy camera D5000 & nikon D700

The Pentax image is official one found on pentax site. State of the art star lens show a pretty lack of sharpness and contrast on K-7, even at f/5 which is basically where the lens should be stellar. What's the deal with this new sensor ?

Last edited by claude21; 06-14-2009 at 07:05 AM. Reason: bad links
06-08-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by claude21 Quote
I've looked at some K-7 pictures taken recently (firmware v0.35) and honestly I'm a bit worried about final images quality. Even at iso 100, there is high amount of noise especially in shadows, plus some vertical banding (@100iso) ! the overall K-7 samples look softer than K10D. I remember the k20d was problematic too. This is the same place, but not with same angle.

Waiting to have some final firmware images but, if it doesn't improve at low (base) iso, this camera is definitly not an upgrade for me.
Are you trolling? How can you sea noise or banding in that small image?? (I tried for fun to push the shadows, but I see absolutely no noise at all)
06-08-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Dont feed the trolls!!
06-08-2009, 11:04 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Are you trolling? How can you sea noise or banding in that small image?? (I tried for fun to push the shadows, but I see absolutely no noise at all)
sorry, image shack have resized the originals. I'll repost them

06-08-2009, 11:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
sorry, image shack have resized the originals. I'll repost them
I am not a pixel peeper. I really don't see what you are concerned about. The original seem to come from this flickr account. I am quite pleased with the photos.

Pentax K-7 - a set on Flickr

Thanks,
Hin
06-08-2009, 05:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Fine be worried. I hope it keeps you up at night.

So you post this because you expect that photo to be the same as the final firmware?

You have no way of knowing WHAT the final firmware will look like. Until then, posts like this just spread FUD. But I bet you know that.
06-08-2009, 06:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Samples of pre-production camera are not impressive at all. However it's a pre-production camera, right?

I don't believe that Pentax is going to make K-7 image quality worse than K20D.

By the way, what does FUD mean?

Last edited by Edvinas; 06-08-2009 at 06:21 PM.
06-08-2009, 06:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Fear, uncertainty and doubt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
06-08-2009, 07:19 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am much more concerned by the high noise levels coming from uninformed people than I am about any news I've heard about the K-7.
06-09-2009, 12:30 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I am much more concerned by the high noise levels coming from uninformed people than I am about any news I've heard about the K-7.
good one

But you shouldn't really worry about any of the two!
06-09-2009, 12:44 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I am not a pixel peeper. I really don't see what you are concerned about. The original seem to come from this flickr account. I am quite pleased with the photos.

Pentax K-7 - a set on Flickr

Thanks,
Hin
Thanks for the link, Hin. The full version of the image I commented on looks very good to me. Not quite the way I would have processed it (but then I don't like "Bright mode" which is used here), but I pushed the shadows to ridiculous levels without seeing any noise, so my initial impression is very, very good.

In fact, I wonder if it has even lower noise in the shadows than my K10D at ISO 100. (If the K-7 is better than the K10D at low ISO and better than the K20D at high ISO, CBA will be hard to resist!)
06-09-2009, 07:55 AM   #12

I agree with your concerns, by the way and hope the final firmware is better. Even that awesome iguana shot from Frank has a lot of noise to my eyes at 100%

Mark
06-09-2009, 08:13 AM   #13
Veteran Member

To Compare..

You need to view the K-7 image at 80% if you view the K10 image at 100% as the pixel counts are different.

In fact, I like the image from K-7 better, the highlight handling is just more updated and "modern" whilst the K10D has to underexpose the scene to keep the highlight details, which resulted in a dark overall picture.

As for the noise in the blue sky, I don't find much difference between the two.

File-Upload.eu - Your free file hoster!

image moved to zip file

here is K10D, 100 iso, 50mm M prime (chinon) lens (no sharpening applied)
image moved to zip file

06-09-2009, 09:17 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Even with pixel-peeping in the shadows, I couldn't see what's wrong with the K-7 image.

If anything, I think the K-7 shot was taken in brighter sunlight than the earlier K10D shot, higher dynamic range (brighter highlights, deeper shadows).
A more challenging shot for the camera, and it handled it well.
06-09-2009, 05:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I've looked at some K-7 pictures taken recently (firmware v0.35) and honestly I'm a bit worried about final images quality. Even at iso 100, there is high amount of noise especially in shadows, plus some vertical banding (@100iso) ! the overall K-7 samples look softer than K10D.
Doing a head-to-head comparison of images from K-7 vs. K20D, same subject, same lens, same RAW conversion, is high up on my list. Probably to be done this week end.

Partly because of threads like this. I'll also run higher iso tests later this month when the updated firmware gets available.

From what I've seen so far, I think that banding is a non issue with K-7. I'll research this more as well, when doing my iso tests.