Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2009, 03:27 AM   #196

Well Frank what you just proved is that the K-7 is way better than the K10 great shots, this is my next camera

06-22-2009, 07:47 PM   #197
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Awesome photos frank.

Your range of photographic talent is very impressive.

The lense you used for these macro shots seems pretty awesome too.
Thanks.

Yes, the A100/2.8 macro is a great lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by SpartanWarrior Quote
Well Frank what you just proved is that the K-7 is way better than the K10 great shots, this is my next camera
I'm sure you'd love this new camera
06-22-2009, 09:48 PM   #198
Forum Member

So what are we comparing here?On my calibrated Eizo ColorEdge CG222W monitor, I see a smidgen more detail in the roof tiles of the first two building shots with the K10.The second two look blown on the K10.On the clothes racks first shot, the k10's highlights in the shirt are blown, but the shadows look better to me than the K7, and on the second shot the K10 looks motion blured, and the K7's shadows still look a little blocked.Not sure what to think, and I just read over at dpr the beta camers have a different sensor than the production units.Hmmmmm
06-22-2009, 09:53 PM   #199
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know if everyone is aware that on the WDC site it was mentioned that Pentax are going to make changes to the sensor before release Don't know if this is true or not but it might make all this testing obsolete?

06-22-2009, 10:37 PM   #200
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cloudswimmer Quote
So what are we comparing here?On my calibrated Eizo ColorEdge CG222W monitor, I see a smidgen more detail in the roof tiles of the first two building shots with the K10.The second two look blown on the K10.On the clothes racks first shot, the k10's highlights in the shirt are blown, but the shadows look better to me than the K7, and on the second shot the K10 looks motion blured, and the K7's shadows still look a little blocked.Not sure what to think, and I just read over at dpr the beta camers have a different sensor than the production units.Hmmmmm
Frank is showing that the K-7 with a manual lens has better "green button" metering then does the K10D.

The test has nothing to do with details, or highlights or blocked shadows. All he is showing is that there is less exposure variation between open aperture and closed aperture with the K-7 then with the K10D.

Although it is not perfect, it is a great deal better.

Thanks Frank!
06-22-2009, 11:12 PM   #201
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks KungPOW My point exactly.

Let's skip the details or pixel peeping at the moment, 'cause it's still a beta testing machine. We'll see the actual retail thing in a week or two, so let's just be patient
06-22-2009, 11:16 PM   #202
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
I don't know if everyone is aware that on the WDC site it was mentioned that Pentax are going to make changes to the sensor before release Don't know if this is true or not but it might make all this testing obsolete?

The change wasn't made right before the release date, but way ahead. Pentax already claimed quite a while ago that the CMOS used in the final product is slightly different from the one used in the beta testing cameras. When we look at the preview tests, better look at the new features and improvement this new camera has over the previous ones, instead of IQ especially pixel peeping

I shouldn't even posted those 100% full sized photos, but there were so many friends asked for the high ISO test
06-23-2009, 02:58 AM   #203
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
I shouldn't even posted those 100% full sized photos, but there were so many friends asked for the high ISO test
frank, I don't know if you have talked to Pentax about the matter. I did. So, you may be a bit concerned and irritated now where there is no real reason for.

According to Pentax, pixel peeping is ok. At the beginning of the Alpha test, testers haven't even been told the CMOS in the production cams would be slightly different. Now, I've been told that we should just refrain from running an IQ analytics software over test images because numerical testing results wouldn't turn not final yet.

So, please stop this "ignore, it's all beta and meaningless"-mania. Frank and I and others have invested a lot of work and this wouldn't serve it justice.

Thank You.

Last edited by falconeye; 06-23-2009 at 03:12 AM.
06-23-2009, 03:00 AM   #204
Pentaxian

Of course, but there are so many people who think the change was made yesterday, since they just found out about it. I'm mostly talking about a certain other forum, where quite a few people have a panic attack
I had the opportunity to put my hands on a such pre-production unit myself, but I'll thank you again for your efforts and detailed yet not obsessive testing.

L.E. What should be ignored are the sub-standard sample images, which can occur from a variety of reasons - including unfinished hardware. My feeling is that the image quality will be more or less (i.e. possibly somewhat better, but not by much) the same as for the best samples we've saw.
06-23-2009, 03:26 AM   #205
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
So, please stop this "ignore, it's all beta and meaningless"-mania. Frank and I and others have invested a lot of work and this wouldn't serve it justice.
So you think Pentax care about your work? If Pentax find they need to change the sensor, they will do so regardless of your work

But I still agree with you and Pentax Germany - I don't think any changes will be huge, only some minor adjustments. But it is not in respect to your work.....
06-23-2009, 03:45 AM   #206
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
So you think Pentax care about your work?
Of course not. If they significantly changed the sensor, then so what ... But from what they tell me, they didn't.
06-23-2009, 04:28 AM   #207
Pentaxian

Well, Pentax cares enough to lend him a test camera
06-23-2009, 04:29 AM   #208
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Falk I did ask about posting photos and etc, and was told that I could do whatever I like, that's why I posted full sized photos. But we all know that the final retail K-7 will have a slightly different CMOS sensor (and probably some other hardware improvement too), I bet the final product can only get better from here

BTW, I just uploaded two very short video clips taken by K-7 and F*300/4.5 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kJ__JcfVR4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meT6MONXcfw

You guys can do better 'cause I'm really bad at shooting videos ...
06-23-2009, 04:59 AM   #209
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
BTW, I just uploaded two very short video clips taken by K-7 and F*300/4.5 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kJ__JcfVR4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meT6MONXcfw

You guys can do better 'cause I'm really bad at shooting videos ...

If this is handheld, I think the SR is doing a good job. If you used a tripod, you need a new and more stable one
06-23-2009, 04:59 AM   #210
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

Thank You.
And make no mistake, I'm sure most of us appreciate the effort both you and frank are putting in to this.

True, I've ordered mine already, but I still like seeing the results you're both posting here and I'm very appreciative of the effort you're both making in this. The results are proving to me that the k-7 is definately worth the price of upgrading (final hardware or not).

Cheers, and thanks again for your efforts!

Andrew